Jun 17 2013
By: mooserocka Hekseville Citizen 344 posts

I'm just gonna ask what do online passes do?

19 replies 213 views Edited Jun 17, 2013
I'm just asking why is every game an online pass cost ten dollars. I usually get mine for free with the game so why would they charge people its weird. Also I have no clue what an online pass for a game actually does. Without it I can still play online and what not on that particular game. I recently added the online pass codes in the boxes to a bunch of my games and can't really tell what it did. Is there more dlc or something. Can someone please explain the purpose of online passes, why they charge about ten dollars when it is free with every game I bought. Thanks.
Message 1 of 20 (213 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: I'm just gonna ask what do online passes do?

Jun 17, 2013

You need to have an online pass to play online.

The reason for them was so that game developers still got money off of used game sales (since normally, the sale of a used game that they made nets them 0 profit).

So the online passes were designed to "cash in" on the used games market.

There is no game that has an online pass that doesn't require it to play online, you must be mistaken.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 20 (212 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5492 posts

Jun 17, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

There is no game that has an online pass that doesn't require it to play online, you must be mistaken.

I'm pretty sure Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning had an online pass for one to unlock a chapter in single player.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 3 of 20 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Jun 17, 2013
Um no I have been playing last of us without the online pass lol. I just put it in yesterday and there is no difference that's why I'm asking what they do.
Message 4 of 20 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

Jun 17, 2013
Not just one game I have been able to go online on numourous games before putting in the online pass. I hate online play so I don't like it but I went on. So online pass not for me then cause I don't like playing online. The only reason I went online is to try n figure what it did.
Message 5 of 20 (191 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13655 posts

Jun 17, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
Um no I have been playing last of us without the online pass lol. I just put it in yesterday and there is no difference that's why I'm asking what they do.

You need the online pass to play the multiplayer portion of the game.

The single player and such need nothing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 20 (188 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11159 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Some games let you try the online portion of the game without using the online pass.  Usually these have a time limit or a level cap.

I know for a fact that God of War Ascension requires the online pass just to access the multiplayer tutorial.

Message 7 of 20 (169 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5492 posts

Jun 17, 2013

The Last of Us requires an online pass for multiplayer.

Consumer Services and Technical Support 1-800-345-7669
Mon - Fri, 8:00AM - 8:00PM PST

Live Chat
I don't work for Sony. Just a gamer helping others.
Message 8 of 20 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Jun 17, 2013

its all about making money. When the PS3 came out, there is no online pass. Games that have online, you can just pop in the game and play single offline, or mult online for free. Now they making us pay for what used to be free. If you buy a game used, or borrow from a friend, you will have to pay the online pass to play online, sucks, but its all about making money.

Message 9 of 20 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013

Kali_boiz_4life wrote:

its all about making money. When the PS3 came out, there is no online pass. Games that have online, you can just pop in the game and play single offline, or mult online for free. Now they making us pay for what used to be free. If you buy a game used, or borrow from a friend, you will have to pay the online pass to play online, sucks, but its all about making money.

Yes, it is about making money.... because Servers cost money.... the people that maintain and work on the servers cost money, the buildings that these servers are located cost money, the electricity and cooling needed to keep these servers running cool cost money, replacing and upgrading these servers to keep up with demand costs money, the bandwidth needed to serve hundreds of thousands of people cost money..... EVERYTHING we come across costs money to produce.

Why is it that people think the money that pays for employees and equipment and properties comes from thin air? It doesn't.  It has to come from somewhere to subsidize the costs of server maintenance.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 20 (122 Views)