May 31 2009
By: otic101 I Only Post Everything 1010 posts
  • Find more conversations like this:
  • Other

I fixed my PS3's YLOD (guides to fixing yours inside)

[ Edited ]
13 replies 13939 views Edited May 3, 2014

Yes! The problem that has been plaguing the few ps3's out there for some time has been conquered by many through some simple steps witch will be put on this thread. Firstly my story and experiences: It started a while back when I read up on the "Infamous" YLOD (BTW go buy Infamous if you haven't already ^^ LOL Sony you owe me one.), and saw that just like the swine flu this bad boy was spreading pretty fast amongst the few ps3 owners out there. Being as though I have a launch 60 gig PS3 and a 1st batch 80 gig I was curious to witch it would hit first. I then got a call from a friend few months back that got his YLOD but the cause was unknown to him the only thing he notice was the recent weather change in Texas that became really hot at that point of time. So I immediately knew it was related to heat or humidity. Most people fear the YLOD but not me I was ecstatic when I herd because I only knew it would be a short time before I would get my YLOD. To no avail I was correct 3 months later Indeed got my YLOD, but why?!? What was different?!? What went wrong?!?! 

things that I have noticed before the YLOD
*fan speeds were higher then normal was hitting fan speed 4 on a regular basis. ( I play fix online on my ps3 and for long periods of time )
*CPU seemed to be slower just a tad bit but noticeable
*PS3 will ask you to auto organize ps3 more often (still don't know as in why but might be like defragmenters for PC's I  have tons of stuff in my 80 gig so not sure if this does it to all)

*Games would freeze up on me frequently especially home in the most recent days

*internet browser would also freeze up on me more then normal

**** the ps3 will beep 3 times and self shut down (this is very important because it's the PS3's last resort to save itself at this point don't turn it on. Wait about 1-2 hours of cool down time before attempting to turn it back on and for the love of all that is Sony do not turn off the PS3 from the back)

Now when you look at these little slips you could right off the bat tell that these symptoms sound like Temperature control issue.

OK my disclaimer

Keep in mind that I do not work for Sony or speak on sony's behalf in any way or form.
Sony does not encourage anyone to open and or tamper with the PS3 and doing so can and will Void your warranty.
I do not and nore does anyone that provides info for this thread will take any responsibility for the failure or damage
you cause to your ps3 using this info. Even though this is fairly easy there is always some slight chance that you might do something wrong.

The reason for YLOD
in total there are 3 things that can cause the YLOD but the most common is Over heating

*faulty power supply: (this is caused by to much strain on the power supply; For example having so many things always plugged into your ps3. Remotes with LED lights built into them, having in proper ventilation add ons all play a part in this. Now this isn't something that happens over night but from constant abuse of the power supply. This can be fixed by changing the power supply) how to change power supply

*hard drive failure or hard drive error: this is some what easy to find out if you have a PC that can connect to your hard drive. Just pop it in the PC and your ps will recognize only a portion of it. As long as it recognizes the hard drive then you know it isn't dead, If so replace your current HD. can be fixed by this method

** over heated: this is the most common of the problems witch consist of the ps3 having reached temperatures high enough to soften the soldering, and causing the CPU or GPU to slightly off flow itself from the mother board. can be fixed by this method

*For an added bonus to the thread I might as well throw in some blu ray drive fixes.  blu ray drive fix

I hope this has helped you all and if you have any questions concerns or comments please feel free to contact me.
Long Live the PS3!

Message Edited by otic101 on 05-30-2009 11:43 PM
Message Edited by otic101 on 05-30-2009 11:49 PM
Message Edited by otic101 on 05-30-2009 11:55 PM

added label other -FluffyKitty_0256
Message 5 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: I fixed my PS3's YLOD

May 31, 2009

Sorry to be an ass about it, but I'm sure there's a lot of good info there, but too many words are not spelled right.  It's a real turn off.

Message 1 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
424 posts

May 31, 2009

Solar_Difusion wrote:

Sorry to be an ass about it, but I'm sure there's a lot of good info there, but too many words are not spelled right.  It's a real turn off.

Indeed.

Message 2 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1010 posts

May 31, 2009
Message 3 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
424 posts

May 31, 2009
I believe you have a lot of great information out there for people who need to fix their consoles, and to do that themselves, you make it easier for them to find the link to do that, all in one post. Kudos mate

Message 4 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1010 posts

May 31, 2009
It's no problem at all, I love helping people and just like the rest of the issues in the world the more we know about our problem the faster we can get a solution. I'm not one to take credit for this but our community as a whole, because unlike the other system this fix came from the fan base witch is saying alot. Sony we got your back!
Message 6 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2023 posts

May 31, 2009
Seems very informative and holds plenty of information to find in a single thread.  However, I looked at that Blu-Ray dissasembly tutorial and while it gives the right steps to open and clean it, I found it very hard to read that font.  Perhaps you can find another video showing the steps properly, and link to both.
Message 7 of 14 (13,939 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Re: I fixed my PS3's YLOD (guides to fixing yours inside)

Dec 23, 2012

The link you have to fixing the power source is some kind of joke and simply tells you how to take apart your ps3, not fix anything or even put it back together. **bleep**.

Message 8 of 14 (12,857 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 3, 2014
Hello i really need help my ps3 was dropped and now it has been taken apart and put back together and still cuts off five seconds after being turned on please help me
Message 9 of 14 (7,553 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3064 posts

May 3, 2014

Cool stuff. I have a 40GB model that died on me in 2011, not sure what the issue is whether it overheated or if it's a hard drive issue. I do know I wouldn't  mind getting it fixed and possibly selling it as I have a 160 GB PS 3 slim which replaced it and a PS 4.

Message 10 of 14 (7,529 Views)
0 Likes