Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 1, 2011

I did a search and it seems other people have had trouble with WD 3TB drives on the PS3. Did you try dividing the drive into two smaller partitions: 1TB FAT32 for PS3 use and 2TB NTFS for all other use?

Make sure you aren't leaving the drive on carpet or anywhere with poor ventilation. The really big hard drives can get toasty.

Message 91 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Sep 2, 2011

It is definitely getting plenty of ventilation. The drive is only being used for ps3 stuff (music vids ect). But I could try dividing it into two fat 32 if you think that might help. I’ll let you know by tomorrow.

UPDATE:

I did not need to partition the drive.  I just had to format in "fat32format" instead of fat32  don't ask me why there was a difference, but there was. i did it with gui format that i just dropped into my c drive foler and ran as a admin. found out about this from another post by SillyBillyBarbie on this forum. Different thread. http://community.us.playstation.com/thread/3404901?start=15&tstart=0  if you care to check it out.

Works great for my 3tb drive for now. just thought you should know

clip for that post:

Message 92 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Sep 3, 2011

Hello, very new to the community so please tell me if I am writing this in the wrong space.

So I have read just about every forum on how to use ones external hard drive on a ps3 and I am still having problems with it.

I've been trying to use my WD 500Gb, newly purchased external hard drive so that I can store music, movies, and photos on it so that I may access and use them via the ps3.

I have followed every instruction and my hard drive is now in the FAT32 format and I have used the correct file structure ("MUSIC", "PHOTO", "VIDEO" , etc), however my ps3 will not read the hard drive at all (nothing remotely close to my hard drive shows up on the xmb). Upon plugging my hard drive into the ps3 I can hear the hard drive working however the light indicator on the hard drive does not light up, the light indicator does light up whilst plugged into my pc though.

Would absolutely love to know if there is something I'm doing wrong or if my hard drive is one of the very few that will not corporate with a ps3. Please help!! It's driving me absolutely mad.

Message 93 of 218 (862 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5406 posts

Sep 3, 2011

hanzilla_02 wrote:

Hello, very new to the community so please tell me if I am writing this in the wrong space.

So I have read just about every forum on how to use ones external hard drive on a ps3 and I am still having problems with it.

I've been trying to use my WD 500Gb, newly purchased external hard drive so that I can store music, movies, and photos on it so that I may access and use them via the ps3.

I have followed every instruction and my hard drive is now in the FAT32 format and I have used the correct file structure ("MUSIC", "PHOTO", "VIDEO" , etc), however my ps3 will not read the hard drive at all (nothing remotely close to my hard drive shows up on the xmb). Upon plugging my hard drive into the ps3 I can hear the hard drive working however the light indicator on the hard drive does not light up, the light indicator does light up whilst plugged into my pc though.

Would absolutely love to know if there is something I'm doing wrong or if my hard drive is one of the very few that will not corporate with a ps3. Please help!! It's driving me absolutely mad.

One possibility is that the external HDD isn't getting enough power from the PS3's USB ports alone. Did it come with an A/C adapter or a USB cable that plugs into two ports at once?

Message 94 of 218 (862 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Sep 3, 2011

The hard drive only connects to the ps3 using a usb cable. One end (connected to the hard drive) is a usb 3, I don't know if that should effect it at all though.

this is actually the specific one that I purchased through Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Passport+Essential+500GB+External+USB+3.0/2.0+Porta...

Message 95 of 218 (862 Views)
Splicer
70 posts

Sep 5, 2011

Great information everyone...thanks!

Gamer Advisory Panel Member
STARHAWK BETA
Message 96 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
404 posts

Sep 5, 2011

thanks monkay I was wondering how to do this!

Photobucket

PS3 owner since March 07.
Sony Dash owner since June 10.
Message 97 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 6, 2011

i have a 2TB seagate USB 3.0. will this work?

Message 98 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Sep 6, 2011

ORYP626 wrote:

i have a 2TB seagate USB 3.0. will this work?

It SHOULD work.

Make sure it is formatted to FAT32, and make sure it has enough power.  If it has its own power adapter, no problem; if it has USB power, then try using a self powered USB Hub.

Message 99 of 218 (862 Views)
Fender Bender
3035 posts

Sep 14, 2011

hanzilla_02 wrote:

The hard drive only connects to the ps3 using a usb cable. One end (connected to the hard drive) is a usb 3, I don't know if that should effect it at all though.

this is actually the specific one that I purchased through Best Buy

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Passport+Essential+500GB+External+USB+3.0/2.0+Porta...

I have the exact one but it doesnt work, Im guessing portable drives of ths size dont get enough juice for some reason, I can get 8gb flash drives to work, I suggest you get this one insted http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western+Digital+-+My+Book+Essential+2TB+External+USB+3.0/2.0+Hard+Drive+...

desktop hardrives work better since they have an ac adpator to give them more juice, I use a similar one on my ps3 no problem.

Message 100 of 218 (862 Views)
0 Likes