Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Re: How much do trophies really mean to you?

Apr 24, 2012

kythunder wrote:

thats hilarious,the gaming industry can careless about your trophies if you was looking to get work with them...i about busted a gut on that one..

Go ahead and bust a gut then.  It's true what I said.  Two guys apply for a job as a video game tester.  One guy has 100 platinum trophies and the other guy can't prove he ever played a video game in his life.  Which one is gonna get that job?

EDIT: BTW, the job thing was only an example, not to be construed as the whole message.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 21 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 24, 2012

what your saying is absolutely false...you obviously know nothing how the industry works...trophies dont mean jack...

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 22 of 43 (17 Views)
Sackboy
498 posts

Apr 24, 2012

You've been watching too much TV. It's not the guy who can't peel himself off the couch that gets the job. They don't show up at your front door asking how many trophies you have while you brush the chip crumbs out of your 3 day stubble and try to look official while telling them you have 100 platinums. Loving to play games in no way makes you qualified to be a game tester. There's almost no correlation at all. A game company is looking to remove bugs when testing, not see if someone can beat it before they finish that 2 liter of Mountain Dew. Removing bugs involves running endless test cases and writing test plans. You know what most people would consider boring and tedious work, especially gamers. Someone with an attention span of a dog chasing a squirrel need not apply. In fact, most people who call themselves gamers need not apply. Not to mention, to be a good tester, you have to have almost the exact opposite approach of a gamer. You are trying to break it, not play it.

Watch the credits of any game you have handy and wait for the long list of QA at the end. Notice there's not a lot of people with names like Bob and Jerry (unless that's the Americanized nick name they chose to help those of us who have trouble pronouncing names that appear to be missing vowels).

Please use plain text.
Message 23 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

Apr 24, 2012

Trophies don't mean anything to me. I have too much fun playing the game instead of trying to beat 300+ challenges or playing on the hardest difficulty. Or fighting game online trophies (I get my butt kicked 6 out of 10 times ). I can see the charm of trophies, but they really don't interest me.

Please use plain text.
Message 24 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Apr 24, 2012

A guy can't throw anything positive on the table around here without getting cut down?  You guys take one tiny little comment out of my three paragraph (and completely positive) post and pound it with a blitzkreig of negative waves.

First of all, you guys need to stop the inappropriate comments.  I shave everyday and I don't eat chips.  Your stereotyping is inappropriate.  Maybe Video Game Tester wan't a good example, but it doesn't matter what kind of job you want, if you can show you are passionate about the work, that alone is an edge when it comes to getting a job. The fact that I have to break that down for you guys is kind of disturbing.  The guy before you says trophies don't mean jack.  I guess the millions of gamers who do care about trophies don't matter either?  I've worked hard for years building on what I love and some guy is gonna just walk in here and tell me it doesn't mean crap?  There are a lot of things you guys care about and I don't, but the difference is I keep my negative comments to myself.  Trophies may not mean anything to you guys, but they do to millions of other gamers. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Please use plain text.
Message 25 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Apr 24, 2012

The reason I picked out one comment from the several paragraphs was that it was the part that I objected to. Your point about trophies being important to others. Fine. I don't disagree. That some look at it as a status? Fine. I don't disagree. That they can be fun and give a game some replay value. Fine. I don't disagree.

That it will get you a job, or even contribute to getting a job? No, I disagree. That's a one in a billion thing where someone's gamer trophies would be the tiny bit of edge in getting employment over someone who had no trophies (or less trophies). I don't have a problem with anything else you said.

My stereotype wasn't of you. I was trying to be funny while pointing out the absurdity of trophies translating into a professional resume.

Please use plain text.
Message 26 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
252 posts

Apr 24, 2012

kythunder wrote:

what your saying is absolutely false...you obviously know nothing how the industry works...trophies dont mean jack...

Wade McGilberry of Semmes, Alabama won $1,000,000 for being the first gamer to pitch a perfect game in Major League Baseball 2K10.  His trophy meant "jack" to him.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 27 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
663 posts

Apr 24, 2012

They don't mean anything to me. It feels tacked on, many old games don't support it and it doesn't feel like its a vital part of the gaming system.

Please use plain text.
Message 28 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3055 posts

Apr 24, 2012

yeah trophies probably mean alot to you teenagers for bragging or whatever it may be but once your older they dont mean jack..lol

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 29 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
23 posts

Apr 24, 2012

not even a litle bit

Please use plain text.
Message 30 of 43 (17 Views)
0 Likes