Wastelander
914 posts

Re: How much did you spend and how much have you saved with PSN+?

Jun 29, 2010

your taking some type of Accounting im sure? lol.. I bet your good at those........If Jim has $15 and Jill has $34 and they want to split a cab that cost $8 a mile and they are going x miles...........LOL!! You could solve that right?

Message 11 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1002 posts

Jun 29, 2010

That's algebra

But seriously, the only way to see savings IS to spend money, but that's not what I mean.  The TRUE savings is if the savings exceed the cost of the subscription for that month.  Because if you didn't have the subscription, you wouldn't save, right?

So yeah, if you bought a 12 month plan, and got 3 months free, it comes out to $3.34 a month you need to save to make up for the subscription.  This month all I saved after accounting for the cost of PSN+ was a quarter, but next month might be different.

Hey, a quarter here and a quarter there, and who knows?  I may have a dollar soon!

Message 12 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
914 posts

Jun 29, 2010

Hey i feel ya! Great thread. As well as the other.  I got 2 words for you on savings...CHANGE BUCKET! LOL! anyone wanting to save up some $ is save all your change..(Not the change OBAMA is bringing LOL you'll go broke!) dude i have saved over $3000 in almost 2 years. Anytime i get change back< Bammmmm in the bucket. I never pay with exact change, and NEVER throw out a penny when you get one..People that do this are retarded!! The end of this year all that change will be bying me a Motorcycle! NOW THATS SAVINGS!

Message 13 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Jun 29, 2010

guitalex2007 wrote:

That's algebra

But seriously, the only way to see savings IS to spend money, but that's not what I mean.  The TRUE savings is if the savings exceed the cost of the subscription for that month.  Because if you didn't have the subscription, you wouldn't save, right?

So yeah, if you bought a 12 month plan, and got 3 months free, it comes out to $3.34 a month you need to save to make up for the subscription.  This month all I saved after accounting for the cost of PSN+ was a quarter, but next month might be different.

Hey, a quarter here and a quarter there, and who knows?  I may have a dollar soon!

Yup.

And I'm kinda seeing what you're saying, it's just that you didn't portray that effectively in the OP which is why I was posting what I was posting.

Also, and this is just a little gripe, I keep seeing $3.34 (and not just from you, I'm sure).  $50 / 15 months = $3.33 & 1/3 per month.  Since 1/3 is less than 0.5 that cost always rounds down to $3.33.  Unless you were in my High School physics class.  That teacher was a nut.  Always round to Even?  That rediculously throws off calculations!

Message 14 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1982 posts

Jun 29, 2010

guitalex2007 wrote:

It's rounded up because that's the worst case scenario.  So TECHNICALLY every three months you'll pay $3.34 and every other month it's $3.33...

Well, that was the idea anyway.

It's like leap year!

Message 15 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1002 posts

Jun 29, 2010

It's rounded up because that's the worst case scenario.  So TECHNICALLY every three months you'll pay $3.34 and every other month it's $3.33...

Well, that was the idea anyway.

edit:  Plus adding the Qore for 1 year and a half...

($24.99+3*$2.99)/15 = $2.27

Meaning you only need to save...

$3.34-$2.27 = $1.07/month

So... hard to justify NOT having PSN+ when all you need to save to make the purchase worth it is $1.07... download the avatars; there you go, find some way to save more than 7 cents and you're set.

Message 16 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4536 posts

Jun 29, 2010

This thread is also flawed many ways,

1. What if you don't live in United States?...Than you're paying $49.99 (+ TAX) for 12 months) so you're whole concept is wrong.
  2. What if we didn't buy any of the discounted prices? what if I just went for all of the free stuff?
  3. What about the free Dlc?...Yea it's free but if you're not a subscriber than it's still costs $$$.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 17 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1002 posts

Jul 2, 2010

halowars7 wrote:

This thread is also flawed many ways,

1. What if you don't live in United States?...Than you're paying $49.99 (+ TAX) for 12 months) so you're whole concept is wrong.
  2. What if we didn't buy any of the discounted prices? what if I just went for all of the free stuff?
  3. What about the free Dlc?...Yea it's free but if you're not a subscriber than it's still costs $$$.

It's not exactly flawed.  I'm not telling you how much you spent; I'm telling you how much I spent.  It shows how you can do your own math.  Add $49.99, add tax, divide by 12 and voila?  You have the number you need to save to make it worth it.  Of course by worth it, it only depends if you care or not about the "rental aspect".  If you'd rather not consider that, then let's assume your tax is 10% for simplicity.

$55/12 - Qore (25 + tax = $27.50/12) = $27.50/12 = $2.30 at most a month, if you consider that you're paying for a subscription to Qore as well.  If you don't care about Qore, with a 10% tax, you only need to save $4.59 a month to make it worth it.

If you decide to download every free thing, don't you think that's already worth $4.59 a month?  If you care about Qore, don't you think it's all worth $2.30 a month?

Message 18 of 18 (12 Views)
0 Likes