First Son
2 posts

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Mar 13, 2011

I have a dilemma. I was able to format my external hard drive to fat32 format and share files after I unplug my external hard drive from my computer and plug it into my PS3. I want to cut out one step... walking from my computer to my PS3 to share the files. I have a WNR3500L (Netgear N300 Wireless Router) with a ReadyShare USB port, this lets any device connected to my wireless network read or write to my external hard drive. This works for any computer connected to my network but I have not been able to access the hard drive on my PS3. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Message 61 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 13, 2011

cripUNIT wrote:

I have a dilemma. I was able to format my external hard drive to fat32 format and share files after I unplug my external hard drive from my computer and plug it into my PS3. I want to cut out one step... walking from my computer to my PS3 to share the files. I have a WNR3500L (Netgear N300 Wireless Router) with a ReadyShare USB port, this lets any device connected to my wireless network read or write to my external hard drive. This works for any computer connected to my network but I have not been able to access the hard drive on my PS3. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The PS3 won't see any network drives/shares.  It will however see Media Servers.  So, if the router has a media server built in, you can enable it.

Or, you can set up on the router, and use your PC's Media Server and add the external drive to it's library. Then the PS3 would be able to see the media.  But it would only be good for viewing/streaming and copying media to the PS3.

You wouldn't be able to use thte PS3 to save anything to it, or copy any gamesaves/backups to it.

Message 62 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Mar 14, 2011

Your external HDD isn't getting enough "juice" from the PS3. Buy a USB hub that is externally powered. You know the rest. It happened to me with a WD My Passport Essential.

Message 63 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Mar 14, 2011

Yea Media Server all the way. The latest Windows Media Player has it, you only have to enable it.

Message 64 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3035 posts

Apr 21, 2011

myGUNisLOADED wrote:

Your external HDD isn't getting enough "juice" from the PS3. Buy a USB hub that is externally powered. You know the rest. It happened to me with a WD My Passport Essential.

same thing is happening to me I bought a wd my passport essential and it wont read it even if its in fat32 i think it isnt getting enough juice, where did you get usb hub with its own external power?

Message 65 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

May 16, 2011

The Swiss Knife app only gives me a FAT16 option when choosing a new file system. Will that work?

Message 66 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

May 16, 2011

bclem2 wrote:

The Swiss Knife app only gives me a FAT16 option when choosing a new file system. Will that work?

I think there's a limit to FAT16.  If your drive is larger than 2GB then it's not going to be very useful, as FAT16 does partitions up to 2GB only.

Message 67 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

May 20, 2011

My friend and I were thinking of buying a external drive and backing up both our ps3 slim's onto it , will that be possible?

Message 68 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

May 21, 2011

Yes this is possiable but you'll need to make sure you remember which backup is your and which is his.

To myGUNisLOADED Im confused as to how using a powered hub would make any difference. If the usb device isn't 2.0 nothing will speed it up, if it is 2.0 then the PS3 will provide the power needed to the device. A powered usb hub (2.0 high speed)  only provides more ports, expanding the use of the existing ports. Some usb devices don't require highspeed hubs (ie; fans, lights, calculators etc), if you HAVE to use a hub then yes it should be a highspeed hub. Otherwise a powered hub only becomes a longer path data has to travel.

I hope that was clear, as I had to think it as I typed it.

Great work PD so far, keep the DLC coming!

Get your Portable ID!
Message 69 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 17, 2011

Hey everybody, just got a couple questions........

My 80 GB PS3 is basically out of HD space. I discovered this after trying to download the two free games that Sony is offering. I was able to download LittleBIGPlanet, but when I tried to download Infamous I got the error that there was not enough space on my PS3 for it.

If I get a new 1TB HD and format it to FAT or FAT32, will my PS3 recognize the new external HD and the empty space it provides?

Will I be able to install future games to the new external HD or would the intstallation files have to be saved on the PS3 HD (which is out of space)? I plan on the external HD being used solely for the PS3 alone once its properly formatted, if I can use it this way, if I cant I dont see any use in buying one.

Also, my com is Windows 7 Home Premium, are there any suggestions on the best program to use to format the new external HD?

I currently have no files in music, photos or videos. And I really dont want to have to format my PS3.

Thanks a million for any help you can give me!

Message 70 of 218 (3,140 Views)
0 Likes