Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: I'm just gonna ask what do online passes do?

Jun 18, 2013

Online passes are used to be able to access online multiplayer of a particular game. It doesn't add anything to a game... it only unlocks an aspect of the game that is secondary.

Every brand new game that comes with one, is free because you paid for it brand new.

You only pay for an online pass if you buy a game used and want to play it online. And ONLY if the particular game requires it. 

You are encouraged to redeem the online pass, regardless if you don't like online or not.... because it expires. Or you can just give it away to someone.

I'm puzzled that you don't like online multiplayer..... it lengthens the replayability of a game. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 11 of 20 (118 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 18, 2013

So what your saying is that they charge to play used games already?

The exact thing people are mad about Xbox for doing with the "One"?????????

Nice to know the real Intell.... I'll stop at that

Message 12 of 20 (113 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Oversig wrote:

First off, there is no need to use size 90 font.  Use of proper spacing and punctuation makes your post just as easy to read and doesn't make people think you are are an immature individual.  (Just a friendly note as you are a new poster in these forums).

Secondly, "Online Passes" are absolutely nothing like what MS is putting in place for the X1.  For the X1, if you were to pick up a used copy of a game, you can't play it at ALL unless you pay an as of yet unknown (but speculated to be significant) fee.  That means no single-player, no multi-player, no nothing.

With the "Online Pass" system that publishers have been using for a while now, if you buy a used game you can happily play away in single player all you want without every having to do a thing.  If you want to play multi-player, then you would need to purchase the Online Pass if that game requires it.  The thought process behind this was for publishers to be able to undercut the used game retailers by charging $10 for a pass and believing that people would then be faced with the decision to either buy used and pay for an online pass, or buy brand new and have the pass included.  They were hoping that the cost of the used game/online pass combined would be insignificantly different from the price of a new game that the consumer would purchase the new game instead.

The thing is, the market research has shown this to not be the case and so many publishers (EA most noted) have completely stopped using it.  For all EA games, the online passes are now free in the PSN.

So the two systems are absolutely nothing alike.  Online passes only put a gate in front of multiplayer gaming.  The Xbox One philosophy puts a gate in front of all gaming of any type.

Message 13 of 20 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Oversig wrote:

You're an idiot.... are you also paid by Microsoft?

you pay a fee to PLAY ONLINE ONLY when you buy a game used, and it doesn't apply to all used games. Usually just EA published titles.

But for an idiot like you, its always easier to troll instead of knowing the full facts..... go home Microsoft troll, we know all about your "Reputation Management" campaigns.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 14 of 20 (91 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5902 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Hi all,

Just a reminder to keep discussions here on-topic and respectful.

Happy posting,

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 15 of 20 (83 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11159 posts

Jun 18, 2013

Oversig wrote:

Er...  welcome to 2009.  Just sayin'.

Message 16 of 20 (78 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

**** I am not an Xbox fanboy thats why I'm researching & learning about Sony's Network to see how it compares to Live.

Understand their will be many people doing this the rest of this year! 

Until I played Gears Of War mind you I was always a PlayStation & PC gamer.

Now that the series is over & the "One" reveal showing nothing but a company hell bent on profits at all cost. What  the customer wants is no longer important to them or the used game issue would never have been a problem!

I remember Xbox 360's release with a defective RROD junk just to win the race to profits! I've never forgotten that you see even though most have or choose to. With that said for the people out there that own both I need your Intel on how truly PS Network compares to Live.

Any truthful response not just opinions will be appreciated.

peace...

Edit: inflammatory comments removed

U--J

Message 17 of 20 (70 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Online passes only unlock online play.

Nothing more. 

Message 18 of 20 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1804 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Actually, I thought that even those who Bought Games from the PS Store had to buy Online Passes to Play their Games Online...

Is that not True? Do you not need Online Passes for Games off the PS Store?

They are New, but I never heard of a Pass comming with those Games...

Also... X-Box 1 is going to Ruin Gamming... I already know there is going to be Problems where People are saying, I own the Game, but I can't Play, because My System Broke, & my Games aren't working on the New System, lOl...

X-Box is going to get a lot of Complaints, lOl...

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 19 of 20 (59 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Edit: off-topic quote removed

U--J

This has basically been covered already but for the topic: Online passes are used so that publishers can make money off of people that buy used games and play them online. They have to buy the online pass for the used game to play online. The thing I never understood is why used games are $5 cheaper than new games but online passes cost $10, which makes a used game with an online pass $5 more than a new game. That ridiculous pricing scheme is probably partly why companies like EA are no longer using online passes...

Message 20 of 20 (41 Views)
0 Likes