First Son
3 posts

Re: I managed to FIX PS3 SLOW WIRELESS SPEED problems

Oct 6, 2008

does anyone know how to get wireless on the old 20 GIG ps3 i got one of them when they first cam out and now i got my whole house wireless and cant connect to useing the wireless 

so does anyone know a fix

i heard u can use ur laptop to connect to the ps3 wireless but i tried it and i couldnt get it to connect to the playstation network

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 26 (1,310 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Nov 6, 2008

True that!  It is either the wireless adapter itself, or the drivers for the wireless adapter.  My PS3 wired gets 3x the download speeds of my PS3 when running wirelessly (same upload speeds however).

Sony needs to fix this!!!  THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE/INEXCUSABLE!!!!!!!!

MrSnap wrote:

The only real solution I've found that isn't a solution was to turn off media server on the PS3 and disable 802.11b on my router.

The problem is that the PS3 wireless adapter is limiting throughput, plain and simple. I've done several networks tests and they all come to the same conclusion: A) The PS3 wireless adapter is complete junk and/or B) The PS3 wireless drivers are absolute junk. Speed tests run from witin the PS3 browser show capped bandwidth at 1.5mbps. Running the same test from a wireless laptop on the network shows 10mbps speeds. Both show 1.5mbps upload speeds.

Sony is capping the wireless on the PS3. Why, I have no idea but I'd really like to get it sorted out. In this day and age, WiFi is the most common networking solution. Why in the heck is Sony limiting the throughput?

Message Edited by MrSnap on 10-06-2008 01:30 PM

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 26 (1,310 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Nov 6, 2008
B10Caf, The 20 Gig units don't have wifi.
~Beta Junkie~
Send me a code,
any code...Please!
Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 26 (1,310 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3057 posts

Nov 6, 2008

KY wrote:
So recently I bought a linksys router and as soon as I connected my PS3 wirelessly, I was getting super slow download speeds. In the same room, a laptop was getting 5X the wireless download rate. WTH. I ran a google, and I saw that people were having the same problem, blaming Sony's hardware, but no solution was found.

I found the solution. It requires you to go into your router's wireless settings.

In my linksys router, the default signal type is "mixed". IE, it can be both wireless B(SLOOOOOOW) and wireless G. What the PS3 does, is it automatically defaults to wireless B if it is set to "mixed" mode. I set my wireless mode to "Wireless G only" within my router settings, turned my router off then back on, and it quadrupled my download speeds.

It is not nearly as fast as a hardline, but I can now get an acceptable .200 megabytes a second. For reference, I was able to download the Ratchet and Clank demo (1.6gigs) in slightly over 2 hours over wireless. Before this would have taken a day. I hope this helps out. Please let me know your experiences and if my method works for you!!!

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:52 AM

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:54 AM
That's 'painfully' slow... I dunno what i'd do if mine took that long. I guess i'd not download stuff..

"Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which can only exist when I do not?"
- Epicurus
Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 26 (1,310 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

[SOLVED] Re: I managed to FIX PS3 SLOW WIRELESS SPEED problems

Jul 2, 2010

The Solution is as easy as that. It increased my speed 7x faster from 1mb to 7mb! : 

Plug your controller in to the unit with the wire. Do not use it as wireless, and repeat the download.

That worked for me and I felt like an idiot because I was trying to change my router settings and all but that did not work.

This may not work for everyone but it did for me. Hope this helps.

Just to confirm that this solved my update problem with Pro Evolution Soccer 2008, tried multiple times on different days to get it to download but wouldnt move past 0% and then the 80710723 error coming up. Plugged the controller in with the usb cable and tried again and download began straight away. Cheers auballard

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 26 (1,310 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 18, 2012

i have the same problem i have a router and a motem all in one box called 2wire from gateway threw at&t  i have down is 18  megs and up is 1.48 on the computer on the playstation down is 6.8 to 7.4 and up is lock at 1.0 some timesand 1,1  can u help me with it i  have called psn sony att at this point the dam thing is pissing me off lol can u help if u can email me at garycahoon@ymail.com thanks  

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 26 (1,060 Views)
0 Likes