Splicer
50 posts

Re: How much do trophies really mean to you?

Apr 25, 2012

Alot to me just because I am very competitive.

Message 31 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4993 posts

Apr 25, 2012

Trophies? What trophies? I just play my games, & have fun.

Message 32 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

Apr 26, 2012

kythunder wrote:

yeah trophies probably mean alot to you teenagers for bragging or whatever it may be but once your older they dont mean jack..lol

Wade McGilberry was the first to unlock the Pitch a Perfect Game trophy in MLB 2K10 and won $1,000,000.  He was 23 at the time, not a teenager.  Try telling him his trophy doesn't matter.

Brian Kingrey unlocked the Pitch a Perfect Game trophy in MLB 2K11 and won $1,000,000.  He was 25 then.  Try telling him his trophy doesn't matter.

Gears of War 3 had an achievement challenge last year where gamers could win $10,000.  As you know achievements are the same as trophies.  I don't know who won, but I'm sure they appreciate trophies. 

These are just a few examples of trophies generating into real cash. If that doesn't mean something then nothing does.  Over the years I remember other contests and tournaments that involve trophies or achievements where gamers could win cash, trips around the world, etc.

I'm in my late 30's.  I care about trophies too and I'm not a teenager either.  As long as people are rude and criticize something I happen to enjoy, I'm gonna defend it 'till the end of time.

I think it's very strange how many people go out of their way just to show up here and tell the world that they don't care about something.  That's not normal behavior.  If I'm gonna go out of my way, it's gonna be for something I do care about.  I typically leave the things I don't care about alone.  

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 33 of 43 (36 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 26, 2012

if i was going for big money im sure anyone would try for that trophy..lol...your logic makes no sense at all considering most people will never see real money from a trophy..you better stop with the long posts because you have trophies to earn..LMAO

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 34 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Apr 26, 2012

Obviously the money was for being first, not for the little trophy popping up. These contests have existed with and without trophies. They've had tournaments for games like COD that had cash prizes and there was no "trophy" directly tied to it. So stop trying to make it like the trophy itself has cash value.

Or put it another way since you are trying to justify the money earning potential of trophies. Say you have a son. Maybe you do, maybe you don't. Are you going to encourage him to practice his video game pitching every day so he might someday be that one in a million first to pitch a perfect game in the next version of a MLB game? Or are you going to tell him to do his math homework? I have a feeling you'd have him focusing on basic education like most parents.

Take any of those people who won those prizes. Say you are their parents. Are you "proud" they won a video game cash prize when their day job probably pays $30k and they will blow through the $600k on cars and other "stuff" within a couple years and be back to working that $30k job within 5 years? Perhaps they will use the money to start their own business, but odds are they do what most people do that suddenly come into a lot of money...they will blow it and life will go back to what it was before they made anything. A million doesn't go really far when you have family and responsibilities. I should know. I've made more than that in my professional life over the years....where did it all go??? lol.

Point of this all is, you can say it has value to you all you want, and no one will disagree that it's important to you and to some others as a matter of personal opinion. But the monetary value argument is nothing but a canard. I sure hope my kids don't decide to embark on a career as a professional gamer, hoping to win cash prizes, just like I hope they don't decide to embark on a career as a professional gambler. There are so many other fruitful careers that pay well and also benefit society...

Message 35 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Apr 26, 2012

i remember back in the day when pitfall came out for the atari 2600 and they had a 50.00 cash prize for the first so many people that could finish the game in the 20 minute window and you had to take a polaroid of your screen as proof...lol..maybe thats where it all started..lmao

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 36 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2240 posts

Apr 26, 2012

Not much, they used to matter to me about completing but since alot of games such as fallout-2 dont play well on ps3.  I gave them up.  Also on alot of older online games you cant even find anyone playing them anymore, so theres no point.  I said in the past no trophys should be online but it dont matter.  You wont be able to get them all on some games just cause noone plays it unless you buy 8 copies and mail them to 8 friends and stuff.

Its whatever God says it is, try not to let Satan trick you or lie to you. A lie can be twisted so much but its still a lie, same with tricks. Also know noone is perfect except Jesus, we all will mess up from time to time. So try not to be, to hard on yourself or others.
Message 37 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
20 posts

Apr 30, 2012

I used to care much more about Trophies than I do now; when I first got a PS3 I really liked the trophy system over the achievement system for X360 because it seemed like it meant more for some reason, rather than some goofy numbers that nobody bothers to compare or care about anyway (at least none of my friends or people I've played with!). You could argue the same for Trophies technically, but the fact that Platinum trophies actually increase your PSN level a lot and they're cool to show off just made me feel more accomplished when I finished a game than if I just got 1000 gs that adds to my...already large amount of gamerscore. Woopee!

Anyways, nowadays I just play games for fun; if there's a game I really care about with trophies that aren't head-splitting to get, then I'm down. Otherwise, the titles I actually want to play always take precedence no matter what, trohpies be darned.

Message 38 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Apr 30, 2012

i love trophies. but beating a game more than once to get a trophy gets annoying, i have almost 1000 trophies but not a single platnium

Message 39 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Apr 30, 2012

I first play the game for the sake of the game/story,only after that i try to grab the rest of the trophys.

not to the point on where im staying up until the cows come home....but if its a game i def dig,then yeah i would plat/100%

the hell out of it.

Message 40 of 43 (36 Views)
0 Likes