Thanks People.
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
109 posts

Re: How to keep the PS3 Slim Cool

Sep 19, 2009

I notice when I stand mine vertically, it seems to run abit cooler. When horizontal, it heats up pretty fast and I can even hear the "popping" sound of the plastic expanding and contracting after about an hour or so.

Question for those who may know, when the plastic starts making the popping noise when it expands and contracts, does that mean the PS3 is getting too hot or is it still safe to play it? It only does that on mine when it's set horizontally.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
314 posts

Sep 19, 2009
Easy fix. Do not turn it on, ever! The PS3 will stay nice and cool and will last a lifetime.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Sep 19, 2009

good post.

the guide says leave horizontal.  day one since i've have my slim its been vertical.

rule #1   keep an external fan on it when its running  (since i started this i've had no major overheating)

rule #2   make your own dust cover.   a clear plastic bag works fine.   just make sure it totally covers you system

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 19, 2009

i have the original 80 gb 4 usb motorstorm bundle i have never completely shut off power to it i.e flipping the switch in the back and mine is going strong it gets hot but it can handle it so i mean i dont think you have any worries

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
36 posts

Sep 19, 2009

ok yes an outside small fan in front does help alot im doin the same with a 500 gb hdd

and putting plastic does nuthing to keep the dust from getting inside of your ps3 maybe on the outside but not on the inside and if you can put the playstation at the lowest part of the entertainment center not on the floor or rug reason why is heat rises and cold are drops

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 17 (429 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Hi, I have had the same problem a long time ago with my PS3 Slim over-heating. So what I did was to go to Walmart and a had bought be a 10" steel fan to put back behind my PS3. I have my PS3 raised about 7 inches above ground on a metal gaming station, so I can put my system on it along with all my games. I promise you that it works perfectly. The longest I have played on my system was 3 days. It still got a little warm, but nowhere near as warm as before I have gotten the fan. I put the fan behind my system and it works perfectly! I hope this helps you out and solves your issue with your over-heating.

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 17 (334 Views)
0 Likes