Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Feb 22, 2011

aaaaiiieeee wrote:

i have all 4 folders, got video, photo and music working. for some reason it wont read that i have a GAME folder. Wont give me an option to save games to the external HDD. any tips?

You can't save games to an external. Games and game data must be on the internal drive.

Solar_Difusion wrote:

Andino-T wrote:

also make sure the format of the drive is FAT format not FAT32.

The PS3 recognizes both FAT and FAT32.

Correct, and since FAT is limited to 2GB anyone formatting a hard drive will have to use FAT32. If you are formatting a small USB flash drive or memory card (<2GB), then you can use either. The main issue is that the PS3 cannot read NTFS, exFAT, HFS, ext/2/3/4, Reiser, etc. Just FAT & FAT32 for hard drisks and flash media (it can read some other file systems used on optical media).

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 51 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
202 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Hello guys I need some help...

I just bought a external hardrive, and I was going to use it to transfer all of my movies from my laptop to the external, so that I can watch the movies on my PS3. Ive come to realize that the PS3 doesnt recognize it. (I figured it would be similar to a flashdrive). Anyway... Im not a comp wiz so Im not sure what to do. If someone could dumb it down for me thatd be great All I want is so that I can put movies onto the external, and plug the external into the PS3 so that I can watch them. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

HeaT_

Message 52 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Feb 25, 2011

HeaT_ wrote:

Hello guys I need some help...

I just bought a external hardrive, and I was going to use it to transfer all of my movies from my laptop to the external, so that I can watch the movies on my PS3. Ive come to realize that the PS3 doesnt recognize it. (I figured it would be similar to a flashdrive). Anyway... Im not a comp wiz so Im not sure what to do. If someone could dumb it down for me thatd be great All I want is so that I can put movies onto the external, and plug the external into the PS3 so that I can watch them. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

HeaT_

External hdd format should be in fat32. Your movies should also be in the mp4 format.

Message 53 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Feb 27, 2011

The name of my external is Startech.com

It has two slots and I have the hard drive from my old laptop. I use it now as an external.

I've formatted the hard drive as a FAT32.

I've put the folders in the order that you guys said. and I still cannot get the ps3 to read the hard drive.

Any other recommendations? I'd really like to get this to work, but it's just beginning to seem impossible...

Message 54 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Feb 27, 2011

HDD is either not getting enough power, or the enclosure is just not compatible.

I'm not sure what else it would be, if the drive is formatted to FAT32 and is not showing up under the media sections on the XMB.

Message 55 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Mar 5, 2011

How did you format the drive to FAT32?

What is the model # of the enclosure, and what did you mean by "It has two slots" ??

And when you connect the drive to the PS3's USB port you see nothing? No USB device under any of the Media sections? Or are you seeing the USB device, but not any files on it?

Message 56 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 7, 2011

ok so basically it is useless to buy a external hard drive to save games. How can i create more space to save more games i got the ps3 when it first came out and i bought the 20gb so it goes throu memory pretty quick. How can i fix this? or am i basically screwed!

Message 57 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Mar 7, 2011

stallion444 wrote:

ok so basically it is useless to buy a external hard drive to save games. How can i create more space to save more games i got the ps3 when it first came out and i bought the 20gb so it goes throu memory pretty quick. How can i fix this? or am i basically screwed!

You can buy a larger drive to install inside the PS3.

It takes a standard 2.5" SATA notebook drive.  As long as the drive height is not more than 9.5mm it'll fit just fine, and they now make up to 750GB drives that fit and work inside the PS3.

You could use an external drive to backup the PS3, then upgrade the HDD, then use the backup utility again to restore the backup from the external drive to the PS3.

Message 58 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Mar 11, 2011

can you go into more detail about what your talking about i just bought a seagate GoFlex 500G and it isnt responding with my ps3 iam guessing i have to change somehting about it before it will register with my ps3. i use a macbook pro btw so plz give me step by step instructions for that plz

Message 59 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Mar 13, 2011

Zeon90 wrote:

...i use a macbook pro btw so plz give me step by step instructions for that plz

Ah, a Mac!

I have heard of issues with the FAT32 file system created by the Mac disk manager. If you use the Erase function to reformat a drive it does not create a new master boot record, and that can lead to compatibility problems with the PS3. To properly format a drive to the FAT32 file system on a Mac you must use the Partition function. and make sure the Master Boot Record (MBR) option is selected.

Message 60 of 218 (1,984 Views)
0 Likes