Jun 13 2013
By: munkypoop First Son 9 posts

I'm paralyzed, wondering about certain features with PS 4

7 replies 110 views Edited Jun 13, 2013

so I'm paralyzed from the shoulders down. Therefore, using my voice is the only thing I can do. Is there anything with the PS 4 where you can control anything with your voice? If so, what can you control? Also, I assume it can play Blu-rays but could not find out any new information about using PS 4 to watch movies, I currently use PS 3 to watch all my movies. Thanks a bunch for any help anyone can provide!

Message 1 of 8 (110 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: I'm paralyzed, wondering about certain features with PS 4

Jun 13, 2013
PlayStation MVP
PLYMCO_PILGRIM
Re: Questions about Online play and PSN name.

R0B_DUDE13 wrote:

I'm pretty stoked about the PS4 and looking forward to getting one (been a PS user since Playstation 1) I just have 2 questions I'd like a better answer to, seeing that I'm kind of confused on both.

First, I heard that we needed to make a new PSN account for the PS4. I ask if this is true because I have my main email address with a PSN name I don't like, and I've made a new email so I could have a new name, but I'd like to know if we'll be getting a choice/ option for a new PSN name, since I really don't want to have a seperate email account I never use / will forget about all so I can have a name.

Secondly, I've seen people talking about the online play not being free anymore. Does that mean if I was to go online (lets say COD) I wouldn't be able to play it online unless I had a PS+ Sub (much like with Xboxlive)? 

I don't mind, seeing that PS+ Looks like a solid deal for what you get for the low yearly price, so it'll be something I'll be switching to when I get my PS4.

These are just a couple of questions I've been digging around trying to find answers for, any help would be apprecited. 

Thanks in advanced!

-Rob

Our accounts and trophies will transfer over.  Check this out!

Feature PlayStation 4 Xbox One Wii U
Price$399.99 [1]$499.99$349.99 / 299.99
Optical DriveBlu-ray/DVD[2]Blu-ray/DVD[3]25GB Optical Disc (Proprietary)
Game DVRYes [4]Yes [5]No
RAM8GB GDDR5[6]8GB DDR3 [7]2GB DDR3 [8]
CPUSingle-chip x86 AMD "Jaguar" processor, 8 cores [9]8 Core Microsoft custom CPU[10]Multi-Core PowerPC "Espresso" CPU [11]
Storage500 GB Hard Drive [12]500 GB Hard Drive [13]8GB or 32GB Flash
External StorageTBAYes, USB [14]Yes, USB
Cloud StorageYes [15]Yes [16]No
Mandatory Game InstallsNo [17]Yes [18]No
Required Internet ConnectionNo [19]Yes [20]No
Used Game FeeNo [21]Yes [22]No
Backwards CompatibilityNone [23]None [24]Yes, Wii
Cross Game ChatYes [25]Yes [26]No
Motion ControlDualShock 4, PlayStation 4 Eye(not included), PlayStation Move(not included)Kinect 2Wii Remote, Wii U GamePad (included)
Second ScreenVita (not included) [27]SmartGlass (not included) [28]Wii U GamePad (included)
Voice CommandsTBAYes [29]No
Subscription ServicePlayStation Plus [30]Xbox Live [31]No
USBUSB 3.0 [32]USB 3.0 [33]USB 2.0
Live StreamingYesYesNo
Reputation PreservationTrophies will be portedAchievements will be ported[34]N/A
Web ConnectionEthernet, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n[35]Gigabit Ethernet, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n WiFi [36]IEEE 802.11 b/g/n WiFi, LAN via USB dongle
BlueToothBluetooth 2.1 (EDR)[37]No*Bluetooth Support [38]
A/V HookupsHDMI (4K Support [39]) , Analog (Component, RCA), Optical output[40]HDMI input and output (4K support), Optical output[41]HDMI out, Component/ Composite out
Region LockedNoYes [42]Yes

b

If you look under "voice commands" it says TBA. To be announced. It also says it'll play blu-rays.

Message 2 of 8 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
179 posts

Jun 13, 2013

munkypoop wrote:

so I'm paralyzed from the shoulders down. Therefore, using my voice is the only thing I can do. Is there anything with the PS 4 where you can control anything with your voice? If so, what can you control? Also, I assume it can play Blu-rays but could not find out any new information about using PS 4 to watch movies, I currently use PS 3 to watch all my movies. Thanks a bunch for any help anyone can provide!

No, you are better off buying the xbox 1.

Message 3 of 8 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Jun 13, 2013

You are probably better off with a Xbox One, Kinect has a more robust voice control feature. You turn Xbox One on and off through voice and should be able to navigate most of the system through voice, which appears to suit your current situation.

Message 4 of 8 (87 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I don't really care about gaming because I have learned since I became paralyzed that there is really no gaming for people like me using just their voice. But if I can use my voice with the PlayStation to control DVDs or TV or satellite or anything that would be awesome! I'm not a big fan of Xbox I've always had PlayStation's. I've been paralyzed for 6 years and pretty much use my PlayStation 3 to watch Blu-rays, since it's such a great Blu-ray player. I hope PlayStation 4 still plays DVDs and Blu-rays and hoping they added better quality, even though it's already pretty great. I noticed the controller has cameras and mics, therefore, I was wondering about VoiceCommands and recognition and whatnot.

Message 5 of 8 (79 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jun 13, 2013

under that 1st reply to this I went there and read a bunch. And it said. After talking about the dual cams it said it will have speech recognition. Now, I have learned from my current situation that speech recognition can mean anything. It's not very descriptive with that part

Message 6 of 8 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
291 posts

Jun 13, 2013
http://www.emotiv.com/ use you thoughts to control computers. Gaming applications in development. Only because it works but is expensive to license for business.
我わくう我わこう我わじん我わ人不つるぎにてすべてのつみをかりとり悪をめつする
PSNID:BalmungTaichou
Vita owner PS4 owner(hopefully)
Message 7 of 8 (71 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
9 posts

Jun 13, 2013

I am emailing that company right now to get more information, thanks

Message 8 of 8 (63 Views)