Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 15 2011
By: GrayGargoyle PlayStation MVP 10920 posts

I got A+! Now I have some questions about the Plus service...

5 replies 10 views Edited Mar 15, 2011

I've been stewing about whether to get PlayStation Plus recently. I wasn't sure, and frankly I still feel like I've made a gamble on the service. But, I have also been a bit worried that I'd miss out on the free Spyro game available for the time being.

That aside, I've noticed when trying out the new Cloud saving process that the folder that once read 0/150 now says 142/150 or 145/150 (I forget which) after copying my Call of Duty data file onto there. The file itself isn't that large (from what I remember). It being somewhere in the 3,000+ KB space, at least from what I can remember, seems like it wouldn't equal 140+ megabytes. But I'm thinking... does the Cloud storage bin count backwards? Is it just telling me I have 140-whatever MB left, or just a drop?

I'm also curious to know whether there are other things about the Plus service I may have forgotten about around the system? I'm aware of the Cloud saves as well as the automatic updates. Is there anything else that the system will push for extra now that I'm a Plus member? What about the PlayStation Rewards program? Is that still going on, or have I missed the boat?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Re: I got A+! Now I have some questions about the Plus service...

Mar 15, 2011

Gray,

From what I remember from last week when I last used my PS3, the storage numbers do count down. So the 142/150 or 145/150 that you are seeing is how much you have left. It does seem kind of backwards, but i guess I can see why they did it that way. As for other features, the "free" content, auto-updates and cloud storage are the only current perks. The PS Rewards beta program was available to all PS+ members, but it is no longer taking new members. The data that they original stated for the program to start for all members was April 1st, so you might not have too much longer to wait on that. I suggest keeping any eye on these PS+ message boards for PS+ updates or an even better source will be the PS blog.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Mar 16, 2011

Mark summed it up pretty well, although I highly reccommend getting Playstation Plus, for all of the early demos, free themes, games, avatars, beta's, etc,etc. You also get the "extra 3 months" for free for a limited time. I honestly don't really buy too much stuff off of psn, but over the course of 6-7 months i've bought tons of awesome stuff (at a discounted price of course) and I don't regret it at all. I've been in tons of beta's and I don't regret it one bit.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10920 posts

Mar 16, 2011

Thanks for the feedback, mark. Already I've downloaded the Spyro game I wanted and claimed the discount on Gravity Crash. So I've reached $11 savings out of the $50 I've spent on Plus already. I am wondering about the automatic update system though. Does that actually turn the PlayStation 3 on at the time it's set, or is it done under the hood? I've noticed all the many games I had already finished downloading were automatically ready when booting up the system again today.

Of the other content I've downloaded there were a few free Minis (just to try them out), the Mortal Kombat demo (meh), the newest Qore (which I really don't care at all for... but, whatever, it's free), some free add-ons for a couple of PSN games I own (but haven't played in a long time), and some free themes. The Spyro game is what I've wanted to get Plus for most... although, Stacking would've been nice. So far I'm not that excited about being a Plus member as there's no major reason for it just yet. I'm waiting for the kind of equal measure where I'm stepping into the DC Universe Online beta or have a $15 game such as Stacking presented for free. Until then, I'll wait to see what other incentives might pop up.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Mar 16, 2011

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, mark. Already I've downloaded the Spyro game I wanted and claimed the discount on Gravity Crash. So I've reached $11 savings out of the $50 I've spent on Plus already. I am wondering about the automatic update system though. Does that actually turn the PlayStation 3 on at the time it's set, or is it done under the hood? I've noticed all the many games I had already finished downloading were automatically ready when booting up the system again today.

Of the other content I've downloaded there were a few free Minis (just to try them out), the Mortal Kombat demo (meh), the newest Qore (which I really don't care at all for... but, whatever, it's free), some free add-ons for a couple of PSN games I own (but haven't played in a long time), and some free themes. The Spyro game is what I've wanted to get Plus for most... although, Stacking would've been nice. So far I'm not that excited about being a Plus member as there's no major reason for it just yet. I'm waiting for the kind of equal measure where I'm stepping into the DC Universe Online beta or have a $15 game such as Stacking presented for free. Until then, I'll wait to see what other incentives might pop up.

The automatic update system turns on at whatever time you've set for the ps3 to turn on and download something. And it seems like the main reason you bought PS+ was just for Spyro, which you could have bought for $6.00 instead of spending $50.00 on a service that you were unaware about.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10920 posts

Mar 17, 2011

halowars7 wrote:

The automatic update system turns on at whatever time you've set for the ps3 to turn on and download something. And it seems like the main reason you bought PS+ was just for Spyro, which you could have bought for $6.00 instead of spending $50.00 on a service that you were unaware about.

No, I'm completely familiar with how PlayStation Plus operates. When looking at the Plus service recently there were things I would've gotten it for beforehand, but didn't at the time. Those options went away. When asking about Plus here in the boards recently, and from others' advice too, the response generally boiled down to this: you can buy it or you can't - you can miss out or you can't. So, I went for it.

As I've said in another thread, the things I wanted from Plus right now that I was afraid would disappear soon consisted of Gravity Crash and the Spyro game. Those being the most important, I wish there was more the Plus service offered right now... but unfortunately it doesn't have great incentives at this point in time. I'm just gambling here right now, as besides the SOCOM 4 beta I really have no idea what the future holds for Plus. But then again, no one does (besides the people in charge of the service). So like anyone who has Plus, I'm just placing my bet on the table when I did to get what I can before those desirables vanish.

If something else extremely good comes up in the future, that's what I'd like to refer to when I say I'm glad I paid for Plus. Those sorts of features I would describe as equal value to betas I actually want to participate in and free or discounted games I actually want to play. Sonic the Hedgehog is a freebie I now have, but it's a game I've also played a number of times before. In other words, it's not something I'm exactly stoked about playing through again.

I also realize that the automatic update happens at the time I've set the system to. The question is though... at the time that the system is set, does the system literally turn its power on in order to receive those updates, or does it do this without turning itself on?

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 6 (10 Views)
0 Likes