Jul 25 2010
By: VarHyid Sackboy 556 posts

How to reboot a PS3 (slim) when it freezes?

10 replies 23638 views Edited Jul 25, 2010

I've played Uncharted and my brand new PS3 Slim just froze at some point. Just like that.

What I did is hold down the power button which made the green light blink, then released it, it made 3 short beeps and powered down.

As far as I can tell nothing's damaged, but... HOW DO YOU PROPERLY REBOOT A FROZEN PS3 (slim)?

I'm asking because I've Googled out tons of different aswers, including:

- hold down power button until it beeps 3 times, then release it

- hold down power button until it beeps 1 time after that release it and it'll beep 2 times

- just press the power button

- hold down power button for 5 seconds

- hold down power button for 10 seconds

- hold down power button for 10-20 seconds

and so on... As I've said, I've been holding down the power button for about 10 seconds and the beeps and shut-down came once I've released it, not while holding it. Did I do it right? Was I supposed to wait longer?

NOTE! I'm NOT talking about reseting it's settings or something, just a regular reboot just like I did with the proper "reset" button on the OS1 and PS2.

=================EDIT=================

Since I've found enought different "answers", I'll list all suggestions posted so far:

1. (1 vote) Press eject and wait ~10s for it to restart

Uncharted 3 Co-op Certification Center: Uncharted.VarHyid.com
Message 2 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Re: How to reboot a PS3 (slim) when it freezes?

Jul 25, 2010

push the eject button.

The game will come out and then your system wll restart.

but BE PATIENT.....it takes like 10 seconds or so until the system restarts after you eject the disc....

No having to turn the power off.. At least im assuming that will work. It works on all the other fats

Message 1 of 11 (23,638 Views)
Sackboy
556 posts

Jul 25, 2010

Eject? Nice, I haven't heard that one before, thanks

I'll post a summary of all suggestions in the first post.

Message 3 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Jul 25, 2010

i'll vote for my answer again haha.

I know its right :/

Message 4 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Jul 25, 2010

A game i have, SOCOM Confrontation, used to freeze ALOT for ALOT of people. Until they finally fixed the majority of freezing with their final patch.

So i did alot of research on how to get rid of the freezing. In trying to figure out ways to aleviate the problem i managed to find out how to stop that games freezing as well as come up with ways to make the freezing not as harsh on your system. The eject is the major way i found out on how to get out of a freeze without having to power down your system (Your power supply and motherboard like this)

http://forums.socom.com/t5/SOCOM-U-S-Navy-SEALs/Tip-for-after-your-PS3-Freezes/m-p/304833

Here is that thread i put on the SOCOM forums. As you will notice it got alot of positive feedback since it works. Now some people had the PSN version of that game and it would freeze, which meant they had no disc to eject. And i believe i addressed that as well in that post.

Message 5 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Jul 25, 2010

unplug it

==============================================================
PS2 slim
PS3 slim 120gb/500gb
PS3 60gb
Message 6 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28974 posts

Jul 25, 2010

This is directly from the online manual found right here on Playstation.com;

The Screen Is Frozen

-Restart the System. Touching the power button on the system front for ten seconds or longer will force the system to shut down. After shut down, turn on the system again.

Playstation Knowlege Center: Saftey And Support Manual. Page 13.

It's also in the manual they GIVE YOU when you buy the system.

Now I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what is it? Why is there such an aversion to opening up the manual and reading it? Is it that you don't trust anything in a book? You're so used to looking up information online? Seriously, there's been five or six answers here and ALL of them are, in no uncertain terms, wrong. They GIVE YOU the right information from the start, you just have to make the effort to use it. The engineers who designed the thing wrote the manual, and they did so to help you use the system properly.

I'm begining to see why so many people have problems.

Message 7 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Jul 25, 2010

RROD_360 wrote:

unplug it

Of course. It's funny until you tell it to someone "electronically retarded" who'd actually try that

CaptainAlbator wrote:

This is directly from the online manual found right here on Playstation.com;

The Screen Is Frozen

-Restart the System. Touching the power button on the system front for ten seconds or longer will force the system to shut down. After shut down, turn on the system again.

Playstation Knowlege Center: Saftey And Support Manual. Page 13.

It's also in the manual they GIVE YOU when you buy the system.

Now I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but what is it? Why is there such an aversion to opening up the manual and reading it? Is it that you don't trust anything in a book? You're so used to looking up information online?

The answer is as easy as embarrasing - I've overlooked it so step 2 = going online. But thanks for the info
Still, the info in the manual leaves me assuming whether they meant "touching the power button (...) until it restarts itself" or "touching the power button (...) and releasing it after at least 10 seconds or longer which will force the system to shut down" Next time I'll wait a minute.
Case closed.

Message 8 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 8, 2012

Well some of us HAVE read the manual AND have tried the solution it gives.  Several times.  And it STILL is frozen.

Message 9 of 11 (23,638 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 23, 2015

Thank you so much I tried to play minecraft but my ps3 froze on a blackSmiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 11 (3,284 Views)
0 Likes