MVP Support
13655 posts

Re: How much will PS4 games themselves cost?

Apr 29, 2013

The only old school game that I remember that cost a lot of money at the time was like, Action 52. Wasn't that like $250 or something?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 31 of 52 (200 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 29, 2013

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

safety_your_dead wrote:

There's two more on Amazon listed at $99.99 now as well for pre-order. If they really do cost that much I'm not getting one sadly to say.

Those are placeholder prices.

Amazon and others like it have always done this.

If you guys think $70 is expensive... you weren't alive in the 80's where it was common place to pay nearly $100 for a game. I do recall paying $120 for a small number of them too... and they're not as amazing as what we got now.....

You young kids just don't understand how good you have it.

Lay  off the drugs man.. i have been playing since atari, games have never cost that much.. the console were close but not the games..

No drugs here..... you obviously weren't around for the "Crash of the Golden Age of Video Games".... retail prices of games becamse outrageous, and they weren't good at all.... you can easily beat them in a 3-4 hour sitting.... you can attribute that mostly, to Atari at the time for controlling the majority of the market. 
It wasn't until Nintendo stepped in with the NES that paved the way for some of the greatest games and consoles. 

Playing since Atari? Doubtful. Otherwise you would have known about "The Crash" 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 32 of 52 (196 Views)
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Apr 29, 2013

glaciusx25 wrote:

Well if Jack Tretton didn't lie, they'll be no more than $60

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/22/4017168/ps4-games-priced-between-0-99-and-60

Otherwise who knows.

Well that same article also says:

The PlayStation 4, which according to Tretton was five years in the making, will also justify the $60 price point of games through "hours and hours of gameplay on a daily basis for months and years," he said.

That has me worried. Its fine if theres actual well developed gameplay there, but adding hours just to meet a certain "hours quota" doesn't make me excited. Keeping it at 60 is completely fine with me, as long as every single game doesn't assume that it is a $60 game.

Message 33 of 52 (185 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 29, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

safety_your_dead wrote:

There's two more on Amazon listed at $99.99 now as well for pre-order. If they really do cost that much I'm not getting one sadly to say.

If you guys think $70 is expensive... you weren't alive in the 80's where it was common place to pay nearly $100 for a game. I do recall paying $120 for a small number of them too... and they're not as amazing as what we got now.....

Lay  off the drugs man.. i have been playing since atari, games have never cost that much.. the console were close but not the games..

No drugs here..... you obviously weren't around for the "Crash of the Golden Age of Video Games".... retail prices of games becamse outrageous, and they weren't good at all.... you can easily beat them in a 3-4 hour sitting.... you can attribute that mostly, to Atari at the time for controlling the majority of the market. 
It wasn't until Nintendo stepped in with the NES that paved the way for some of the greatest games and consoles. 

I grew up just after the Atari era, as the first "console" I ever had as a very young kid was a Colecovision.  I remember games for that system costing close to $100 at the time.  Even with the NES, games were NOT cheap.  They were around $70 to $80, and in the mid-to-late 1980's, $70-$80 was a LOT more than $70-$80 is now.  Videogames have gotten a LOT cheaper over the years when you properly account for inflation and what the inherent value of a $ is now compared to 25-30 years ago. 

Including sales tax, it is amazing to me seeing brand new games selling for about $65 in today's money.  Makes me envious of the young kids who only know of videogames by whatever has come out in the past two generations of consoles.

Message 34 of 52 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
125 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

I grew up just after the Atari era, as the first "console" I ever had as a very young kid was a Colecovision.  I remember games for that system costing close to $100 at the time.  Even with the NES, games were NOT cheap.  They were around $70 to $80, and in the mid-to-late 1980's, $70-$80 was a LOT more than $70-$80 is now.  Videogames have gotten a LOT cheaper over the years when you properly account for inflation and what the inherent value of a $ is now compared to 25-30 years ago. 

Including sales tax, it is amazing to me seeing brand new games selling for about $65 in today's money.  Makes me envious of the young kids who only know of videogames by whatever has come out in the past two generations of consoles.

See, I keep seeing this point brought up whenever the price of games is talked about and personally I don't see why people bought consoles back then unless they were just swimming in cash. If games today took up as much of my paycheck as you guys keep referring to, I'd completely drop them and find another less expensive form of entertainment. Well, I guess the early adopter premium will always be the early adopter premium.

Message 35 of 52 (179 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
926 posts

Apr 29, 2013

dewadonuts wrote:

Jdurg wrote:

See, I keep seeing this point brought up whenever the price of games is talked about and personally I don't see why people bought consoles back then unless they were just swimming in cash. If games today took up as much of my paycheck as you guys keep referring to, I'd completely drop them and find another less expensive form of entertainment. Well, I guess the early adopter premium will always be the early adopter premium.

Well back then, videogames were something new and unique.  There was no internet to browse, and every other activity out there required you to have a friend closeby whom you could play with.  Back then, consoles themselves only cost about $199 which, even you throw in the cost of inflation, is likely to be less than today's consoles cost. 

I think the major difference back then is that you didn't need to go and get every single game out there.  While the games themselves may not have nearly the length of play that today's games are designed to have, the end-result of those games is that they DID last longer.  You didn't have the internet to go and look up how to beat a level, or beat a boss.  You were forced to use trial and error in order to figure it out.  Games were, likely due to limitations of the hardware, more difficult.  As a result of that, you got more accomplishment out of beating a game because it took more of your own skills and talents than it did the ability to use google.

One also has to remember that there wasn't nearly the marketing for games back then.  You only found out about new games when the new monthly issue of Nintendo Power came out, or one of your friends saw a game in a store and told you about it.  So the studios didn't feel a need to pump out games left and right because of the gaming crowd having already dissected each and every last line of code and beating the game in one or two days, as opposed to multiple months.

Overall, the amount of money, with inflation adjusted for, spent by gamers back then is about the same, if not less than what most gamers spend today.

Back then, unless you were flooded with cash, you'd spend $200 on a console that would last you 7-8 years, and spend about $70 on one or two games each year during that timeframe.  So if you had a Nintendo in 1986 and kept it until 1992, and bought maybe 3 games a year on it, your total expenditure would be ~$1670.  These days, a gamer buying a console at launch will spend maybe $400 on the console and accessories, then buy maybe 5 or 6 games a year for the same 6 year period.  That's a total expenditure of ~$2920 for the console.  This doesn't include DLC and online services, etc.

TL;DR - While games were more expensive, with inflation factored in, back then, gamers didn't buy anwhere close to the amount of games they do today and as a result, the financial cost to them wasn't as great as it seems to be these days.

Message 36 of 52 (176 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Apr 29, 2013
I remember when my parents bought a NES. Super Mario 2 at release was $70 as was Super Mario 3, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Dr. Mario, and a bunch of others. With the SNES, prices dropped to about $50, where they stayed until the Xbox 360 and PS3 when they went up to $60. There are some SNES, Sega Genesis games that were higher, but most were around $50. The Sega Saturn, Sega CD and Sega 32x games were higher, but they used newer technology and were harder to make.
My PSN
Message 37 of 52 (172 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Jdurg wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

safety_your_dead wrote:

Games were never cheap..... I was fortunate to live in an area where games were just 50-60 brand new once the NES hit shelves, and where sales tax was low. Before "the crash" I lived in New York where sales tax and just about everything is marked up so my parents paid nearly $100 for each game every time.... that is until we discovered USED games.

SOME GAMES retailed for well over $100 like I stated earlier. I couldn't remember the titles even if I tried. But they obviously weren't good enough to bother remembering.

yes, game prices have come down A LOT and people who aren't old enough to know/remember are very priviledged to have the games we currently have, at the prices we STILL have.

Adjusting for inflation a game costing $70 in the mid 80's would be nearly $200.... thats of course if our economy was anywhere like Australia's.... cause they're paying $100AUD which is practically 1:1 for the USD 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 38 of 52 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21896 posts

Apr 29, 2013

ericisag12345 wrote:
In amazon the game watchdogs is being sold for $99.99. So that might be the price

That was just a place holder because the Release Date had not been confirmed.

Message 39 of 52 (167 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

May 6, 2013

I also have been playing since Atari 2600 & I think he was reffering under NORMAL circumstances. Not during the crash. So under NORMAL circumstances there was ONLY ONE game console system that the games were 80 to 120 bucks and that system was the NEO GEO

Message 40 of 52 (146 Views)
0 Likes