MVP Support
5979 posts

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013

Mr-Quu wrote:

da1writer wrote:

a24fan wrote:

An SSD has nothing to do with graphics. The only thing that would do is make the load times faster. 

While you are somewhat right, it's not entirely the case. While no hard drive can produce better graphics or anything, it can stream graphics in faster for games that heavily rely on that. Rage is a perfect example, the Video below was not photoshopped or anything, this is a HHD/SSHD/SSD stress load test. Rage heavily relies on Texture Streaming due to id tech 5's Mega Texture engine being deployed, and the video shows that due to the speed and cache provided by the drives, a SSHD and SSD is generally faster in streaming in the textures alot faster. Proof is in the pudding, you or anyone can deny it but the video proves otherwise (bump to 720p fullscreen to see the differences more closely) ...

Pricing is key though, if you can afford it and have the money, I guess an SSD is ideal. Those who want the speed of an SSD and large storage space vs price ratio that a HDD has while being still affordable - a SSHD is ideal (and highly recommended). 

That's pretty awesome.  Will a lot of next gen games rely heavily on texture streaming?

Even with the ram available, I'm sure optimizations done on developers part for next gen will still utilze Texture Streaming, one of the newest Killzone Shadow Fall video's even mention this being the case (lower texture assests are affar to improve performance but higher assets are streamed in as you get closer). So expect a SSHD or SSD to help  - how little or how much is unknown as we don't have the consoles yet. I'm sure someone will test it out via youtube uploader (maybe even Digital Foundry again, especially can't wait for them to do game comparisons between next gen and current gen).

Message 31 of 51 (453 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Oct 28, 2013
Message 32 of 51 (414 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5979 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 28, 2013

SantanaThaGod wrote:
Can I use this as my new head drive for my ps4 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00EIQTKAS/ref=nosim/7240515rg4450-20?s=merchant&m=ATVPDKIKX0...

No, the PS4 only accepts laptop hard drives aka 2.5 hard drives, not 3.5. You also have a maximum of 12.5mm, nothing bigger will fit. If a higher amount capacity is something you're looking into, your fastest, largest , affordable drive for the PS4 to get is this HGST 1.5TB.

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J28001/dp/B00EDIU5IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF...

It's $124 and it's a speedy Sata III. Plus the default hard drive in the PS4 it's also made by HGST (500GB version).

Message 33 of 51 (410 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Oct 28, 2013

PheeNoIVI wrote:
What is the point of putting an ssd in the ps4? The graphics are stuck at what they are. You can control them to your specific hardware like a pc. So what's the point? seems like a really expensive speed boost for load times?

Hard drives have literally, NOTHING to do with graphics.....

Graphics quality are dependent on 3 things.... CPU, GPU, and Texture memory/bandwidth.

NOT storage capacity.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 34 of 51 (404 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Oct 28, 2013
Thank you man I appreciate the into I also found this one http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF... is that one better than the one you just suggested
Message 35 of 51 (404 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5979 posts

Message 36 of 51 (399 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Oct 28, 2013
Oh ok thanks man I just want more space because I download all of my games pretty much
Message 37 of 51 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
342 posts

Oct 28, 2013

The major problem is that with the increase in game sizes and stuff it might have troubles down the road when nearing cap. Then there's the issue with having SSD saving utilities like TRIM and other stuff the OS needs to run and we don't know if the PS4 is running that.

Expensive upgrade for very minimal gain on a console.

If anything, if you live in an area with a lot of earthquakes, then sure this might be useful.

Message 38 of 51 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
40 posts

Oct 29, 2013
So which one should I go with ?
Message 39 of 51 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6972 posts

Nov 7, 2013

I wonder how hard it would be, or if it would work (it should), if I created an enclosure that would sit outside the PS4 and utilize some cabling such as this?

http://industrialcomponent.com/oem/sataext12.html

Theoretically this would work and then you could use ANY HDD you desired.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 40 of 51 (241 Views)
0 Likes