Fender Bender
3790 posts

Re: i dont understand

Oct 20, 2013

jimjamss- wrote:
The 1 TB is $599. $200 more than the PS4 system. I don't see it as worth it, but too each their own.

It's an investment. I could swap out the 500GB HDD for a 500GB SSD for $340, but I figure I will just go ahead and double the size.

Message 11 of 51 (3,842 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Oct 20, 2013
Well if you are going to go for it you might as well go big. I don't care too much about load times, but don't SSD's produce less heat? So you could also look at it as protecting your system maybe?
Message 12 of 51 (3,837 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

jimjamss- wrote:
Well if you are going to go for it you might as well go big. I don't care too much about load times, but don't SSD's produce less heat? So you could also look at it as protecting your system maybe?

SSD is digital, so yeah - no heat at all, mostly. Never really thought of that perspective. Smiley Tongue

It's not just load times, it's also download/install times. I've seen videos where the average time saved is upwards to 2 minutes. I know, doesn't sound like much -- but when you have a family and work life, every minute counts.

Message 13 of 51 (3,831 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3920 posts

Oct 20, 2013

Most computer users use a SSD for the OS and a HDD for mas storage. The PS4 already uses system ram for its OS like a SSD to store game all you need is a $80 1Tb HD  not a $600 SSD If i won the lotto i wouldnt waste it on a SSD.But then again some people want the fastest HD,Ram and Graphics card no matter what the cost. It gets to the point that i think its more bragging rights then need or usefulness. Get a 4k TV for the PS4 never mind it will only do 1080p at max 

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 14 of 51 (3,822 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3790 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 20, 2013

JohnKarnes wrote:

Most computer users use a SSD for the OS and a HDD for mas storage. The PS4 already uses system ram for its OS like a SSD to store game all you need is a $80 1Tb HD  not a $600 SSD If i won the lotto i wouldnt waste it on a SSD.But then again some people want the fastest HD,Ram and Graphics card no matter what the cost. It gets to the point that i think its more bragging rights then need or usefulness. Get a 4k TV for the PS4 never mind it will only do 1080p at max 

I have the same 1TB SSD in both of my Mac computers and I use it for OS and mass storage. Things load and save instantaneously, which is something I have not seen any HDD do. 

It has nothing to do with bragging rights... but if we go that route -- I could just as easily say haters are just too poor to hang. Jelousy, in other words.

Sony has confirmed the PS4 will do 4k movies and gaming is "being considered".

http://www.stuff.tv/microsoft/sony-ps4-vs-xbox-one-4k-war-begins/feature

Message 15 of 51 (3,814 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
MVP Support
6031 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 30, 2013

I'm going to get the best of both worlds without killing money in the process, A Solid State Hybrid Drive gives you almost the speed of a SSD but the Hard Drive Space at the affordable price we all know.

I'm more likely going to just upgrade to a 1TB due to me being very interested in how the PS4 handles a Solid State Hybrid Drive -

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF...

And it's only $107, a fraction (1/6th) of what the cheapest SSD's cost in the 1TB size I'm wanting (cheapest 1TB SSD = $600, no thanks).

Here's why I'm upgrading -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

While no hard drive can produce better graphics or anything, an SSHD or SSD can stream graphics in faster for games that heavily rely on that. Rage is a perfect example, the Video in the left hand corner above was not photoshopped or anything, this is a HHD/SSHD/SSD stress load test. Rage heavily relies on Texture Streaming due to id tech 5's Mega Texture engine being deployed, and the video shows that due to the speed and cache provided by the drives, a SSHD and SSD is generally faster in streaming in the textures alot faster. Proof is in the pudding, you or anyone can deny it but the video proves otherwise (bump to 720p fullscreen to see the differences more closely by clicking on the YouTube button and then once you're on the YouTube channel click the cog near the bottom right corner of the video) ...

Spoiler

Note: If a higher amount capacity is something you're looking into, your fastest, largest , affordable drive for the PS4 to get is this HGST 1.5TB. It's not a SSHD (it's just a normal HDD) but it is the largest 2.5' Hard drive under the 12.5mm maximum size allowed in the PS4. 

http://www.amazon.com/HGST-Travelstar-2-5-Inch-Internal-0J28001/dp/B00EDIU5IW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF...

It's $124 and it's a speedy Sata III. Plus the default hard drive in the PS4 it's also made by HGST (500GB version).

Message 16 of 51 (3,809 Views)
Fender Bender
3685 posts

Oct 20, 2013

da1writer wrote:

I'm going to get the best of both worlds without killing money in the process, A Solid State Hybrid Drive gives you almost the speed of a SSD but the Hard Drive Space at the affordable price we all know.

I'm more likely going to just upgrade to a 1TB due to me being very interested in how the PS4 handles a Solid State Hybrid Drive -

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Solid-Hybrid-2-5-Inch-ST1000LM014/dp/B00B99JUBQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF...

And it's only $107, a fraction (1/6th) of what the cheapest SSD's cost in the 1TB size I'm wanting (cheapest 1TB SSD = $600, no thanks).

Here's why I'm upgrading -

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-can-ssd-upgrades-boost-ps3-performance

That Skyrim Video really showed what a difference a better drive can make in the over all performance. I amy look into getting a hybrid drive now.

Message 17 of 51 (3,782 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Oct 20, 2013

I have nothing against the new SSD or Hybrid Drives but I use a 320 gig 5600  Speed regular HDD for my PS3 and mine no where near studders like that. Mine actualy looks like the other 2 better drives here. So Im not sure if I 100 Believe that is all texture loading and what not. Seesm the PS3 or what ever had issues playing the game itself. On a PS3 with a stock drive you will not get that bad of FPS.

Message 18 of 51 (3,773 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3920 posts

Oct 20, 2013

da1writer wrote:

Nice find This drive basicly give you the speed of a 7200 rpm drive without the heat and is a very quiet 5400 rpm at just $25 more.

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 19 of 51 (3,768 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11831 posts

Oct 20, 2013
It's more for improved loading times, however the same effect could be had by installing a ssd hdd hybrid drive, which is cheaper than at full blown ssd
>

Message 20 of 51 (3,763 Views)
0 Likes