Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Re: I feel like handhelds are for kids..

Nov 7, 2011

@Naumov23 what do you think mobile phone games are any more adult? In the end they are basically the same thing. also if you do like apps well ps vita will also have that as well with playstation suite SDK.

on top of everything why would you want to waste time on you're phones battery playing a game. when you could use a 2nd gamming device to not waste the time on you're phones battery, and use that extra time you get for other things like calling someone, or whatever.

to me it just seems you do like handhelds ,but peer pressure is pushing you back.

on a side note most people do not play there handhelds as there out. some play it in hotels ,in bathrooms, laying down, in there bed, at there grandmas, or a day they did not feel like getting up, and going to the tv because of whatever.  not many actually play them on the go.

me I like handhelds more then home gamming systems. why well because of the types of games that are made for handhelds. also how I can go anywhere in my house sit in any position ,  and have the freedom to go anywhere if i so choose to, and also not be stuck on my tv or pc in one room.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 11 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 7, 2011

Hm.. if you think about there are tons of games on consoles and handhelds that are rated M for Mature (17 and older...) so I wouldn't say Call of Duty, Resistance, Killzone or Uncharted is for "kids"

Message 12 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
281 posts

Nov 7, 2011

I think it depends on the platform. IMO, the 3DS is very kiddish and is only now starting to see games for 'older' people. The Vita however does have a lot of mature games coming out like resistance and killzone so I wouldn't say handhelds are for kids. I do understand your point though because I loved my handhelds when I was a kid (Gameboy, Gameboy colour, Gamegear, Gameboy advance) and the PSP was a good machine as well. I'm taking a chance with this one because I think it will be great. I used to have a DS but the games for it are so childish and there's only a few must have games really.

Anyway, the short answer to your question is no....

Message 13 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3002 posts

Nov 8, 2011

Hey guys,

please keep any kind of personal attack out of this thread

Now - on topic...

I think the Vita is really a grown up model of handheld. It's got a lot of advanced features that would appeal to and draw in older games, along with more mature games like has already been mentioned.

Message 14 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Nov 8, 2011

It really is all a matter of personal preference. I play lots of games on DS and PSP, and plan to get a Vita. It's funny, because in my case, having played video games for over 25 years, I am actually gravitating towards handhelds, and away from consoles. I've got the DS for more casual games (love the TouchMaster series), and I love the fighting games on PSP. I can kick back with a handheld on the couch, on a recliner, on my porch, anywhere. I'm also a retro fan,so I know the Vita's compatibility with PSP on PSN titles will fit the bill nicely.

I do not have a PS3 or Xbox 360, and am not really interested in either.

I am very much looking forward to the PS Vita.

I am a portable gamer now, because that's how I roll.

Message 15 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
561 posts

Nov 9, 2011

I think it all boils down to the type of gamer you are and where you play, and with modern handhelds, what else you do with your PSP.

I'm pushing 40 and still use my PSP. The games are smarter, and I have the GPS, and the Camera with the european software so I can make stop motion videos and take pics of the kids. I bought all my kids PSP's (3000's) and got them a camera as well. One loves hers a plays it constantly and sends me pics etc. One only uses the camera and doesn't play the games that much, the last hasn't toushed hers in 6 months. My 11 your old buy prefers the DS we have, because of the games he plays, but still used the PSP for portable internet, and FPS games.

I say look at what the PSVita does and decide if you will use it. With skype on a 3g unit you have a hasic cell phone with a lot of smart phone options. If they put iBook on the PS Vita I will be getting rid of my phone in favor of the vita. I hate phone games, and I game and read books all day (bus ride home, lunch break, smoke break). I use my PS3 enough, and use my PSP enough it still makes sence for me.

But if you are not going to use at least half the new features, and don't play handheld games at least 3 times a week, can you really justify 300 bucks, plus games. In that case I would say save some money and get another 3000. The price of games will drop like a stone and system in self is already down to 130

Alacrity

AlacrityFitz Trophy Card
Message 16 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Nov 9, 2011

I'm sure many would say all video games are for kids. That didn't stop you from getting a PS3 or PSP did it? Why would it be different with a Vita?

Message 17 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Nov 10, 2011

ATRamos1652 wrote:

I'm 30 and I still want a PS Vita. I have plenty of responsibilities to take care of, but there will always be time for gaming, even on handhelds.

So to answer your question, no, you're not too old for a PS Vita.

This thread just reminded me of this commercial:

Haha! Yeah, I have seen that commercial before. Good marketting (I guess) makes commercials serve as an analogy for conversation.

To the thread's author, I would simply respond that you should not waste your time trying to be something that is in the minds eye for someone else. Be your self, otherwise you will go though life being insecure, not sure what to do and have very little confidence in your self or in your decisions and these thoughts will show up in you actions.

If you want to buy a PS Vita than buy it. Not that I am forcing you to buy it (as bias aka "fan boyish" as it might seem) but, do what you feel is good. It is not hurting anyone if you buy a PS Vita especially if you want to play a video game to bring you some form of entertain for a determinate amount of time. I see no particular harm in playing video games, especially if other people really want to lay video games. It seems like a win-win scenario, tbh.

Do not listen to other people's critiques, if they are not constructive and if they do not apply to you. Go with the flow.

Message 18 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8824 posts

Nov 14, 2011

I can see what you mean. But gaming is for everyone know a days its more an entertainment piece than "just for kids". But imo I'm going to get a weird feeling though when I have my breaks around campus using the Vita. This is more of a "mature" handheld person's gaming choice. I wasn't interested in the 3ds cause of the lack of games that applied to me. Then the Vita came along.

Message 19 of 19 (27 Views)
0 Likes