Dec 16 2012
By: AceofSpadesX313 First Son 22 posts
Accepted Solution

I need help with PS3's Connection Download Speed

4 replies 226 views Edited Dec 16, 2012

Hi guys, like the title says, I really do need help with my PS3's conection download speed. Ever since this morning my PS3's connection speed has went from 13-15 mbps to 18.8-19.9 mbps. The connection upload speed stays constant from the two connection downloading speeds. I am well familiar with my router's internet settings and I even set my PS3 to DMZ with an ethernet cable attached to the PS3. I do not wish to port forward or port trigger my PS3 console, as my PS3 has not need such adjustments from the past. I have also blocked all wireless communications from my router so that my connection is not interupted with outside interfearence. Additionally, I have tried to reset and restore my router to its default settings but my PS3 still has the 18.8-19.9 mbps connection (down), What options do I have in terms of getting 13-15 mbps connection download speed (or close to it)? What haven't I tried? 

Here are my router's specifications:

ISP: Verizon FIOS

ROUTER: Actiontec M1424-WR

Connection Download/Upload: 13.44 mbps/4.77mbps

Message 1 of 5 (226 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16199 posts

Re: I need help with PS3's Connection Download Speed

Dec 16, 2012

If I am reading you right, your PS3 is reporting a speed increase through its own network speed test going from 13-15Mbps to around 19Mbps?

What exactly do you need help with?

What service of speed are you paying for?

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 2 of 5 (221 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
22 posts

Dec 16, 2012

I do apologize, but the first thing you need to learn is read carefully to what I am writing on these forums. First of all out of the ordinary, my PS3 cannot have a speed of 13-15 mbps and I need this speed to watch netflex, hulu. etc. The first thing that I notice while having a bandwidth of 18.8-19.9 mbps is that is it is taking a while for the movies to load  up. Additionally, as I posted beforehand I have Verizon FIOS with no devices connected to my network except for me. Now all am I am asking is what haven't I tried.

Message 3 of 5 (203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16199 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Thank you for clearing that up.

As per your bandwidth issue, disconnect the power from the modem for 30 seconds and then plug it back in.

Since you have FIOS I believe you just have a Gateway (modem and router in one).

If you have a router and modem separate, then you'll need to unplug power to both.

This is whats called power cycling. This resets the devices to "dump" the RAM in them so they can get rid of any underlying errors in the data and establishes the most up-to-date connection to the provider. 

If that doesn't work, you'll need to call your provider.

Where are you getting your speed test? The PS3's or through a PC?

Furiously Chaosing

I get you so horked up

Message 4 of 5 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
18776 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 17, 2012

AceofSpadesX313, when it comes to the speeds, you posts are confusing.  I rock download speed of 25 - 29 Mbps Download & 3.60 - 4.20 Mbps Upload speeds.  These are the usual results from my PC. The results you will get on your PS3 will not necessarily match the results you get from your PC. These results depends on how far the testing servers are from you. The further away the slower it gets.

With that said, from time to time I too have experienced delays when starting a netflix movie [red loading bar take too long to load] or during play back I get a message saying "we are having trouble playing back the movie" or something like that. These loading issues can be cause by many things including the Netflix servers. Do not rule them out.

A download speed of 19.9 is just 2.487 MBps  [Mb = Megabits | MB = Megabytes] Which should be good for streaming. Even though Netflix has implemented new technology to improve the quality of all movies [HD, High SD etc] as well as, to reduce the bandwidth taken by HD movies, I suggest you visit your Netflix settings and lower the streaming quality from Best to Good. See if this fixes your Netflix steaming issues.

7FXb|Thunderstorm Summer[Twitter] @SevenFactors Welcoming Committee 2.0 MVP
Message 5 of 5 (191 Views)