Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 22 2012
By: df2506 Monster Hunter 36 posts

I Blame It On Final Fantasy 7 (Updated)

14 replies 226 views Edited Mar 22, 2012

When I got the Playstation 1, I was into fighting games like Tekken or action games like Resident Evil. I really liked those games, but I didn’t love them.

Then, I rented a game called Final Fantasy 7.

I had played some role playing games on other systems, but I wasn’t a huge fan of the genre; Final Fantasy 7 changed that. The first thing I noticed were the graphics! At the time, FF7 looked like no other game. The whole sequence at the beginning with the train arriving in the station wowed me. The in-game graphics were good too. It was the gameplay, though, that had me totally hooked.

I loved FF7's turn-based battle system right away. It wasn’t like an action game where everything was in constant movement, but it was still really exciting. It was cool how as you continued in the game you got Materia (magic) and could level it up to make it stronger. Also figuring out what materia you needed in battles really added an extra layer of strategy to the game.

I liked FF7’s story too and how it gave you interesting choices through out the game (Tifa or Aeris? I went with Aeris!). And that death scene! Oh man. I loved the game. I never wanted to stop playing it.

I was only renting the game though. I got toward the end of the second disc and had to quit! I was really unhappy. I told my dad right then that I wanted the game and I was able to buy it not long after that. It took me forever to beat; that last boss fight was really tough. I finally did beat FF7 & saw the ending (didn‘t care for the ending, but still love the game).

From that point on, I was addicted to role playing games. I played Legend of Dragoon, Final Fantasy 8 and 9, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy Tactics, Vandel Hearts, and many more.

I also played rpgs on the PS2; I think my favorite was Wild Arms 3. I loved the Wild West setting. It was so unique and added so much to everything, especially the battle system (the horseback battles were cool!). I liked how all the characters had special abilities that they could use in and out of battle. The dungeons were unique and fun. The story was good too. Wild Arms 3 still stands out among the many rpg favorites I have on the PS2. 

I have to mention my love for Final Fantasy 10 and Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2. With FF10, Square took the turn-based battle system to the next level and let you swap characters in and out of battle. The graphics were also the best of any FF game at that time (and are still very good today). As for Kingdom Hearts 1 & 2, Square and Disney created two really fun games with a great battle system, cool Disney worlds to explore, and nice stories too. Square, overall, made some really amazing games on the PS2. So did Level 5 in fact. Dark Cloud 1 & 2 and Rouge Galaxy were fun games! PS2 was an great system for rpgs.

Though, I do have to say I'm impressed with the PS3. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, FF13-2, White Knight Chronicles, Fallout 3, and Mass Effect 2 are all really good games. The future of rpgs on the PS3 looks bright too.

At the moment, I'm most excited about Final Fantasy Versus 13. I love that its bringing back world maps and maybe some other old school features.

Oh and another one that I'm interested in, a PSN title, is a strategy rpg called Rainbow Moon. It reminds me of FF Tactics and Vandel Hearts from the PS1 era. I think it'll be a fun game.

The PS3 has done a good job of continuing the role playing tradition and I can't wait to see what comes next!

And its all FF7’s fault!

Message 12 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
SCEA
1482 posts

Re: I Blame It On Final Fantasy 7

Playstation Staff
Mar 7, 2012

Great post on how you got into RPGS. I recommend adding just a bit more on maybe what RPGs you're looking forward to most (out of those that have been officially announced). Maybe also a bit more on your favorite RPG from the PS2 generation too?

- morgan haro, SCEA Sr. Project Manager - PlayStation.com
@morganharo

Message 1 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Glad you liked it. I updated the post with what I'm looking forward to for the PS3 and what my favorite RPG was in the PS2 generation. Thanks for the input.

Message 2 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 8, 2012

I love it too so much that I bought FF7 in the PSN store cause I lost my FF7 game. I like how you can name your characters and everything too. my favorite FF on the PS2 is FFX I'm going to get back into RPG game cause I only played 7,8,9 and 10

Message 3 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 8, 2012

I sir completely agree.  I loved final fantasy 7 and 8.  Am considering buying both on the store, but I've had a craving for 8 the past few days.  What I'm waiting for is the tony hawk games.  Where's the tony hawk?!  I want that new one to actually be difficult.  All the past one I can ran through on "sick" no problem haha.  O how I love ff7 and the temple of ancients.  I have to replay these two games on my new hdtv

Message 4 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 8, 2012

Yeah I started fresh from the beginning to when Aerius died :smileysad: it was a good experience though thru my HDTV though it just sad seeing someone die when you're all into the game

Message 5 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Mar 9, 2012

Emman1984: Still have my CDs of FF7. If I didn't, I would have bought it on PSN for sure (actually, I was tempted to buy it from PSN anyway, but decided not to).

I'm also a big fan of how you can name your own characters. I think the first few times I played FF7, I was giving characters names I came up with! Later on, I started using the orignal names.

10 is my favorite FF on the PS2 too. Really wasn't a fan of 12. Have you ever played Wild Arms 3 on the PS2 or any of the Level 5 games? Fun rpgs.

Totally agree with you about Aeries. Such a sad death. It was very shocking the first time. I was one of the players that really liked the Aeries character too, so ya, wasn't happy.

X-x-Dropshot: 8 was really good. It stepped the graphics up even more, the draw system was cool, and the story/characters were well done. 

Have you played 9? Loved that game too because of how it paid tribute to earlier FF games. So much more light-hearted than 7 and 8 too.

I have played FF7 on my HDTV. Still a fun game, though apart of me does wish for an HD remake of FF7. The characters, story, battle system, AND jaw-dropping HD visuals. That would be amazing. Then again, maybe it would just be better for Square to focus on making another cool new FF game. I'm torn. lol.

Anyway! Thanks for the comments.

Message 6 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 9, 2012

I Would be in Gamer Heaven if FF7 HD was released I got the HD Tech Demo on my PS3 now. Yes I mixed my character with cool names and Real Name of my friends.

Lightning = Cloud

Aerius = Kimberly

Barrett = Big Gun

Tifa = Jessica

Cid = Chris

Well that just a few lol I don't wanna make my post too long

Message 7 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Mar 10, 2012

That Tech Demo is very impressive. Its one of the reasons I'd be for an HD remake. Is the tech demo on the PS3 store to download?

Cool names for the characters. Don't remember all the names I had for mine. Played the game a few times with different names. Eventually I decided to just use the orignal names.

I can't remember if you could name your summons in FF7 or maybe thats one of the others I'm thinking of. I think you could in FF8.

Man, its been way too long since I've played these games. I'll have to think about playing one of them again after I finally beat FF13-2 and Mass Effect 2! Still have my discs of FF7, FF8, FF9, plus FF Anthology & Chronicles. OH & Chrono Cross.

Btw, what rpgs are all of you looking forward to on the PS3? Playing any cool Playstation rpgs I didn't list? Please share!

Message 8 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Mar 10, 2012

I'm not sure I use a program to rip YouTube videos and when you transfer it the whole video keep it HD quality but you can do a search thru the PSN store it will probably be quicker and easier then what I did.

All I remember is FF7 and FF8 cause I played them recently you can name summons and Characters on both I just didn't bother naming summons

And I'm only interested in Final Fantasy RPGs game I'm looking forward to FFXIII-2 and this new one I saw on Best Buy.com in the future release area.

Message 9 of 15 (226 Views)
0 Likes