Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
First Son
Registered: 08/19/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Aug 19, 2013

Hi, i did everything and everything went just fine.......... but after i pluged in the external HD in my ps3 tells me that i only have 429G , total. 

and its an 1,000G  what went wrong?? or is how it suposse to be? please help me !! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
:smileyfrustrated:

 

Please use plain text.
Message 181 of 218 (1,259 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2010
Online
17195 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Aug 19, 2013

reykong1 wrote:

Hi, i did everything and everything went just fine.......... but after i pluged in the external HD in my ps3 tells me that i only have 429G , total. 

and its an 1,000G  what went wrong?? or is how it suposse to be? please help me !! 

Spoiler
Spoiler
:smileyfrustrated:

 


Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
what's with the spoiler tags?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
:smileymad:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
maybe you partitioned it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Please use plain text.
Message 182 of 218 (1,235 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/25/2010
Offline
2926 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 1, 2013
This info is all useless if all you want it for is more room for game data.
_________________________
The gods overestimate themselves.

Hades vs Kratos on Make A Gif
make animated gifs like this at MakeAGif
Please use plain text.
Message 183 of 218 (1,062 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/05/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 5, 2013

ehm.. am sure this is really helpfull but i think i deleted wrong. cause it disapered from my screen. i cant autorun and i cand find my hard drive. so i dont know what to do? any help here? :smileytongue: When it dissapered i was suppose to delete the NTFS and then i disapeared.. :smileysad: pls help me out! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Message 184 of 218 (999 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/06/2013
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 6, 2013

Ok, first off let me apologize for being tech retarded when it comes to this. My question is about the external hard drive we gave my son (who is autistic). We bought him a brand new PS3 Super Slim 12G we gave him a WD Passport 320G External Hard Drive. I followed the directions and formatted it into a FAT32 and made the PHOTO, MUSIC, GAME and VIDEO folders..... and everything is all well and good, except he apparently doesn't have any space for his Gran Turismo 5 that he downloaded and GTA3 from the PS Store and his GTA4 game (I'm going by what he's told me). Can someone PLEASE help me before I lose the rest of the sanity I have.

Please use plain text.
Message 185 of 218 (983 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/04/2009
Online
4535 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 6, 2013

CosPlayGrl wrote:

Ok, first off let me apologize for being tech retarded when it comes to this. My question is about the external hard drive we gave my son (who is autistic). We bought him a brand new PS3 Super Slim 12G we gave him a WD Passport 320G External Hard Drive. I followed the directions and formatted it into a FAT32 and made the PHOTO, MUSIC, GAME and VIDEO folders..... and everything is all well and good, except he apparently doesn't have any space for his Gran Turismo 5 that he downloaded and GTA3 from the PS Store and his GTA4 game (I'm going by what he's told me). Can someone PLEASE help me before I lose the rest of the sanity I have.


You can't install games to an external HDD.  You will need a larger internal HDD.  Also, when a game downloads, it requires twice the stated space - for the download and then to install it.  Once installed, it will use the advertised space.

Please use plain text.
Message 186 of 218 (979 Views)
First Son
Registered: 09/06/2013
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

[ Edited ]
Sep 6, 2013

Ok. Well terrific. I was hoping to avoid that. :smileysad: grrrr Do I really wanna know how much those cost and what I specifically need? I have also been informed that he can't back up any games to the External because the 3G isn't enough space. Do I have to make more FAT32 spots (is that the proper phrasing?) on it or what?

Please use plain text.
Message 187 of 218 (974 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 08/04/2009
Online
4535 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 6, 2013

You might want to search/browse the forums for internal HDD recommendations, as this topic comes up frequently.  They are relatively inexpensive - you can get 500 GB for about $50, which is what I have (specifically: http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Scorpio-Drive-WD5000BEVT/dp/B001JSSDGU).  I've had mine for a few years, so you can probably find something newer/cheaper that may be better.  Most laptop (2.5 inch) HDDs will work with the PS3; the most important thing is to make sure it actually will fit - some of the higher capacity drives are thicker than 9.5mm and won't physically fit.

 

Please use plain text.
Message 188 of 218 (964 Views)
First Son
Registered: 09/06/2013
Offline
3 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 6, 2013
Awesome! If I bought a HDD would the people at some place like GameStop be able to put it in? I know there are directions somewhere on here on how to install a HDD but I really don't want to chance messing up and him being out a PS3. I have a feeling that I'm going to be making and selling a lot of costumes to pay for this stuff. LOL Thanks for your advice. There were a lot of posts to go through and some were contradicting other posts so I just asked my own question.
Please use plain text.
Message 189 of 218 (958 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 09/20/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Sep 20, 2013

CosPlayGrl wrote:
Awesome! If I bought a HDD would the people at some place like GameStop be able to put it in? I know there are directions somewhere on here on how to install a HDD but I really don't want to chance messing up and him being out a PS3. I have a feeling that I'm going to be making and selling a lot of costumes to pay for this stuff. LOL Thanks for your advice. There were a lot of posts to go through and some were contradicting other posts so I just asked my own question.

They probably would know how to do it, but most likely they wont do it. Opening the PS3 you need to break the warrenty seal. Then the same thing you said You dont want to be out a PS3 if you broke it. They dont want to buy you a PS3 is they mess up. I would look for someone who messes around with computers. Installing a new hard drive is fairly easy.

Please use plain text.
Message 190 of 218 (834 Views)
0 Likes