Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 02 2006
By: Decodiver~ First Son 4 posts

I have a westell modem 6100 with service through Centuryt...

6 replies 6 views Edited Dec 2, 2006
I have a westell modem 6100 with service through Centurytel. I can't get on the net w/ my PS3. Can anyone help?
Message 1 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
430 posts

Re: I have a westell modem 6100 with service through Centuryt...

Dec 3, 2006
cannot get on the net how?
Message 2 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Dec 3, 2006
I cant get on at all. Centurytel is no help at all. I talked to ps and they said it's the firewall but the sett is at none for firewall.  It finds the IP address but it fail.
Message 3 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
430 posts

Dec 3, 2006
are you pluged directly from the modem to the ps3
Message 4 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
26612 posts

Dec 3, 2006

Decodiver wrote:
I cant get on at all. Centurytel is no help at all. I talked to ps and they said it's the firewall but the sett is at none for firewall.  It finds the IP address but it fail.

A modem only setup shouldn't be causing a firewall issue.

I took a look at the the Westell 6100 modem and it appears that it has both the RJ-45 and USB port to connect online with. I suppose this is a network issue instead of a hardware/firewall issue as Sony claims.

Are you trying to connect with both the USB (to PC) and then the Ethernet to the PS3 at the same time? You can't do that because most ISP only give out one IP and you'll need to split that into numerous private IP's. A router would be a good choice which will split the one public IP into numerous private IP's which will allow you to connect only using Ethernet.

You can still connect with the modem only if you want though. When you want to log onto your PLAYSTATION®3, you need to remove the USB cord (this must be done because the modem will recognize the USB and the Ethernet, therefore trying to send out the same IP to two devices and it also recognizes the USB first, I think) and you'll also need to reset your modem each time you switch between devices. If you just won't to get online with the PC, reconnect the USB (you should be able to leave the Ethernet cable plugged in, don't quote me on that though) and then reset the modem. Best wishes! :]
Message 5 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
430 posts

Dec 3, 2006
Connect your PS3 to the Internet through your PC useing internet connection sharing
Message 6 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
778 posts

Dec 3, 2006
Does ur connection use PPPoE

GOT PS3 60GB FROM FRY's 12/6/06 in City Of Industry in Cali
PS3 Games:COD3 ,RR7,Madden07,Ultimate Aliance,Carbon,MotorStorm,Warhawk,COD4
--PSN ID -- madlife23
Message 7 of 7 (6 Views)
0 Likes