Highlighted
May 15 2013
By: mooserocka Hekseville Citizen 344 posts

I had a week ban for no reason

15 replies 133 views Edited May 15, 2013
Hi I had a week ban for no reason. Using the abrevation for Japan is not a racial slur in any way. Also there was no way to get a hold of any webmaster to discuss any of this. I called playstation n they also had no clu who the web,aster was. They need to set something up where if a problem like this happens again it can be talked about. But in no way shape or form is the abbreviation for Japan a racial slur. That's the same as saying u.s is?
Message 1 of 16 (133 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Re: I had a week ban for no reason

May 15, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
Hi I had a week ban for no reason. Using the abrevation for Japan is not a racial slur in any way. Also there was no way to get a hold of any webmaster to discuss any of this. I called playstation n they also had no clu who the web,aster was. They need to set something up where if a problem like this happens again it can be talked about. But in no way shape or form is the abbreviation for Japan a racial slur. That's the same as saying u.s is?

Whether you feel the term is, or is not, a racial slur doesn't matter.  It's whether the rest of society that we function in believes it to be a slur.  The shortened form of Japanese (e.g. the first 3 letters) has been regarded as a slur for quite a long time.  (Since around WWII at the very latest).

There are many terms out there, due to cultural differences, that one may not believe is really a slur, but to many other groups out there it is.  Just because you say something isn't a slur doesn't mean it is not.  Here in the USA, there are locations where the N-word used to reference those with dark skin is considered normal speak.  But pretty much everywhere else on the planet, it is a vicious racial slur.

Message 2 of 16 (127 Views)
Shinra Executive
36045 posts

[ Edited ]
May 15, 2013

mooserocka wrote:

You're wrong, It is COMPLETELY different, thus making the title of your OP a complete oxymoron!

BRIT-KO

Message 3 of 16 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 15, 2013
But it is not a racial slur. It is the abbreviation thier own country uses. That is how I used the term I did not put a period at the end but that is exactly how's used it as stating the country. The abreviation for Japan is the first three letters it is world wide used. There is no other abreviation to use like I said same as using U.S. or how mex for Mexico can for Canada.
Message 4 of 16 (116 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
2943 posts

May 15, 2013

There is always a reason for a ban no matter what forum, console, or other site you enter. Moderaters, Admins, or Companies don't ban people just for the heck of it. If you look up the word that you used in a dictionary it will tell you it is in fact a racial slur or derogatory word. The abbreviation for Japan is JP, not the word you used. 

Message 5 of 16 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15163 posts

May 15, 2013

Since when was chopping off the last two letters of Japan a fitting and proper way to abbreviate Japan? This isn't the place to discuss this. I suggest contacting one of the moderators if you want to discuss it further but it's over and there isn't anything to do now.

To teach is a moment's superiority; not to, everlasting.

Fabulous!
Message 6 of 16 (112 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9776 posts

May 15, 2013

mooserocka wrote:
But it is not a racial slur. It is the abbreviation thier own country uses. That is how I used the term I did not put a period at the end but that is exactly how's used it as stating the country. The abreviation for Japan is the first three letters it is world wide used. There is no other abreviation to use like I said same as using U.S. or how mex for Mexico can for Canada.

Actually, the official abbreviation for logistical purposes for Japan is JP.  I know this, because I work in the freight business.

Message 7 of 16 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
36045 posts

[ Edited ]
May 15, 2013

mooserocka wrote:

If I were typing an abbreviation for Japan the country I would type it as JPN, I am assuming that is not how you typed it?

If you were referring to Japanese people as '**bleep**'s that would be rude & wrong & the reasomn for your week-long ban/suspension, but it is not the same as saying U.S. for America, as for Mexico, I would probably type MEX, if I were referring to the country but if  were referring to the people I would say Mexican.

BRIT-KO

EDIT: Just noticed it bleeped out the word YOU used!!!

Message 8 of 16 (106 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 15, 2013
Since that is the abreviation they use. I'm mad cause I didn't get a warning or nothing. If I did I would have stopped using the abreviation. N typed the last two letters out. But it is like I said how can is for Canada and mex is for Mexico. England is different its like gbt or something I'm not sure though. I did not mean it in any way as a racial slur and I think it's stupid it was interpreted as so. How about next time I get a warning first so I kno then ifmimcontinue using it ban me. Geeez. Now I know not to abbreviate Japan anymore.
Message 9 of 16 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
344 posts

May 15, 2013
Brit it is how I typed it I said the three letter word for a game. If it was an English game I would have said that. But I said the game was from Japan that is how I used it but used an abreviation. I will never use it again. I work for the post office and every country needs three letters and that is the abreviation we use. I think it's funny that if I was talking about our football team in Washington the redskins it would not be interpreted as a racial slur when it is way way more harm ful then the abreviation of a country. That is allowed though. I dunno look I won't use the abreviation anymore but hey web,aster how about a warning next time all I ask.
Message 10 of 16 (95 Views)
0 Likes