Highlighted
Sep 19 2013
By: Mercenary09 Treasure Hunter 4463 posts

How to Upgrade Select PS3 Games to Their PS4 Versions

32 replies 1132 views Edited Sep 19, 2013

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/19/how-to-upgrade-select-ps3-games-to-their-ps4-versions/

+ Posted by Sid Shuman // Social Media Manager

As announced during PlayStation’s Gamescom press conference, there will be a simple way to upgrade to the PS4 digital version of four select games, for a low discounted price, when you buy the PS3 version of those games. Here are the full specifics so you’re set for November 15th — click here for full step-by-step instructions.

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the same game from PlayStation Store when it becomes available, at the discounted price of $9.99.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS3Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS3Watch_Dogs on PS3Battlefield 4 on PS3

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS4Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS4Watch_Dogs on PS4Battlefield 4 on PS4

Gamers who purchase a PS3 Blu-ray Disc of these four games will find a code packed into the PS3 version that they can redeem on PlayStation Store. To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 for the discounted price of $9.99. Just purchase it and start playing!

For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy — you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 arrives.

But don’t wait: This program lasts for a limited time. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before January 31st, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), March 28th (for Battlefield 4), or March 31st (for Call of Duty: Ghosts) in order to participate.

Get the full step-by-step instructions here.

Message 1 of 33 (1,132 Views)
MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: How to Upgrade Select PS3 Games to Their PS4 Versions

Sep 19, 2013

Mercenary09 wrote:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/19/how-to-upgrade-select-ps3-games-to-their-ps4-versions/

+ Posted by Sid Shuman // Social Media Manager

As announced during PlayStation’s Gamescom press conference, there will be a simple way to upgrade to the PS4 digital version of four select games, for a low discounted price, when you buy the PS3 version of those games. Here are the full specifics so you’re set for November 15th — click here for full step-by-step instructions.

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the same game from PlayStation Store when it becomes available, at the discounted price of $9.99.

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS3Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS3Watch_Dogs on PS3Battlefield 4 on PS3

Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on PS4Call of Duty: Ghosts on PS4Watch_Dogs on PS4Battlefield 4 on PS4

Gamers who purchase a PS3 Blu-ray Disc of these four games will find a code packed into the PS3 version that they can redeem on PlayStation Store. To play the PS4 version of the game when it becomes available, you’ll need to insert the original PS3 disc in your PS4 to activate and play the PS4 version, so hang onto that PS3 disc!

Gamers who purchase the digital version of any of these four games will not need to redeem a code to receive their PS4 versions. When your PS4 arrives, just look for the PS4 version of the game on PlayStation Store – it will appear on PlayStation Store on your PS4 for the discounted price of $9.99. Just purchase it and start playing!

For those of you who purchase the PS3 disc version of the games, you do not need a PS4 system to redeem your code, so feel free to redeem it as soon as you pick up your PS3 copy — you can download your digital copy later when your PS4 arrives.

But don’t wait: This program lasts for a limited time. You’ll need to redeem your code and make the purchase before January 31st, 2014 (for Assassin’s Creed IV and Watch_Dogs), March 28th (for Battlefield 4), or March 31st (for Call of Duty: Ghosts) in order to participate.

Get the full step-by-step instructions here.

Now, I have a question:

Will we ALWAYS need the disc? Or is it only for that initial activation? It's not really clear.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 2 of 33 (1,124 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4463 posts

Sep 19, 2013

It sounds to me that you will need the PS3 disk to always play the digital PS4 copy.

Message 3 of 33 (1,120 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8202 posts

Sep 19, 2013
Oh that's just great, I need the physical PS3 copy in my PS4 to play the digital PS4 version....

So to play Battlefield this way is going to cost me 70$ and I still have to use my physical copy, wich means I get NONE of the pros that digital is ALLEGEDLY supposed to come with...

SERIOUSLY???
Hey That Chris signature
Message 4 of 33 (1,099 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
569 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2013

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
Oh that's just great, I need the physical PS3 copy in my PS4 to play the digital PS4 version....

So to play Battlefield this way is going to cost me 70$ and I still have to use my physical copy, wich means I get NONE of the pros that digital is ALLEGEDLY supposed to come with...

SERIOUSLY???

So just buy the digital PS4 copy for $60, or buy both digital for $70. This is obviously to prevent shenanigans with 2 people splitting up the games.

The fact that they have the PS4 recognizing PS3 discs is huge. It means that potentially your ps3 library can be read & then streamed on your PS4.

sig by Grindhead_Jim
Message 5 of 33 (1,092 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5704 posts

Playstation and Playstation 4 Plus upgrades revealed

Sep 19, 2013
Message 6 of 33 (1,094 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5704 posts

Sep 19, 2013
Message 7 of 33 (1,085 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4463 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 19, 2013

ChangeDaBullets wrote:

Thread is already made http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Playstation-and-Playstation-4-Plus-upgrad...

Uhh this topic was made before you made one. Plus this one gives people information on it and not just a link.

Message 8 of 33 (1,075 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8202 posts

Sep 19, 2013
If I still need the disc to play then what was the point in upgrading to PS4 digital?

The code in the box is the security measure

If Im still popping in my physical PS3 copy to play then the whole 10$ to upgrade is BS, complete BS
Hey That Chris signature
Message 9 of 33 (1,065 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4463 posts

Sep 19, 2013

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
If I still need the disc to play then what was the point in upgrading to PS4 digital?

The code in the box is the security measure

If Im still popping in my physical PS3 copy to play then the whole 10$ to upgrade is BS, complete BS

Yea i'm rather unhappy with how this works too. I don't see why they can't do a retail deal like Microsoft has with gamestop.

Message 10 of 33 (1,062 Views)
0 Likes