Wastelander
666 posts

Re: How many customers will Sony lose because of Pay to Play?

Jul 17, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
As I've always felt, if you cant afford $50-$60 a year to play online, you should probably not play so many games and get a better paying job. Cruel, maybe, but the honest truth.

It's not about what one can afford.  I could afford $10,000 a year to play online, but is that ethical?  It's about drawing the line in the sand.  I only have internet for the games.  I'm paying over $600 a year to play online.  That's where I draw the line.  Anyone who thinks I'm not paying enough has a mental disorder.

Plus seems nice at first, you get a lot of free stuff.  But that's how they entice you and once everyone's on board all that free stuff is gonna go away. 

You are paying $600 for internet not to play online. I pay something like $125 a month for cable and internet but if an online subscription of a PPV event cost more then that was my choice. The reason for the influx is because of Sony's servers and the maintanence. While I love my PS3 and all I will admit that xbox had way smoother servers and I never got disconnected, where as on PS3 I am disconnected often(i know that isnt a case for everyone, but it is for me) I have the fastest internet my provider offers as well as use a broadband cat6 cable so it is definetley Sony's end. I am willing to pay a very small fee to get much more secure servers, plus we may not have anopther security breach on the network again.

Message 31 of 197 (344 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3825 posts

Jul 18, 2013

These are all very good responses, an hopefuly people will change their minds and not miss out on ps4 Smiley Happy

KZMProductionsGT
Message 32 of 197 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1609 posts

Jul 18, 2013
3, but they will get 9 more
Message 33 of 197 (315 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1820 posts

Jul 18, 2013

Honestly, we will never know... 

1.) Those who will stick to their word are either going to Play PS4 Offline, or stick to PS3, or move on to something else, like PC... 

2.) Those from X-Box Live are already paying for Live, so they will obviously pay for Plus once they move to PS4... 

3.) Both Consoles will Require it now, so a lot of Non-Plus Subsribers will if not already done so, will be switching over... 

Mainly because they have no other choice... 

But as the Subject reads, just because PS4 is going Plus Requirement... 

Doesn't mean i'll be leaving Sony... 

I will still be using my PS3, & no i'm not switching over to Plus just for the PS4... No... 

But I can however say that once my PS3 Breaks, i'm switching over to PC... That much, I can garentee... 

Will this Effect Pre-Orders? Yes, because some don't want to, but feel they need to, so they'll hold off on it till Price Drops... 

Will this Effect Game Sales? Yes, because of the same issue... 

Game Sales will already be different for me, as well... I have not Pre-Ordered anything twards PS4, & 

all my Pre-Orders will be on PC... 

Again, i'm not leaving Sony yet, but there is nothing the PS4 can Offer me, that I actually like about it, ~_~ 

And X-Box One is just crap from the start... @_@

Hey, Yo, Waaaaazzzzuuupp!!! .................................................................................................................

Playstation 4
Too much Networking, & Socializing, but yet not enough Gaming... ~_~
Not My Style!!!

Get Your Portable ID!
Message 34 of 197 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jul 28, 2013

UnrealButcher wrote:

The thing is you pay your internet provider $600/year, not Sony. Sony is charging you for their service (they have to pay rent, power, employee's, etc to maintain their network and hopefully improve it), the same as Netflix ($7.99/month streaming) does for theirs.

I'm sure nobody would say, "You aren't paying enough." Unfortunately, Sony isn't getting a cut of that money.

You've completely missed my point.  I understand Sony isn't getting a cut in that $600.  However, they need to take into consideration that people are already paying quite a bit to play their games.  Sony also promised that we would never have to pay to play online.  So they broke their promise.  It was different with the Xbox 360 because their system was that way from the beginning.  But you can't switch gears in the middle, after promising you wouldn't, and expect no backlash.

And yes, everyone here seems to be saying that we need to pay more.  This generation is actually demanding that we all pay more.  They want to pay more.  I don't get it.  This mentality is only going to raise prices and increase the cost of sevices.  I've never seen it before in my life where consumers feel like they just aren't being charged enough and want to pay more.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 35 of 197 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jul 28, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

I already know a decent number of people who are not getting ps4 and will either stay with their ps3 or go to pc. Im thinking some people will stay to their word of not paying to play online on top of paying for internet. Only 5 people on my friends list have PS Plus, and I dont expect that every one of my friends will even be cool with getting PS Plus in the first place :/

Becuase there is now a paywall for online multi, how many customers do you think Sony will lose because of this?

I have had Xbox Live gold for 9 years. I am gettin a Launch Edition PS4 from Amazon. I think that Charging for the PS4 online multiplayer is actually a good thing. It will force Sony to better the server quality and security. I have no problem paying only $50 / year for multiplayer. I have pretty much been doing that already for close to a decade. But i will be cancelling Xbox Live gold once i get a PS4. Because the PS4 will be my new multiplayer console. And i don't want to be paying for both PS4 and Xbox 360 online.

photo BBSIGANIMATED_zpsbd119225.gif
Message 36 of 197 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12390 posts

Jul 28, 2013

Punfisher wrote:

UnrealButcher wrote:

The thing is you pay your internet provider $600/year, not Sony. Sony is charging you for their service (they have to pay rent, power, employee's, etc to maintain their network and hopefully improve it), the same as Netflix ($7.99/month streaming) does for theirs.

I'm sure nobody would say, "You aren't paying enough." Unfortunately, Sony isn't getting a cut of that money.

You've completely missed my point.  I understand Sony isn't getting a cut in that $600.  However, they need to take into consideration that people are already paying quite a bit to play their games.  Sony also promised that we would never have to pay to play online.  So they broke their promise.  It was different with the Xbox 360 because their system was that way from the beginning.  But you can't switch gears in the middle, after promising you wouldn't, and expect no backlash.

And yes, everyone here seems to be saying that we need to pay more.  This generation is actually demanding that we all pay more.  They want to pay more.  I don't get it.  This mentality is only going to raise prices and increase the cost of sevices.  I've never seen it before in my life where consumers feel like they just aren't being charged enough and want to pay more.

um no they never made the promise for anything else, they only promised youl never have to pay to play online for the current platforms.  and you still wont for the ps3 , vita and even psp

>

Message 37 of 197 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Jul 28, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

I already know a decent number of people who are not getting ps4 and will either stay with their ps3 or go to pc. Im thinking some people will stay to their word of not paying to play online on top of paying for internet. Only 5 people on my friends list have PS Plus, and I dont expect that every one of my friends will even be cool with getting PS Plus in the first place :/

Becuase there is now a paywall for online multi, how many customers do you think Sony will lose because of this?

If you can can't afford PS+, you can't afford the PS4.  If you can afford it and don't think its a good deal, take another look.  You get a bunch of free games worth well over the $50 plus cloud saves and auto updates, etc.  It is worth the money, if you invested in the console.  If $50 a year is a big deal, look into getting a better job.  However, I expect the service will get better than what I have heard.

Sony will benefit from the people that leave and I think secretly they will be glad to see you go. It may sound counter-intuitive, but some companies purposely dump low paying complainers (like the people complaining about PS+ pricing).  If you are complaining about $50 a year online, you can't afford to spend much, if any money.  This saves Sony bandwidth for the people willing to invest in the console, which in turn encourages more paying customers.  In addition, Sony is bringing in Xbox defectors like me that are willing to pay for service, games, etc.  I will probably spend $200+ on top of the PS+ membership and maybe more.

I can see some logic to staying on the PS3 in the short term.  Its a sunk cost, you have the console and games, but how long do you want to stay on last generation and how much longer will your PS3 last?  In the long term, you don't have any cheaper options with decent graphics - Wii U, Android, and IOS are all casual gaming devices.  The only alternatives are the Xbox One, which charges roughly the same and the PC.

I don't get the PC argument.  A decent gaming PC costs way more even if all the online gaming is free and the games are at a reduced price over eight years.  I am not knocking PC gaming, its just inherently more expensive.  I do own a PC for gaming myself for starcraft 2.  Let's look at the TCO of a PC versus a PS4 over eight years assuming you spend half what you would have spent on a PS4.

Gaming PC

$1,500 PC #1

$1,500 PC #2

$0 for online gaming

$800 @ $100 per year on steam playing last years' games with about 5 games per year.

$3,800 total cost of ownership

PS4

PS4 $400

PS+ (8 x  %$50) = $800

$1,600 @ $200 per year for 3 AAA titles, some PS store spending, and  several PS+ titles per month.

$2,800

The games aren't exact, but you can't get decent PC gaming for eight years on the same rig.  Even with only one replacement in eight years, which is low its still $1,000 more expensive.  Why would you complain about $50 per year when its $1,000 cheaper than a console over the life of the device?  This argument doesn't make sense, if money is really the issue.

Message 38 of 197 (235 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
310 posts

Jul 28, 2013

You guys keep thinking it's all about what people can or can't afford.  Sure, you can afford to pay 100% taxes.  But should you?  No.  It's about what is and what is not appropriate.  It is not appropriate for Sony to charge for online after promising they never would.  They lost the trust of many when they lost control of our banking information and personal data.  So their way of trying to gain back that trust is to start breaking promises and price gouging the gaming community? 

We're not only going to be charged to play online, we will also be charged to play games we already paid for through Geikei.  It all started with DLC.  The add-on system evolved into a state where the games were being released "half-developed" and sold at full price.  You later could download the other half of the game for even more money.  The paying and paying and paying is out of control and some people, obviously not you, are getting sick of it.

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 39 of 197 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1465 posts

Jul 28, 2013

they said they never would?

photo 4uxeSNX.jpgIn Me

Message 40 of 197 (302 Views)
0 Likes