Apr 08 2011
By: WhiteMorpheus Treasure Hunter 5149 posts

I hope the NGP delivers on broken promises made with the original PSP

6 replies 26 views Edited Apr 8, 2011

Back when the PSP came out, one of the features that was touted was the ability to integrate games from then PS2 to PSP. It was said that there would be mini games on the PSP that would advance your progression on the home console version. These mini games would be downloaded from the console version of the game or, available as standalone product and then integrate. There was also “cross-talk” functionality that would allow the PSP version and PS2 version of games to affect one and other. Socom 2 and Socom Fire Team Bravo is the only game that I recall even attempting this.

Given that the NGP is so powerful and capable of near if not on par PS3 quality experiences, I certainly hope that the above concept is re-visited by devs now that there is extra horsepower available.

Message 1 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
239 posts

Re: I hope the NGP delivers on broken promises made with the original PSP

Apr 8, 2011

There are quite a few games that currently support the cross-talk funtion. Like you said, Socom 2 with Fire Team Bravo but also Socom 3 and Socom:CA with Fire Team Bravo 2.

Metal Gear Solid 3 has cross-talk with Metal Gear AC!D and Metal Gear AC!D 2. I've also read that LittleBigPlanet PS3 has cross talk with LittleBigPlanet PSP

Eternal Lord sig
Message 2 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5149 posts

Apr 8, 2011

yeah, there are a few games but, I own both LBP's and there are no cross-talk functions that I can see in either game... and I've spent plenty of time with both.

But even beyond cross talk, I want actual progression between games. One concept I heard about was the portable version of the game would be the same as the console version... allowing you to transfer your current progress from one console to another and just continue on where you last saved.

That's what I want. Or, some kind of portable mini-game progression when you are away from the house at the very least.

Message 3 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Apr 9, 2011

Im sure the NGP won't disappoint in PS3, NGP connectivity. Now with a much more powerful handheld and with the cloud save feature, im sure there will be much more connectivity between a console version of a game and portable version.

Message 4 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 9, 2011

Well I have to say I play PS1 games and import saves back and forth from my PS3 and PSP Go......I hope PS2 games make it to PSN for PS3 and NGP use so I can do the same.....

Now the games mentioned I did nothing really.....But I can Say Resistance Retribution and Resistance 2 was sick....you could infect your PSP (meaning infect the main character in retribution like Nathan Hale was and as well doing so extra content was unlocked in retribution) and as well could use your PS3 DS3 to play retribution.....those two features were cool....

Then GT on PSP let you port cars you collected on the PSP to GT5 for arcade use....while a feature IMHO a weak feature I will gladly buy GT on the NGP again if it has a feature similar but allows transfer of money and cars directly for GT Mode

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 5 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Apr 13, 2011

In my opinion the "Promise" of the system being capable of such functionality wasnt "broken". Nothing about the PSP prevents developers from implementing such features in current games. The system Can and Does have those abilities . Developers simply chose not to implement them into their games.

The unfortunate reality of things is that devs that werent willing to implement these things in their PSP games will not do so in NGP games just because the NGP is more powerful. The decision to not implement the features is not a matter of the hardware its a matter of development resources, structure, and cost.

The silver lining here though is that such features from those devs that have already been including these features will likely ses a substantial increase in quality on the NGP. And better yet we should start seeing PSN titles that run on both the PS3 and NGP and share save files between them.

Message 6 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Apr 13, 2011

Yes sir that is one thing a lot of use forget....there are 3rd parties making these games SNEA SOS have just given them the right to make a game on their console. It is up to the developer what all they do. And the cost is the factor.....will we make extra money if the PSP title can interact with the PS3 title....do we have enough money to do it anyway cause one franchise is the bomb and we can do that....

That may seem raw but that is the fact.....

Look at all the Capcom titles over the era of Sony Playstation (PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP UMD, PSN DLC) Capcom IMHO has re released, re mastered, re made more Capcom Titles than any other Franchise out there....( Street Fighter for example) I am going to put my foot in my mouth and say that Capcom can do that cause they have released games in their life span that are just must have gotta play again titles. Which is not easy to do.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 7 of 7 (26 Views)
0 Likes