Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Re: How many customers will Sony lose because of Pay to Play?

Jul 28, 2013
Yeah, for years they shouted it from the rooftops man. That was their big sales pitch to separate themselves from their competitors.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 41 of 197 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
72 posts

Jul 28, 2013

I'm sure some will, but I think the majority either won't care or give in and pay up. The required PS+ for online may be to offset the $400 of the PS4 which I'm sure is being sold at a loss. Or maybe they feel the added amount of features for PS4's online funtionality is worth the extra cost. I really don't think it's going to be that big of a deal.

Message 42 of 197 (258 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1465 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Punfisher wrote:
Yeah, for years they shouted it from the rooftops man. That was their big sales pitch to separate themselves from their competitors.

i dont think ive ever heard a we Never...i remember hearing a we Don't

photo 4uxeSNX.jpgIn Me

Message 43 of 197 (257 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1050 posts

Jul 28, 2013

If you can pay $60 for a game you can afford PS+, period.

Go to McDonald's 1 less time a month it's paid for.

Let's sweeten the deal. If you give me $50 you can come to my house every month and pick out free games to keep

would you do it. Hey I'll make it sweeter, I'll also give you other freebies avatars, themes etc....

But wait there is more. I'll also give you free movies, I'll also give you discounts no one else can get.

Still not interested?

OK, I'll also give you a better online experience.

Would you take this deal?

Courage is saddling up, even though your scared to death.

Atari 2600, ColecoVision, NES, Genesis, Saturn, Sega CD, PS1, PS2, PS3 (2), DS, PSP, 360, PS4, VITA
Message 44 of 197 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12010 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

You guys keep thinking it's all about what people can or can't afford.  Sure, you can afford to pay 100% taxes.  But should you?  No.  It's about what is and what is not appropriate.  It is not appropriate for Sony to charge for online after promising they never would. they never said anything about the ps4, they only promised that for the ps3  They lost the trust of many when they lost control of our banking information and personal data.  So their way of trying to gain back that trust is to start breaking promises and price gouging the gaming community? 

We're not only going to be charged to play online, we will also be charged to play games we already paid for through Geikei.  It all started with DLC.  The add-on system evolved into a state where the games were being released "half-developed" and sold at full price.  You later could download the other half of the game for even more money.  The paying and paying and paying is out of control and some people, obviously not you, are getting sick of it.

>

Message 45 of 197 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
172 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Im sure they want lose to much because it still has better deals than Xbox One and if its not PS4 then I guess its a pricy Gaming PC or Laptop! 

You can also still access the Online capabilities of PSN like make an account purchase and browse the store and still play Online games, the PlayStation Plus system only applys to certain video games that chose to have the pay to play service so not every game will cost you to play Online! 

Planetside 2 will be free to buy via store online AND free to play ONLINE since it is already a large free to play on pc right now thanks to Sony Online Entertainment studios!

Message 46 of 197 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
282 posts

Jul 28, 2013

The fact that the PS3 was free to play was part of the reason I left XBox; that and InFamous looked awesome.  I purchased xbox live for several years but because I didn't play online that much I felt I wasn't getting my money's worth.  I don't use Netflix, rarely purchased anything on xbox live so Gold wasn't doing anything for me.

I come over to PSN and its still the same.  I rarely purchase anything on PSN, I do play online a bit more now that I'm in a clan for Call of Duty.  I only buy a few games a year as I don't get much time to play.  Still don't have Netflix or any of that crap.  So I guess I'm one of the low volume customers Sony would like to get rid of huh.

Paying for PS+ is no big deal for me; I paid for Gold on Xbox.  I probably won't download any of the "free" games from PSN; seriously it takes forever to download anything-just purchased BF3 and I had to let it download overnight.  Hopefully they will improve the speeds of downloads.

I probably will get a PS4 after its been out a while.  I want to see more of the Order 1886 and see how PSN handles having both PS3 and PS4 systems on their network. I'm concerned that PSN will go down when the PS4 is launched.

PSN:dragon672 Xbox: dragon672

Message 47 of 197 (236 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jul 28, 2013

heGOTmeAGAIN wrote:

If you can pay $60 for a game you can afford PS+, period.

Go to McDonald's 1 less time a month it's paid for.

Let's sweeten the deal. If you give me $50 you can come to my house every month and pick out free games to keep

would you do it. Hey I'll make it sweeter, I'll also give you other freebies avatars, themes etc....

But wait there is more. I'll also give you free movies, I'll also give you discounts no one else can get.

Still not interested?

OK, I'll also give you a better online experience.

Would you take this deal?

If you can afford $50 for PS+ and the cost of gaming, you can afford to pay higher taxes.  Quit going to McDonalds and you can give more of your paycheck to the government.  Let's get serious.  It's the same principal.  You want me to pay more money for my hobby?  I want you to pay more money to the government so all the freeloaders can have more stuff.
I never bought PS+.  Never liked it.  I'm not a big fan of the free games you would get as an incentive.  I don't do downloadable games anyway.  However, I acknowledge that many people do like those games, but those freebies are only going to be around for a short time.  It's all smoke and mirrors to take the edge off the backlash when PS+ becomes mandatory.  After a short time there will be no more free stuff for getting PS+.  It's the same tactic used in many industries.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 48 of 197 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4403 posts

Jul 28, 2013

How many customers will Sony lose? Who knows, but I doubt it will be that noticeable.

I'm actually surprised at how many people are defending it for PS4, after seeing so many talk so poorly about that idea when it was only seen on the 360...

But, I guess just like XBL, you will hear people both defending it and others complaining about it.

Am I going to pay? Yes, because I'm already a PS+ subscriber and my subscription spans across my PS3 (while Sony supports it for the next few years), PSV, and PS4.

Does this mean I have to like the idea of my PS+ subscription being necessary to play online MP, for PS4? No.

We are paying for a better and more reliable PlayStation Network, not dedicated game servers.

People will still experience lag / game drops, due to games still being peer-to-peer. (Unless otherwise noted.)

But, by having a better PSN this will hopefully minimize issues related to PSN, while playing MP.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 49 of 197 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
277 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Not many i would assume, the ones that do probably will keep playing ps3 games until they give in. The offers of ps+ are great and worth it anyways. Beneficial for us all this way in the long run.

Message 50 of 197 (230 Views)
0 Likes