Apr 10 2011
By: TwilightJay First Son 15 posts

How to Transfer Saves to another PS3?

28 replies 166083 views Edited Apr 10, 2011

Ok, so I am finally ready to havemy PS3 fixed (yold after aprox 10 minutes) and was looking to copy my save files to the ps3 of a friend till mine is fixed. Question is, how do I do this? I mean, I know HOW to copy my save files, but what do I use to connect the systems? I was thinking an ethernet cord, but maybe a usb cord? Problem is that I don't think I have a usb cord that is big on both ends...the ones we get for our trollers are a big and small. So yeah, what do I need?

On a side note, how do I unlock a thumb drive for use as a data backup for my system?

All answers are greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: How to Transfer Saves to another PS3?

Apr 10, 2011

You just need a USB thumb drive formatted as FAT to use for backups. Use Saved Data Utility to make individual backups of save games.

The only way to move copy-protected save games is through the PlayStation Plus Online Storage or Data Transfer Utility. Doing the latter with your friend's PS3 will leave your PS3 empty and your friend's PS3 with all of your data. He won't be happy since all of his data will be gone.

Stick to the USB thumb drive or Online Storage. If you have a large external hard drive, then you can try Backup Utility. Copy-protected saves will only restore to the same console, so if you get a different console it won't restore fully. All of your regular save files will restore fine. Make the USB thumb drive backup first, since that is the fastest. If your PS3 YLODs rapidly later, then you may lose the opportunity for the USB thumb drive backup.

If you're getting your PS3 fixed, then make sure you're getting a reball. A reflow will be a temporary fix.

Message 2 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

I know for a fact that you can do only a save file copy to another Sony Product as I was able to (fail) do so with my PSP...copy protects won't transfer to a PSP, but I have the feeling they will to another PS3. I just need to know how to connect the two PS3 so I can copy my saves to his console.

As for my thumb drive, my PS3 says it is locked when I try to do a Data Backup on it. How do I unlock it?

Message 3 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 10, 2011

What kind of data backup are you trying to do? What steps are you taking?

You connect two PS3s together with the ethernet cable, but you're going to pave over the contents of your friend's PS3 with your own save data with Data Transfer Utility. He won't have any of his saved data left on his PS3. The worst case scenario is if your PS3 fails for good during mid transfer, leaving you with no usable data and your friend with no usable data. Your friend should make backups too.

Message 4 of 29 (166,083 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

I may be failing to understand here...but is it not possible to have multiple saves from the same game on the same PS3? In fact, I know it is...I had like 4 Dragon Age saves at one point on my ps3. Why would me transfering just my save files to his system over write his save files? If I can figure out how to unlock my thumb drive, I will backup all my system and game data onto it.

I just want my Save Files (you know, the thing you load to continue your version of the game?) copied onto his system so I don't lose them when I blank my drive (as per sony instructions) prior to sending it into them. If this is not possible( I don't see why not), is there ANY way to copy my CR protected save files?

Message 5 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3035 posts

Apr 10, 2011

does anyone know what program I can use to format a drive to fat32?

Message 6 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 10, 2011

TwilightJay wrote:

I may be failing to understand here...but is it not possible to have multiple saves from the same game on the same PS3? In fact, I know it is...I had like 4 Dragon Age saves at one point on my ps3. Why would me transfering just my save files to his system over write his save files? If I can figure out how to unlock my thumb drive, I will backup all my system and game data onto it.

I just want my Save Files (you know, the thing you load to continue your version of the game?) copied onto his system so I don't lose them when I blank my drive (as per sony instructions) prior to sending it into them. If this is not possible( I don't see why not), is there ANY way to copy my CR protected save files?

There are different methods to move game saves over. I think you're confusing them.

Data Transfer Utility uses an ethernet cable between the two PS3s to move everything from one PS3 to the other. This will pave over one PS3 with the data from another PS3. There is no merging of data.

Saved Data Utility lets you use a USB thumb drive to manually copy game saves to a USB drive and to other PS3s. The only drawback is that you can't copy game saves that are copy-protected. Not all game saves are copy-protected.

Saved Data Utility also lets you use the PlayStation Network Online Storage that does let you copy copy-protected data. That requires a paid PlayStation Plus subscription.

Backup Utility will make a full system backup onto an external USB hard drive, but it will only restore copy-protected data onto the same console. If you restore onto a different console, everything but the copy-protected data will copy over.

I hope that makes sense.

mlbpowerpro, use something like HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool or SwissKnife for drives larger than 32 GB. For drives smaller, use Windows.

Message 7 of 29 (166,083 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

I see what you are getting at with the overwrite issue, but I think you are forgetting a transfer method. When I linked my ps3 to my psp, I was given the option to go to each save file and select copy to my psp, but I got the CR protected message. I was wondering if this particular method is possible with two PS3. If not, I will have to backup on a thumb drive...but I still run into the issue that has not been answered. When I attempt to use my thumb drive with my ps3, I get a message that it is locked and cannot work with my ps3. How do I go about unlocking it for use with my ps3?

The main reason I want to copy just my save files is that there is a chance that they may send me a new rig and I would lose my CR protected save files (which is all of them). Here's to hoping that I can use the above method to transfer just my save files to my friend's ps3...you know, like how you use to be able to do with ps2 memory cards.

Message 8 of 29 (166,083 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Apr 10, 2011

No, that's not a working method. When you connect the PSP to the PS3, the PSP functions as a USB drive, and I have covered that above. There's no ability to do this with two PS3s apart from Online Storage or Data Transfer Utility.

What thumb drive do you have? Does it have security software on it?

Message 9 of 29 (166,083 Views)
First Son
15 posts

Apr 10, 2011

I have a 16 gig Centon Datastick Pro and I have not a clue.

Message 10 of 29 (166,083 Views)