Jan 16 2014
By: dulun18 Limit Breaker 22906 posts

How to tell factory sealed new games from resealed used games?

[ Edited ]
26 replies 4725 views Edited Jan 23, 2014

i looked into this after another gamer posted about wanting to rewrap their USED games and return to store for a full refund...

i search around and come across these..

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18s6f8/best_buy_knows_how_to_sell_used_games/

or

http://zoklet.net/bbs/archive/index.php/t-175619.html

is what this user said correct :??

Untitled.png

since i have some games that might meet the criteria.. i bought them (ALL NEW)  this black friday.. from amazon..

the stack on the left there..

DSCF1290.JPG

here the close up picture..  this wrapping style is like what the user above stated.. looks like heat dry with a dryer or something..

so does it mean that Amazon is selling me USED games at the NEW games price???

DSCF1291.JPG

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 27 (4,725 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Re: HOW can you tell if FACTORY SEALED NEW or just RESEALED USED games??

Jan 16, 2014

Resealed used games. All of those games are from Different Devs. you would never see them together. Also they each be  packaged and wrapped individualy not a bunch all together as they are.

Message 2 of 27 (4,723 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014
They aren't wrapped together though, and dulun18 didn't say he bought them all as a single package deal. The top three games definitely look re-sealed though. I can tell because I work at a store that has a shrink wrap machine. I'm quite terrible at using it, but the signs are there. The boxed games look re-sealed too, but they appear to be in really good shape for used boxed games. Boxes tend to show signs of wear if they're used, but I can only see a little bit of them, and it's possible they were previously owned, and well taken care of. Whoever re-sealed the MGS box did it a little tight, but that's the only sign of wear that stands out to me.
Message 3 of 27 (4,708 Views)
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Jan 16, 2014

They were either

A) Used / returns that were resealed

or

B) the original packaging was torn in their warehouse, so they reseal it.

I have bought "New" games from GameStop like this before. After inspecting the packaging when I got to my car I immediately returned them. I can usually tell between factory and store sealed. The look and feel of the wrapping are completely different.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 4 of 27 (4,686 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
22906 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014

tross88 wrote:
They aren't wrapped together though, and dulun18 didn't say he bought them all as a single package deal. The top three games definitely look re-sealed though. I can tell because I work at a store that has a shrink wrap machine. I'm quite terrible at using it, but the signs are there. The boxed games look re-sealed too, but they appear to be in really good shape for used boxed games. Boxes tend to show signs of wear if they're used, but I can only see a little bit of them, and it's possible they were previously owned, and well taken care of. Whoever re-sealed the MGS box did it a little tight, but that's the only sign of wear that stands out to me.

@tross88 

I took your word for it tross   Smiley Happy

I filed a complaint with BBB about this..

let see what's the response from Amazon will be..

I'll keep you guys updated on this.

*true.. i can't tell about the Uncharted bundle and Metal Gear solid legacy collection..

i'm not sure. but the uncharted bundle just has the plastic wrap around the box. but not each individual game.. i'm not sure if that's how they are wrapped at the factory..

DSCF1295.JPG

as for Metal gear.. the game inside is factory sealed.. i can see the folded wrapper inside..

DSCF1293.JPG

What Are Internet TROLLS ?
To QUOTE- TOP RIGHT of the reply box - To MULTI-QUOTE
PSP and PS3 owner..YES...i still play the LAST GEN systems
****still waiting for The LAST GUARDIAN****
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 27 (4,684 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jan 16, 2014
It should be sticker-sealed (top and/or bottom part of case) on top of the shrink wrap. Unless the factories get rid of those stickers.
Message 6 of 27 (4,682 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
62 posts

Jan 16, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

tross88 wrote:

@tross88 

I took your word for it tross   Smiley Happy

I filed a complaint with BBB about this..

let see what's the response from Amazon will be..

I'll keep you guys updated on this.

*true.. i can't tell about the Uncharted bundle and Metal Gear solid legacy collection..

i'm not sure. but the uncharted bundle just has the plastic wrap around the box. but not each individual game.. i'm not sure if that's how they are wrapped at the factory..

as for Metal gear.. the game inside is factory sealed.. i can see the folded wrapper inside..

DSCF1293.JPG

Woahh, that kind of does looks a bit suspicious.

Message 7 of 27 (4,672 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3121 posts

Re: HOW can you tell if it is FACTORY SEALED NEW or just RESEALED USED games??

Jan 16, 2014

dulun18 wrote:

i looked into this after another gamer posted about wanting to rewrap their USED games and return to store for a full refund...

i search around and come across these..

http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/18s6f8/best_buy_knows_how_to_sell_used_games/

or

http://zoklet.net/bbs/archive/index.php/t-175619.html

is what this user said correct :??

Untitled.png

since i have some games that might meet the criteria.. i bought them (ALL NEW)  this black friday.. from amazon..

the stack on the left there..

DSCF1290.JPG

here the close up picture..  this wrapping style is like what the user above stated.. looks like heat dry with a dryer or something..

so does it mean that Amazon is selling me USED games at the NEW games price???

DSCF1291.JPG

All those greatest hits are definitely resealed and not factory sealed.  I ONLY ever buy BRAND NEW game that are FACTORY \

SEALED and have not seen any wrapped like that - those are definitely opened before. 

Message 8 of 27 (4,597 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3979 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2014
@dulun18: It's possible the MGS Legacy Collection is factory sealed, since the game inside looks that way. I'm more iffy about the outer wrap, but I think I recall my copy being like that when I got it. The game and the art book look new, so you may have a factory sealed copy of that. The Uncharted box has definitely been re-sealed. With a new copy, both of the games inside should also be sealed.
Message 9 of 27 (4,559 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
489 posts

Jan 16, 2014

I love how ppl use kitchen shrink wrap machine to wrap their USED games and return them for full refund and the next buyer gets their USED crap at full price. lol

Message 10 of 27 (4,531 Views)
0 Likes