Sep 27 2012
By: sailorspencer First Son 1 posts

How much does an original 60gb PS3 go for?

12 replies 24913 views Edited Sep 27, 2012

The guy at Gamestop just informed me that my perfectly fine, 60gb, 4 usb, backwards compatible, is worth like $700. Is he blowing smoke or could I be sitting on the last of the originals? 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (24,913 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

Re: How much does an original 60gb PS3 go for?

Sep 27, 2012

he's blowing smoke...... 

I've never seen an old 60Gb sell for that much.....

an old PS3 is worth LESS than a new PS3.... no matter if it has B/C and memory card readers..... old fat PS3's are prone to YLOD and dead BD-ROM drives eventually. 

if you tried to sell it for that much, you'll never sell it.

The most you can sell it for is about $200 AT THE MOST, and even then people arent wiling to spend that much on an old PS3 when they can buy a brand new one for just a little bit more and with better reliability.

I've even seen people try to sell a "Still Sealed Never Been Opened Brand New In Box" 20/60/80gb PS3's for well over $1,000..... 

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (24,907 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Sep 27, 2012
It would only be worth that much, if the PS3 was still in a sealed box. Otherwise there is no way of telling the true condition of the PS3...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (24,904 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
92 posts

Sep 27, 2012
That's probably a bit high, but they can go for a lot on eBay. Even YLOD'd (or otherwise broken) backwards compatible systems go for a couple hundred bucks.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (24,897 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Sep 27, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

an old PS3 is worth LESS than a new PS3.... no matter if it has B/C and memory card readers..... old fat PS3's are prone to YLOD and dead BD-ROM drives eventually. 

I've even seen people try to sell a "Still Sealed Never Been Opened Brand New In Box" 20/60/80gb PS3's for well over $1,000..... 

People who want to spend up to a 1000 bucks or more for a console new unused still in it's box(whatever generation it's from, same can be said for records, toys and so on) they are buying it as a collectors item, they are not buying it to open and play it. At least you can hope that they are not. 

A old PS3 worth less than a  slim model? You're kidding yourself. Sure the open and played older PS3 model might be in the same price or similar range as the new slim models, but a unopened one is worth more.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (24,896 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

Sep 27, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

People who want to spend up to a 1000 bucks or more for a console new unused still in it's box(whatever generation it's from, same can be said for records, toys and so on) they are buying it as a collectors item, they are not buying it to open and play it. At least you can hope that they are not. 

A old PS3 worth less than a  slim model? You're kidding yourself. Sure the open and played older PS3 model might be in the same price or similar range as the new slim models, but a unopened one is worth more.

Like the same people who were willing to spend $5000 for a launch day 60Gb on ebay only to get their overpriced console experience YLOD and disc read errors as the same people who paid the MSRP of $599?

Completely ridiculous..... People thought the SCPH-1001 PS1 was worth the same as a $6,000 stereo system and then you saw $6k PS1's on ebay...... turns out it was a complete fabrication.

the value of something is based on what that market can bear..... in these tough times (STILL), the current market can't bear it. 
I've been trying to sell one of my cars for the last 5 months at "Fair Market Value" of $16k....... No one is biting.

If you notice..... people tend to do anything to "get rich quick" ever since 2002.

For a Collector, I can understand..... but also consider that most "collectors" tend to sell their items and expect that they will at least get exactly what they paid for them. Thats hardly the case with a PS3. 
When you actually consider how something is valuated, you'll soon find out that almost every "collectible" is never worth its weight in silver or gold. Just because you see someone trying to sell the same thing for 10x the normal price is for something doesn't mean he's actually going to get asking price.

It might be worth something after a few generations, but surely not something in its current generation, regardless if the old model is in brand new condition.

I'd even bet that "collectibles" tend to LOSE value, before they ever appreciate in value.... much the same is with sports cars, it'll be 20+years before a sports car even regains its MSRP, and most of them tend to just increase in price due to inflation.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (24,891 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Sep 27, 2012

gR3yGh051 wrote:

Like the same people who were willing to spend $5000 for a launch day 60Gb on ebay only to get their overpriced console experience YLOD and disc read errors as the same people who paid the MSRP of $599?

Completely ridiculous..... People thought the SCPH-1001 PS1 was worth the same as a $6,000 stereo system and then you saw $6k PS1's on ebay...... turns out it was a complete fabrication.

the value of something is based on what that market can bear..... in these tough times (STILL), the current market can't bear it. 
I've been trying to sell one of my cars for the last 5 months at "Fair Market Value" of $16k....... No one is biting.

If you notice..... people tend to do anything to "get rich quick" ever since 2002.

For a Collector, I can understand..... but also consider that most "collectors" tend to sell their items and expect that they will at least get exactly what they paid for them. Thats hardly the case with a PS3. 
When you actually consider how something is valuated, you'll soon find out that almost every "collectible" is never worth its weight in silver or gold. Just because you see someone trying to sell the same thing for 10x the normal price is for something doesn't mean he's actually going to get asking price.

It might be worth something after a few generations, but surely not something in its current generation, regardless if the old model is in brand new condition.

I'd even bet that "collectibles" tend to LOSE value, before they ever appreciate in value.... much the same is with sports cars, it'll be 20+years before a sports car even regains its MSRP, and most of them tend to just increase in price due to inflation.

For everything being sold, there is someone who will buy it.  The dumber the buyer is the better off you'll be.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (24,884 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
572 posts

Sep 27, 2012

i paid $220 for a used one off the ebay about 6 months ago if that helps.

ive upgraded the HD to a 500gb ($65) and sent it to a firm to have a bunch of overheating protection done to it for $100 more

it plays all my PS1,2&3 games flawlessly so far and i have my fingers crossed about the BR drive, so id say one( 60gb PS3) is prolly only worth half of what you were quoted or whatever.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (24,880 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Sep 27, 2012

Yep, sounds like something a Gamestop employee would say. I have deep appreciation for the current Gamefly ad campaign.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (24,877 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14962 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 27, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

For everything being sold, there is someone who will buy it.  The dumber the buyer is the better off you'll be.

While that is typically true....... in this sort of unreliable economic situation, people cant afford to be that stupid any more. If I was selling my car a few years ago, I could've sold it for well over $20k and no one would bat an eye.

But then again, I might be giving society too much credit

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (24,854 Views)
0 Likes