Highlighted
Jun 03 2009
By: foxhound421 First Son 2 posts

How will we transfer old UMD games to PSP Go!?

48 replies 500 views Edited Jun 3, 2009

so i've got a stack of twenty-something UMD games. say i buy a PSP Go!, how will i play those games on it? has Sony said/confirmed anything about this yet?

my theories:

• use UPC codes from the box to download them for free from PSN

• a kiosk in major PSP game retailers that you insert the UMD and it copies the game file to your Go! via Bluetooth

Message 1 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
771 posts

Re: How will we transfer old UMD games to PSP Go!?

Jun 3, 2009
They have said that they are "exploring options", which pretty much means you will have to either repurchase them all as digital downloads via psn or just hang onto your old psp in order to play them.
Message 2 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Jun 3, 2009
its called dont buy the psp go! sony will most likley screw its customers with that..i mean didnt they screw us with the new downgraded design, what makes you think they willoffer you any kind of support for your umd's....personally im super dissapointed in this new "psp no!"
FAIL = "PSP NO!"

I ONLY USE BACKUPS FOR 24 HOURS............
Message 3 of 49 (500 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Jun 3, 2009

i think the PSP Go! looks awesome and i'm going to get one (as soon as they release it in white) IF i can still play my old UMDs on it somehow. well, not the disks themselves obviously, but the files. i'm really  that one of of he blog sites haven't got something about this up yet.

Message 4 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 3, 2009

I have more than 60 UMD games, and I have no plans to buy the Go.

But, if Sony makes it possible for me to get them onto the Go with no cost out of my pocket and no hassle, I will definitely buy one.

This is however impossible, unless they release some kinf of ripper + uploader for normal PSP and making sure that would not lead to piracy would be a big pain for Sony.

So chances of getting those umd games onto Go are nill.

Message 5 of 49 (500 Views)
Uncharted Territory
2195 posts

Jun 3, 2009

sintram wrote:

I have more than 60 UMD games, and I have no plans to buy the Go.

But, if Sony makes it possible for me to get them onto the Go with no cost out of my pocket and no hassle, I will definitely buy one.

This is however impossible, unless they release some kinf of ripper + uploader for normal PSP and making sure that would not lead to piracy would be a big pain for Sony.

So chances of getting those umd games onto Go are nill.

or sony could release all the umd games on the ps store for download so there would be no ripping of umd's needed.  you could probably mail in the original upc, then sony would either then mail or email you voucher codes to download the digital version of your umd's.  kind of like digital copy for blu-rays to an extent.

the cost out of your pocket would be the cost of postage to mail the upc(s) to sony.

Message Edited by inginear on 06-03-2009 06:37 PM
Message 6 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Aug 16, 2009

Well, this is a problem to a lot of people. Here's a suggestion to sony which can be useful. You guys (sony) should have a talk with gamestop. You and them should allow people to trade in there umds there, and let gamestop rip those games and transfer it into your 16GB psp go flash drive. This way, it will prevet as much piracy as possible.

If you do decide to use my idea, please do reward and credit me or I can sew you. lol I can actually do that, so please do give some credit to me for this idea. Maybe a free movie, i dunno . 

Message 7 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
509 posts

Aug 16, 2009

A. You're retarded.

B. It's "sue" not "sew" unless you are planning to mend their torn clothing.

C. No, you can't. Unless you've gone out and pattented the idea. Then Sony only has to change one tiny thing to get around it. And that's provided that you have purchased an air-tight patent, and left no holes in it at all, specified everything to the "T", and are prepared to do battle with Sony's army of corporate lawyers.

D. They won't do that. There's no incentive for Gamestop, it would cost them a bunch of money. Sony's not going to cover those costs.

The best solution I've been able to come up with is a UMD reader for sale by sony for say $15-20, that you can plug your psp go into and play that way, or perhaps have it networkable, so that if you are attached to your internal network you can "remote" to the UMD reader and stream the necessary data that way. A hybrid that included both options would be the best way IMO.

PS3 20gb with 120gb hd *** PS3 40gb *** PS3 80gb *** Ps Vita 3g *** 2x Ps Vita wifi *** 2x White PSP-Go
Message 8 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1112 posts

Aug 16, 2009

What wrong with keeping 2 PSP's

You'll have the PSP Go in one pocket,and your older PSP in the other pocket or back pocket.

Message 9 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1112 posts

Aug 16, 2009

Sony is paving the way for its download-only PSP Go, ushering in a new era of downloadable gaming by claiming that "just about" every UMD game for the PlayStation Portable will be available for download on the PSN by October 1.

The news comes from Sony social media manager and chocolate gorgon Jeff Rubenstein, who stated that: "It's my understanding that just about everything hitting after October 1 will be available for download." He did add, however, that the availability of third party games were would depend upon the publisher.

It's going to be really interesting to see what impact the PSP Go has, if any. Its lack of a UMD drive could screw it over, with consumers unwilling to part with their original PSPs and UMDs, but unable to justify owning two versions of one system. That's certainly the position I find myself in right now. I would very much like to pick up a PSP Go, but I don't want to just throw my UMDs away or own two PSPs. 

Sony, why must you continue to confuse and test the patience your customers?

"Your quoting of me (and reference as a chocolate gorgon) are dead on, but I think the wording in the 1st paragraph is confusing some of your readers (who were immediately contacting me for clarification). We were talking about new releases post-release of PSPgo. For the back catalog, expect the majority of exisiting UMD titles to be available for download via PSN around the launch of PSPgo as well."
Ta da! 
Message 10 of 49 (500 Views)
0 Likes