Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 30 2007
By: KY~ First Son 5 posts

I managed to FIX PS3 SLOW WIRELESS SPEED problems

25 replies 24256 views Edited Nov 30, 2007
So recently I bought a linksys router and as soon as I connected my PS3 wirelessly, I was getting super slow download speeds. In the same room, a laptop was getting 5X the wireless download rate. WTH. I ran a google, and I saw that people were having the same problem, blaming Sony's hardware, but no solution was found.

I found the solution. It requires you to go into your router's wireless settings.

In my linksys router, the default signal type is "mixed". IE, it can be both wireless B(SLOOOOOOW) and wireless G. What the PS3 does, is it automatically defaults to wireless B if it is set to "mixed" mode. I set my wireless mode to "Wireless G only" within my router settings, turned my router off then back on, and it quadrupled my download speeds.

It is not nearly as fast as a hardline, but I can now get an acceptable .200 megabytes a second. For reference, I was able to download the Ratchet and Clank demo (1.6gigs) in slightly over 2 hours over wireless. Before this would have taken a day. I hope this helps out. Please let me know your experiences and if my method works for you!!!

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:52 AM

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:54 AM
Message 1 of 26 (24,256 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8506 posts

Re: I managed to FIX PS3 SLOW WIRELESS SPEED problems

Nov 30, 2007

KY wrote:
So recently I bought a linksys router and as soon as I connected my PS3 wirelessly, I was getting super slow download speeds. In the same room, a laptop was getting 5X the wireless download rate. WTH. I ran a google, and I saw that people were having the same problem, blaming Sony's hardware, but no solution was found.

I found the solution. It requires you to go into your router's wireless settings.

In my linksys router, the default signal type is "mixed". IE, it can be both wireless B(SLOOOOOOW) and wireless G. What the PS3 does, is it automatically defaults to wireless B if it is set to "mixed" mode. I set my wireless mode to "Wireless G only" within my router settings, turned my router off then back on, and it quadrupled my download speeds.

It is not nearly as fast as a hardline, but I can now get an acceptable .200 megabytes a second. For reference, I was able to download the Ratchet and Clank demo (1.6gigs) in slightly over 2 hours over wireless. Before this would have taken a day. I hope this helps out. Please let me know your experiences and if my method works for you!!!

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:52 AM

Message Edited by KY on 11-30-2007 09:54 AM

I tried that before. My PS3 refused to link up with my (non-linksys) router on forced G mode.

I can't remember how long it took to download the demo, but it was longer then two hours. I might try this again just for giggles.
Message 2 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
482 posts

Nov 30, 2007
on wireless the demo took me about 25 mins to dl o.O
Message 3 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Nov 30, 2007
I keep reading people getting slow download speeds over wireless, and i don't understand it. I have a Linksysy wireless G router, connected it right out of the box , no linkys software or anything, no port forwarding or opening, just encryption, SSID broadcast off, and i get 1.5MB or more download speeds from the playstation store, (i'm in a basement also 70%-90% signal) I download demos in 10-15 minutes, message me if you have the same router and you want to go over configuration steps, or add me on the psn, name is in my signature, by the way i'm using RoadRunner cable, not fiber optics...
Message 4 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
KY~
First Son
5 posts

Nov 30, 2007
MrSubmission, I sent you a PM, but if you want to share your settings here, please do so.
It would be nice to have a consolidated thread with some router settings and possible solutions.

PS. My router has the OEM firmware, I did not upgrade to dd-wrt firmware.
Message 5 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Nov 30, 2007
Good to know, I had wireless but went back to wired because of speed and the wired lines were already in place. I'll have to check that out again. Thanks for the tip.
PSN id: todahawk
UG since 00, GAP since 03

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Message 6 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1005 posts

Nov 30, 2007
I just tried this using a Trendnet router and now I am downloading at .2MBps from the sony store, im not sure if this is the same or a slight improvment but using 11G only mode does work with my PS3
PSN: DEATHICIDE
Message 7 of 26 (24,256 Views)
Lombax Warrior
163 posts

Nov 30, 2007
This doesn't seem to make any sense... first of all, even wirelessB is still faster than most hight speed internet connection... second, I also got the usual WG Linksys set to mix and I DL 1Gb demo in a matter of minutes (by looking at the progress%, I know I go faster than 1Mb/sec). 

We have to be careful when blaming companies for stuff that doesn't seem to work... most of the times, they know more than we do and the problem is on our side... When I had problems, i read on networking and could fix eveything. 

Message 8 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Nov 30, 2007

KY wrote:
MrSubmission, I sent you a PM, but if you want to share your settings here, please do so.
It would be nice to have a consolidated thread with some router settings and possible solutions.

PS. My router has the OEM firmware, I did not upgrade to dd-wrt firmware.

I received your message, unforturnately i'm @work till 330 central time, you may want to try upgrading to the lastest firmware for the router, when i get home i'll post my router's info...
Message 9 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
107 posts

Nov 30, 2007

Steven_ca wrote:
This doesn't seem to make any sense... first of all, even wirelessB is still faster than most hight speed internet connection... second, I also got the usual WG Linksys set to mix and I DL 1Gb demo in a matter of minutes (by looking at the progress%, I know I go faster than 1Mb/sec). 

We have to be careful when blaming companies for stuff that doesn't seem to work... most of the times, they know more than we do and the problem is on our side... When I had problems, i read on networking and could fix eveything. 

I agree, as stated in my earlier post i get 1MB+ per second when downloading from the ps store with no issues, i'll provide as much info and help as possible...
Message 10 of 26 (24,256 Views)
0 Likes