Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
9312 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 20, 2013
Ssds are not affordable, they are still quite expensive, and besides throwing away a 500gb hard drive Nd replace it with something that has less space is absurd... Especially when you can get the best of both worlds by buying a hybrid drive,, you get faster loading times without sacrificing space.. And it's cheaper.. Especially if your going all digital... After all wasn't kill zone confirmed to take 50gb ,
>

Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 51 (444 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 02/02/2005
Online
9312 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013
$600 for a tb ssd.... I think not.. I don't believe the hard drive should be worth more than the console
>

Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 51 (443 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/20/2008
Online
3030 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 20, 2013

Matsudaira wrote:

I'm getting an SSD, and it has nothing to do with graphics (obviously). The benefit of an SSD is to enjoy faster load times. A game does not have to be optimized to see the benfits of using an SSD over a standard HDD. SSD is quite affordable these days.


As I was looking for some SSD's, I noticed that the OS must be TRIM compatible. You might want to hold off on buying a SSD for your PS4. It is my understanding that SSD's require TRIM support and  I have not heard that the PS4 operating system will have TRIM support. Maybe it could come later via firmware update. 

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 51 (430 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
4540 posts
 

Re: I don't understand

[ Edited ]
Oct 21, 2013

Black0Panther wrote:

I have nothing against the new SSD or Hybrid Drives but I use a 320 gig 5600  Speed regular HDD for my PS3 and mine no where near stutters like that. Mine actually looks like the other 2 better drives here. So Im not sure if I 100 Believe that is all texture loading and what not. Seems the PS3 or what ever had issues playing the game itself. On a PS3 with a stock drive you will not get that bad of FPS.


Are you talking about the Skyrim one, stuttering and drops in frames (almost to 4 to 0) was a very well known issue weeks after the game came out and the reason for it is that it had a horrible save file bug once you hit 65hours called "Rimlag", the problem I assure you was 100% real (Bethesda's forums and sales reflected it). Digital foundry even has two article talking about it and to them some people's solution was a SSD or SSHD. Digital Foundry has very advanced equipment btw to do these tests and are paid to do tests and comparisons like this (aka no bias - just pure hardware numbers, graphical test results, HDD/SSHD/SSD stress loads whether a game is installed or not.)

 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-skyrim-lag-fixed

 

That's why in the beginning of the video you see an Skyrim Unpatched portion and how a SSD and SSHD benefit the user compared to stock. The Video shows in the other half that after the game was patched (2.03), Rimlag was fixed , and that the SSHD and SSD now provide better load times and texture load is slightly better than stock (instead of drastically).

 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

 

While you said you never experienced the Rimlag, you may be one of the fortunate that never got 65 hours in, the size of the save file bug, or you got the game after all patches happened or played during all the patches happening. I assure you that Rimlag was very real and during a time before the patches, a SSHD and SSD helped immensely!

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 51 (414 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/24/2008
Offline
4165 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013

An SSD has nothing to do with graphics. The only thing that would do is make the load times faster. 

Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 51 (395 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 12/29/2009
Offline
688 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013
I think if you plan on going digitally with your games then it's worth if it load times matter to you. I don't see a point to buying one if you plan on buying disc copies. You might load any mandatory install files quicker but it won't be worth it overall. You'll still be limited by the disc drive speed.
Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 51 (395 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/24/2000
Offline
3790 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013

Amnalehu wrote:

Matsudaira wrote:

I'm getting an SSD, and it has nothing to do with graphics (obviously). The benefit of an SSD is to enjoy faster load times. A game does not have to be optimized to see the benfits of using an SSD over a standard HDD. SSD is quite affordable these days.


As I was looking for some SSD's, I noticed that the OS must be TRIM compatible. You might want to hold off on buying a SSD for your PS4. It is my understanding that SSD's require TRIM support and  I have not heard that the PS4 operating system will have TRIM support. Maybe it could come later via firmware update. 


No - TRIM isn't required, but it should exist for optimal SSD performance. Even without TRIM, however, there will still be a performance increase. Most SSD's have their own 'garbage control' anyway.

Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 51 (390 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 10/08/2007
Online
4540 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

[ Edited ]
Oct 21, 2013

a24fan wrote:

An SSD has nothing to do with graphics. The only thing that would do is make the load times faster. 


While you are somewhat right, it's not entirely the case. While no hard drive can produce better graphics or anything, it can stream graphics in faster for games that heavily rely on that. Rage is a perfect example, the Video below was not photoshopped or anything, this is a HHD/SSHD/SSD stress load test. Rage heavily relies on Texture Streaming due to id tech 5's Mega Texture engine being deployed, and the video shows that due to the speed and cache provided by the drives, a SSHD and SSD is generally faster in streaming in the textures alot faster. Proof is in the pudding, you or anyone can deny it but the video proves otherwise (bump to 720p fullscreen to see the differences more closely) ...

 

 

Pricing is key though, if you can afford it and have the money, I guess an SSD is ideal. Those who want the speed of an SSD and large storage space vs price ratio that a HDD has while being still affordable - a SSHD is ideal (and highly recommended). 

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 51 (383 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 08/24/2008
Offline
4165 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013

da1writer wrote:

a24fan wrote:

An SSD has nothing to do with graphics. The only thing that would do is make the load times faster. 


While you are somewhat right, it's not entirely the case. While no hard drive can produce better graphics or anything, it can stream graphics in faster for games that heavily rely on that. Rage is a perfect example, the Video below was not photoshopped or anything, this is a HHD/SSHD/SSD stress load test. Rage heavily relies on Texture Streaming due to id tech 5's Mega Texture engine being deployed, and the video shows that due to the speed and cache provided by the drives, a SSHD and SSD is generally faster in streaming in the textures alot faster. Proof is in the pudding, you or anyone can deny it but the video proves otherwise...

 

 

Pricing is key though, if you can afford it and have the money, I guess an SSD is ideal. Those who want the speed of an SSD and large storage space vs price ratio that a HDD has while being still affordable - a SSHD is ideal (and highly recommended). 


Well you learn something new everyday. o.O

Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 51 (378 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 12/29/2009
Offline
688 posts
 

Re: i dont understand

Oct 21, 2013

da1writer wrote:

a24fan wrote:

An SSD has nothing to do with graphics. The only thing that would do is make the load times faster. 


While you are somewhat right, it's not entirely the case. While no hard drive can produce better graphics or anything, it can stream graphics in faster for games that heavily rely on that. Rage is a perfect example, the Video below was not photoshopped or anything, this is a HHD/SSHD/SSD stress load test. Rage heavily relies on Texture Streaming due to id tech 5's Mega Texture engine being deployed, and the video shows that due to the speed and cache provided by the drives, a SSHD and SSD is generally faster in streaming in the textures alot faster. Proof is in the pudding, you or anyone can deny it but the video proves otherwise (bump to 720p fullscreen to see the differences more closely) ...

 

 

Pricing is key though, if you can afford it and have the money, I guess an SSD is ideal. Those who want the speed of an SSD and large storage space vs price ratio that a HDD has while being still affordable - a SSHD is ideal (and highly recommended). 


That's pretty awesome.  Will a lot of next gen games rely heavily on texture streaming?

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 51 (370 Views)
Reply
0 Likes