First Son
1 posts

Re: How to use a USB external Hard Drive on your PS3

Aug 19, 2011

I had figured at first that adding an external harddrive would help increase the maximum space for my PS3, as if to have the two work in tandem like in RAID, but it looks like it just allows for external folders for more music and videos, which I have no real need for, and the total of my save files isn't even that overwhelming. What really is bogging down my system is all the game data utilities, and when I can only download and use one demo at a time before having to delete it for another. Is there any way to set up the external so that it does work with the internal hard drive as if they were one? Other than that, it looks like I need to just pick up a new internal. Sixty gigs is mincemeal and the backwards compatibility loss on the newer models doesn't make a system upgrade worthwhile.

Please use plain text.
Message 81 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Aug 19, 2011

SerBiggs wrote:

I had figured at first that adding an external harddrive would help increase the maximum space for my PS3, as if to have the two work in tandem like in RAID, but it looks like it just allows for external folders for more music and videos, which I have no real need for, and the total of my save files isn't even that overwhelming. What really is bogging down my system is all the game data utilities, and when I can only download and use one demo at a time before having to delete it for another. Is there any way to set up the external so that it does work with the internal hard drive as if they were one? Other than that, it looks like I need to just pick up a new internal. Sixty gigs is mincemeal and the backwards compatibility loss on the newer models doesn't make a system upgrade worthwhile.

No, there's no way to get an external work to expand your internal drive.  You need a larger internal drive.

Please use plain text.
Message 82 of 218 (727 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4504 posts

Aug 19, 2011

You can use an external drive to backup/move unprotected games and saves, but the PS3 won't load games from it (you would have to move them back to the internal drive to play it).  I highly recommend getting a new internal HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 83 of 218 (727 Views)
Lombax Warrior
106 posts

Aug 28, 2011

Sorry not that tech informed. But how do you disconnect the external usb hardrive from PS3, when finished watching videos or something, without corrupting files in hardrive? Turn off the PS3??

Locked and Loaded
Please use plain text.
Message 84 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Aug 29, 2011

You make sure the activity light on the hard drive isn't blinking rapidly, and unplug it.

Please use plain text.
Message 85 of 218 (727 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Question. I have done all of this but I'm still having issues with the PS3 loading my files. I can access my external through by PS3 and see the subfolders I placed on the drive. But its not the loading the actual files or it taking a half an hour for the files to appear but won't play. (the file are 550mb to 750mb). If I stick the same files on a small fash drive (2gb) then they load quickly and play just fine off the ps3. I'm not sure why the PS3 is taking so long to load the files. the external is pretty big >2tb but if there was no upper limit that i was aware of. Any idea what's going on?

Please use plain text.
Message 86 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Aug 29, 2011

Have you tried running a disk check on that drive to make sure there aren't any errors on it?

Please use plain text.
Message 87 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Sep 1, 2011

Yes, just ran one, no errors. The drive works fine when plugged into my computer but for some reason the ps3 doesn't like to load it quickly/propperly. Any other suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Message 88 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Sep 1, 2011
Please use plain text.
Message 89 of 218 (727 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts