Sep 08 2011
By: okaynowwhat Hekseville Citizen 261 posts

I am such an idiot

14 replies 35 views Edited Sep 8, 2011

I'm obviously a slooooow learner ... my wife thinks I'm an idiot!!!

Chronologically:

- Sony Handicam (circa 199X) - Stopped recording after 3 years use (since discarded)

- Sony PS3 Fat (2008 purchase) stops reading discs after 13mo's. Repaired free of charge by Sony (even though warranty has expired by 1mo) ... thanks Sony.

- The same PS3 Fat YLOD's just 14mos later .... Sony wants $200++ to fix ... A new slim costs $250 ... Fatboy goes in the garbage (at least there is no disc stuck inside).

-  Dec 2009, purchase Sony VIAO Laptop computer ... March 2010, power cord receptacle piece falls out of laptop ... Sony repairman deems damage is caused by misuse (even though computer has been handled with kid gloves) and will not cover under warranty ... okaynowwhat pays the $300 to get it fixed.

- May 2010, purchase PS Slim .... Sep 2011, Slim does not load or read discs .... Sony "customer service" (hahahahaha) tells me I am on the hook for the price of the repair. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to get the extended warranty from Future Shop when I purchased the slim. Hey wait, maybe I'm not such an idiot after all .... naw, I still deal with Sony .... I must be!!!

Ahhhh ... now I feel better ... thanks for reading.

ok

0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Re: I am such an idiot

Sep 8, 2011

nothing like a good vent...

Damn seems you just have bad luck with electronics.

Message 2 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 8, 2011

okaynowwhat wrote:

I'm obviously a slooooow learner ... my wife thinks I'm an idiot!!!

Chronologically:

- Sony Handicam (circa 199X) - Stopped recording after 3 years use (since discarded)

- Sony PS3 Fat (2008 purchase) stops reading discs after 13mo's. Repaired free of charge by Sony (even though warranty has expired by 1mo) ... thanks Sony.

- The same PS3 Fat YLOD's just 14mos later .... Sony wants $200++ to fix ... A new slim costs $250 ... Fatboy goes in the garbage (at least there is no disc stuck inside).

-  Dec 2009, purchase Sony VIAO Laptop computer ... March 2010, power cord receptacle piece falls out of laptop ... Sony repairman deems damage is caused by misuse (even though computer has been handled with kid gloves) and will not cover under warranty ... okaynowwhat pays the $300 to get it fixed.

- May 2010, purchase PS Slim .... Sep 2011, Slim does not load or read discs .... Sony "customer service" (hahahahaha) tells me I am on the hook for the price of the repair. Thank goodness I had the presence of mind to get the extended warranty from Future Shop when I purchased the slim. Hey wait, maybe I'm not such an idiot after all .... naw, I still deal with Sony .... I must be!!!

Ahhhh ... now I feel better ... thanks for reading.

ok

Lol.  Here's my story:

October 2007: Get a platinum PSP slim with Daxter and Monster Hunter Freedom 2.  Played it for 2 days then got it taken away from my mother.  Let a "friend" borrow my Monster Hunter Freedom 2 since I couldn't play it anyway, and he kept it. 

November 2009: Get a brand new PS3 Slim and MW2.  Every since I had it, it's been having power problems: I would turn on the system and no video or audio would come, followed by 3 fast beeps and the power light flashing red.  I would have to turn it on again or pull the plug out after I turn it on the first time.  So, thinkng it was ventalation problems, I would bring it up to room every night before I went to sleep ( don't know why I thought that would change anything)

July 2011: Heavy rain occurs in my area, followed by a small flood in my basement.  Guess what?  It was the one day I didn't bring my PS3 system up from my basement.  Tilt the system to its' side, and it spills more water out than a standard-size water bottle can hold (I'm selling the parts now; I hollowed it out and I'm keeping the shell as my own PSN achievment, even though it'd probably be one achievement Sony wouldn't like to hear about lol).

A couple days after the flood: I get my PSP back.  Battery is completely drained, and I have no more Memory Stick.  Plug the charger in and try to play while charging, and realize that my battery isn't staying inside the PSP.  I go to the game store to ask why it's not working, and they take the battery to try to charge it.  The pull the last charger in the store off the shelf, open the box, plug it into the wall, and. . .they connect the two seperate parts and the part that connects the Power cord to the square charger breaks.  They look closer and find out that my battery had messed up and that if I hadn't shown it to them when I did, it could've exploded while I was  trying to fix it (haven't even used it and it messed up already).  Bought a new battery pack for $20.

A day or two after: I call Sony to try and fix my PS3 system.  Told them the story (flood, water damage, etc.), and they tell me my two year warranty has been voided because my system was ruined from water damage.  They also said they couldn't take it in and even try to fix it, nor could they give me a new one because they would "get nothing out of it". 

A week later: The insurance company comes to check out the flood damages, and says it won't cover the system either ( so I bought a new one, and later got an 8GB memory stick for my PSP). 

So I've had a very interesting history with my Sony electronics too.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Don't go around trying to know and do everything.
Message 3 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Sep 9, 2011

good reads- first off i love my playstation. BUT at the same time my ps3 has ended my fanyboy of all sony products. besides games and future consoles - i will never buy another sony product again. There customer service is horrendous - and this forum is where sony directs people who are having issues to come. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? When i pay top dollar for a product, i expect to get customer support from them - not a forum.

Message 4 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Sep 9, 2011

Well I still have to buy a LED tv for my room and was leaning to SONY.....

Would you recommend there T.V.'s?

Message 5 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5113 posts

Sep 9, 2011

lol i have bravias love them - so yes. im just flustered with there CS

Message 6 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Sep 9, 2011

I hear you I think there TV's are awesome I cant wait to grab one... I hardly run into ppl that say there tv is no good.

Message 7 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 10, 2011

Speedy24xmax wrote:

I hear you I think there TV's are awesome I cant wait to grab one... I hardly run into ppl that say there tv is no good.

Photobucket    Photobucket    Photobucket    

My Games: Saints Row 2 , Grand Theft Auto 4 , Modern Warfare 2 , Little Big Planet , Street Fighter 4 , Sonic's Greatest Genesis Collection , Monopoly , Metal Gear Solid 4 , Iron Man , Grand Turismo 5 Prologue , Grand Turismo 5 , Need For Speed Shift , Need For Speed Pro Street , Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe , Motor Storm Pacific Rift , Facebreaker , Far Cry 2 , Warhawk , Pure , Wipeout HD

Young Gunz VS Old Fogys

Photobucket
Tuning guide for Fogy

Well most of the TVs I have are Sony, whether Panasonic or otherwise.  They're pretty good IMO; you should consider going with Sony on the TVs.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 8 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
7424 posts

Sep 11, 2011

YemeniLuigi wrote:

My Games: Saints Row 2 , Grand Theft Auto 4 , Modern Warfare 2 , Little Big Planet , Street Fighter 4 , Sonic's Greatest Genesis Collection , Monopoly , Metal Gear Solid 4 , Iron Man , Grand Turismo 5 Prologue , Grand Turismo 5 , Need For Speed Shift , Need For Speed Pro Street , Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe , Motor Storm Pacific Rift , Facebreaker , Far Cry 2 , Warhawk , Pure , Wipeout HD

Young Gunz VS Old Fogys

Photobucket
Tuning guide for Fogy

Well most of the TVs I have are Sony, whether Panasonic or otherwise

Watashiwa Hagane no Renkinjutsushi!

Huh? Panasonic is part of Sony?

Message 9 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
414 posts

Sep 11, 2011

JERM7 wrote:

YemeniLuigi wrote:

Young Gunz VS Old Fogys

Photobucket
Tuning guide for Fogy

Well most of the TVs I have are Sony, whether Panasonic or otherwise

Watashiwa Hagane no Renkinjutsushi!

Huh? Panasonic is part of Sony?

Yeah; I'm pretty sure it's part of Sony.  And so is Samsung.

Knowledge is power,
Ignorance is bliss,
Abstenence is control.
Message 10 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes