Oct 04 2009
By: SPOPS Fender Bender 4488 posts

How to Deactivate PS3's that I do not own anymore???

14 replies 1694 views Edited Oct 4, 2009

Ok, so I currently have 2 60gb PS3's and 1 new slim PS3.  I tried to download my PSN games onto the new slim PS3 and it tells me that I have already activated 5 PS3's.  I have had 2 PS3's that Sony sent me as a replacement and both were defective and had to be switched out.  As of right now my info should only be activated on my 60gb PS3 and my brother's 60gb PS3.  So that is 2 systems and now I want to add the third which is the slim PS3 (Mother purchased it as a blu ray player but I would like to play it when I come over to visit). 

So my question is how do I deactivate any other systems besides the ones I have in my possession???

Message 1 of 15 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Re: How to Deactivate PS3's that I do not own anymore???

Oct 4, 2009

SPOPS wrote:

Ok, so I currently have 2 60gb PS3's and 1 new slim PS3.  I tried to download my PSN games onto the new slim PS3 and it tells me that I have already activated 5 PS3's.  I have had 2 PS3's that Sony sent me as a replacement and both were defective and had to be switched out.  As of right now my info should only be activated on my 60gb PS3 and my brother's 60gb PS3.  So that is 2 systems and now I want to add the third which is the slim PS3 (Mother purchased it as a blu ray player but I would like to play it when I come over to visit). 

So my question is how do I deactivate any other systems besides the ones I have in my possession???

You cannot deactivate a system that is not in your possession or that does not work.  You have to call Sony and ask them to do it for you.

Message 2 of 15 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 4, 2009
The only possible way to do it is by calling Sony and have them deactivate the systems. I have tried this before with no luck, one rep told me to just re-buy everything. This is the reason I no longer buy anything on the PSN for my PS3. I wish they would adopt the way 360 handles downloads, as long as you are online you always have access to your content, regardless of what system you are using.
Message 3 of 15 (1,694 Views)
Fender Bender
4488 posts

Oct 4, 2009

Macuser wrote:
The only possible way to do it is by calling Sony and have them deactivate the systems. I have tried this before with no luck, one rep told me to just re-buy everything. This is the reason I no longer buy anything on the PSN for my PS3. I wish they would adopt the way 360 handles downloads, as long as you are online you always have access to your content, regardless of what system you are using.

Well there is no way in hell I am going to re-buy everything.  There must be $200 worth of content.

Message 4 of 15 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1516 posts

Oct 4, 2009
You don't have to re-buy anything. First of all, you can download what you already bought as many times as you like, on any PS3 your account is on, as long as you haven't activated more than 5 different consoles. As far as Sony deactivating it for you, just make sure you are speaking with the technical assitance wing. It's a different number than the regular customer service. Whoever told the guy above that they couldn't do it was obviously too lazy to redirect him, or doesn't know where he is working.
Message 5 of 15 (1,694 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Oct 4, 2009
I sold my old ps3 on ebay over a year ago and just lately went to try and download a video. It told me I couldn't till I deactivated my other ps3. I simply called Sony and explained my problem and the service rep transferred me to technical support. They deactivated my username from the other ps3 and that was it. Really easy.
Message Edited by danwin on 10-03-2009 10:17 PM
Message 6 of 15 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4488 posts

Oct 4, 2009
guess i will try and give tech support a call tomorrow...

Message 7 of 15 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Oct 4, 2009

SPOPS wrote:
guess i will try and give tech support a call tomorrow...

The team that handles deactivations is only open monday through friday.

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 8 of 15 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4488 posts

Oct 4, 2009
I called them up today about it for the hell of it.  The first guy was an idiot and was not helpful.  But I called back a few hours later and the guy was very helpful.  He found the 3 service request numbers for my returned PS3's.  He said he would forward the info onto the tech dept. and they will look at it.  He said they should deactivate all of my PS3's.  Than all I will have to do is manually activate them on each individual system that I currently have in my possession.  Says it should take 3 days max.  Guess I will find out on Wednesday if it worked or not.

Message 9 of 15 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3555 posts

Oct 4, 2009

SPOPS wrote:
I called them up today about it for the hell of it.  The first guy was an idiot and was not helpful.  But I called back a few hours later and the guy was very helpful.  He found the 3 service request numbers for my returned PS3's.  He said he would forward the info onto the tech dept. and they will look at it.  He said they should deactivate all of my PS3's.  Than all I will have to do is manually activate them on each individual system that I currently have in my possession.  Says it should take 3 days max.  Guess I will find out on Wednesday if it worked or not.

Interesting.  They started that process a couple weeks ago and stopped using it a few days ago because they got flooded with requests for deactivations.  Looks like that rep's inability to follow directions is going to work in your favor!  If you're not reactivated within 5 days call and raise a stink.  Once they tell you they can do something, they HAVE to follow through.

Message Edited by Smpage on 10-04-2009 04:27 PM

Sony Computer Entertainment America
M-SAT 6:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. PST
Sunday 7:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m
800-345-7669 (800-345-SONY)
How to access Safe Mode on ps3
Message 10 of 15 (1,695 Views)
0 Likes