Jan 11 2013
By: Wakefulness I Only Post Everything 1306 posts

I'm about to dive into consoles, tell me about your PS3 lives.

19 replies 183 views Edited Jan 11, 2013

I hope to buy the PS4. I know PS4 is another gen, but I kinda wanna hear about the experiences those y'all have had on your PS3's. Is there any TV tips I might need to look out for (I have never plugged in an HDMI cable to anything in my life) or stories (have you met cool people over voice chat?). 

Personally, I have not played more than 4 hours straight of any current gen game. In the past few years, I have only had lengthy play times on the PS VITA and the PSP before that. The Gamecube and Dreamcast where my last consoles (with the latter being my favorite).

I guess VITA has given me a glimpse into current gen (party chat is awesome). So, I know some of what you current gen-ites have been doing. But, I need more details. :womanlol:

Message 1 of 20 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
7014 posts

Re: I'm about to dive into consoles, tell me about your PS3 lives.

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Ok. Here is an interesting thing that happened to me on PS3. I am in Playstation Home a lot. I have friends in HOME from all over the world. (England, Australia, Japan, and other countries). 

While I was playing a game in March of 2011, a friend from Japan sends me a PSN message saying that he just felt an earthquake and his whole house shook. I went to CNN and FOX news to see a report about the earthquake in Japan and there in nothing about it in the news. So I wrote back to my friend in Japan and said that it must have been a small earthquake and there was nothing to worry about. One hour later, I go back to the news and the earthquake is the top story. My friend in Japan sent me a PSN message about the big earthquake in Japan, 2 minutes after it happened. I knew about the earthquake in Japan before CNN or FOX news.

wy7ZU.gif 

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 2 of 20 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
162 posts

Jan 11, 2013

I mostly play really and since im a soundfreak i use my home theater to play my games for great audio.

HDMI is not really a big eye opener to me its just going digital and colors mostly look better especially black levels and you need it to play hd movies cause the hollywood guys dont want you to play blurays and dvds with analog cables or RCAs "Composite, S-Video, Component"

Online i dont use to talk to people my parents forbid me making friends online because there strangers of course and if i had friends online il never leave the house and do outdoor activity.

Games are ok i personally dont have a favorite i buy what ever i want to play and mostly i would just play my ps classics

Vita does not seem good to me cause i play on my phone so i dont see why i need to pay 40 dollars for a game and dont care

I would buy the PS4.. or the Xbox Durango im not a fanboy of Sony so i go to another company for my entertainment if its that attractive

PS3 is ok well depends on the person

SONY IS GUILTY OF: "False Advertising" and Undisclosed dishonest business practices

HomeStuck "Main" - PlushyPillow "PS PLUS ONLY"
Message 3 of 20 (166 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Wakefulness wrote:

I hope to buy the PS4. I know PS4 is another gen, but I kinda wanna hear about the experiences those y'all have had on your PS3's. Is there any TV tips I might need to look out for (I have never plugged in an HDMI cable to anything in my life) or stories (have you met cool people over voice chat?). 

Personally, I have not played more than 4 hours straight of any current gen game. In the past few years, I have only had lengthy play times on the PS VITA and the PSP before that. The Gamecube and Dreamcast where my last consoles (with the latter being my favorite).

I guess VITA has given me a glimpse into current gen (party chat is awesome). So, I know some of what you current gen-ites have been doing. But, I need more details. :womanlol:

I used to be against online, but that was before I tried it. I have never been more wrong, I have made many good friends on my PS3, it is great to be able to work out tactics over the mic, or to trash talk enemies when they are near. It has been a whole new experience to play online (I live in a very rural area with many fans of sports, so I have never had others to play with). It is a double edged sword, as quite a bit of the time, people reference sports and I don't really get it, but you take the good with the bad.

An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 4 of 20 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 11, 2013
what can i tell you man, my ps3 is my entertainment outlet it even made me stop watching tv and i was a big hard tv fan (specially for watching comedies )

with games as you can see i have a good mileage it began a bit slow but uphill since then, good titles, good times

i love HD, and I love BLURAY movies im a big movie fan so bluray is the best you can get for that medium

for tvs if you have the money try to get a good LED tv, i switched from an old lcd phillips (it was what i could afford back then when CRT tvs still had a place on the market and HD tvs were fairly new) to a Samsung SmartTV LED 55inch ES7500 and seriously what a freaking upgrade quality and power consumption-wise
Message 5 of 20 (148 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11441 posts

Jan 11, 2013

HDMI cables are maybe comparable with a limousine over a taxi cab. Would you rather ride the component cab to the airport or go there in HDMI style? It's much easier using a HDMI cable, as there's only one space you'll need to put one in; HDMI cables are very plug and play.

You might be waiting awhile for the PlayStation 4, however. Even then, other than those people closely holding the cards to their chest, we don't know anything about what the PlayStation 4 will be just yet (apart from speculation). Will the platform rid the world of used game technology? Will standard or HDTVs be compatible with the device? There are much more questions I'm sure will need answering when the time comes.

As for my own experience with the PlayStation 3, it's been a heck of a time. While there are some things that have stayed the same over the span of playing console games generation after generation, in this one it's been the first time that I had a home console connected to the Internet and constantly attached to the rest of the world. While I had the Network adapter all ready to go back when SOCOM was still new, PlayStation 3 simplified things in a more compatible period of time for getting hitched on the online bandwagon.

And though there have been some good times with online gameplay, I'm usually more entrenched in the single-player mindset. Despite this, it's not always single or multiplayer experiences I'm specifically looking for - rather, it's the most brilliant/addictive/memorable/just-plain-fun games you could ever want. Here's hoping that the next iteration of PlayStation won't slow down on those good times from rolling.

Message 6 of 20 (137 Views)
MVP Support
9386 posts

Jan 11, 2013

There is nothing 'about to dive into' anything when it comes to the PS4.  It has not even been announced yet.  Everything you are hearing about it is speculation and rumor, which Sony, understandably, does not comment on.

My best guess is that it will be offically announced at E3 2014, and be released late 2014 or early 2015.  It may be revealed at E3 2013, but it won't be ready for at least another year.

"But, but, but.... WiiU..."  Yeah, the big N just released their "Next Gen" console, which actually (finally) brings Nintendo into the current generation of gaming.  The original Wii was basically a GameCube with network connectivity and a new controller, which is why it was 100% 'sideways' compatible with GC games.

Message 7 of 20 (132 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 11, 2013

HomeStuck_ wrote:

I mostly play really and since im a soundfreak i use my home theater to play my games for great audio.

HDMI is not really a big eye opener to me its just going digital and colors mostly look better especially black levels and you need it to play hd movies cause the hollywood guys dont want you to play blurays and dvds with analog cables or RCAs "Composite, S-Video, Component"

Online i dont use to talk to people my parents forbid me making friends online because there strangers of course and if i had friends online il never leave the house and do outdoor activity.

Games are ok i personally dont have a favorite i buy what ever i want to play and mostly i would just play my ps classics

Vita does not seem good to me cause i play on my phone so i dont see why i need to pay 40 dollars for a game and dont care

I would buy the PS4.. or the Xbox Durango im not a fanboy of Sony so i go to another company for my entertainment if its that attractive

PS3 is ok well depends on the person

Trust me, you can make friends online and still be the same person you are today. Since you are probably in middle school, than I suggest you do listen to your parents and avoid talking to strangers. You can talk to friends in school  or relatives through PSN, but other than that it might be best you ignore the rest of people on PSN . . . hey, wait . . . why are you on forums talking to strangers? (Do you know how worse that is?)

O__o

Also, it's not true that you need to spend $40 bucks on games to enjoy VITA. There is a lot of low priced and free content. Playstation Plus gives you free games on the VITA. There are PSN VITA games like Sound Shapes where you can buy it for about $10 bucks and play it on both your PS3 and VITA. There are Playstation Mobile games you play on your VITA which typically cost between $0 to $4 bucks each. The myth that you need to spend a lot on VITA games started by developers who make mobile games being affraid of VITA's power and strong distribution model.

Message 8 of 20 (121 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Dark_arc wrote:

Wakefulness wrote:

I used to be against online, but that was before I tried it. I have never been more wrong, I have made many good friends on my PS3, it is great to be able to work out tactics over the mic, or to trash talk enemies when they are near. It has been a whole new experience to play online (I live in a very rural area with many fans of sports, so I have never had others to play with). It is a double edged sword, as quite a bit of the time, people reference sports and I don't really get it, but you take the good with the bad.

Party chat and in-game chat has been fun and funny for me so far. I use it a lot on my VITA while playing PSAllstars.

There are quite a few "trash talkers" on that game. Who would have thunk it? Haha. XD

Message 9 of 20 (118 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Teraclips wrote:
what can i tell you man, my ps3 is my entertainment outlet it even made me stop watching tv and i was a big hard tv fan (specially for watching comedies )

with games as you can see i have a good mileage it began a bit slow but uphill since then, good titles, good times

i love HD, and I love BLURAY movies im a big movie fan so bluray is the best you can get for that medium

for tvs if you have the money try to get a good LED tv, i switched from an old lcd phillips (it was what i could afford back then when CRT tvs still had a place on the market and HD tvs were fairly new) to a Samsung SmartTV LED 55inch ES7500 and seriously what a freaking upgrade quality and power consumption-wise

Thanks for sharing that. Sounds like you really enjoy the tech!

As far as TV's go, I have a pretty recent big screen Bravia model (I think it came out in 2011 or early 2012). I also have the old Sony tube TV (CRT). I might go with the old tube TV for my PS4 since I want the refresh rate.

I am also looking at the 4K TV's w/ Simulview Sony revealed at CES,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWmPR5nfsmU

Message 10 of 20 (113 Views)
0 Likes