Highlighted
First Son
10 posts

Re: How many customers will Sony lose because of Pay to Play?

Aug 7, 2013
Sony isn't going to lose customers, the casual/experimental multiplayer pool might shrink a bit, but real multiplayers won't see Plus as an obstacle.
Message 161 of 197 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
105 posts

Aug 8, 2013
Ha if anything micro$oft xbox 180 is losing more every new announcement they make like recently that any dvr function xbox has requires xbox gold haha so stupid that they are so out of touch. Whats next? they just need to just stop or mabey do a 180 and copy sony...mabey? Probably ya for sure probably
Message 162 of 197 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2157 posts

Aug 8, 2013

I am sure most people wont be affected by the pay to play online.  Even the children can talk thier parents into an extra 50 a year for online play and if worst comes to worst just buy one (or maybe 2 if preowned) less games a year to be able to play online.  There isnt enough of an uproar to make Sony consider changing the policy so it will not happen. 

Atari, Nintendo, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64, PS1, Sega Saturn, PS2, PSP, PS3, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo 3ds and PS4
Message 163 of 197 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Aug 8, 2013

lanie_faye wrote:
Ha if anything micro$oft xbox 180 is losing more every new announcement they make like recently that any dvr function xbox has requires xbox gold haha so stupid that they are so out of touch. Whats next? they just need to just stop or mabey do a 180 and copy sony...mabey? Probably ya for sure probably

Haven't you bee reading the news?

Microsoft did a complete 180 and removed all the restrictions..... As it stands... Xbox and Playstation are on an even keel.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 164 of 197 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Chewywalnut wrote:

LOL!!! If I got to get a PS plus subscription then so be it, but that does not take away from the fact that anything can be hacked. Take it from me, I ised to have to hack into systems for the job I used to work, and it ws something I ws terrible at, I found that no matter the system, government militayr civilian and even other hackers.....there's always a way in.

Really?

Hacking into government mainframes as your job? And you were bad at it? 

You wouldn't be hired as a White Hat for the government if you weren't good.

Whiles yes, there is always a way in.... you're being a bit facetious if you really think you're THAT good and be so modest about it.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 165 of 197 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Aug 8, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

Microsoft did a complete 180 and removed all the restrictions..... As it stands... Xbox and Playstation are on an even keel.

I don't agree.

1.) Playstation is $100 cheaper.  That is one additional AAA title and a bunch of downloads.

2.) Playstation Plus offers a bunch of free games and what I have seen most of them are good titles that I want to play.  Xbox has started offering very old titles.  I spend roughly the same and get to play more games, which is the point of a gaming system.

3.) Microsoft still has a mandatory Kinect, which has zero value.  If you disagree, name several games that it is worth buying for.  Even if it did add value, why do I have to buy it bundled?

4.) Microsoft doesn't insist on an always on connection, but who is going to bother to turn it off?  Yes, I could get up and disconnect it every day, but I don't have to go through the hassle with the cheaper PS4.

5.) Microsoft wanted to monitor software use and didn't promise they never would.   How much do you trust a company that has flip flopped as much as they have?  What would stop Microsoft from a reversal a few years out?

6.) Kinect can monitor heartbeat, facial expressions, etc.  Microsoft has given NSA access to almost every other service.  It is niave to think NSA won't monitor this as well.  Microsoft claims you can turn it off, which is wrong if its listening for you to say "Xbox on."  I could cover the video and mute the sound somehow or just get the cheaper PS4.

7.) Xbox fanboy arguments that I am dumb, "don't get it", "government is monitoring you anyway so bend over" or "wear a tinfoil hat."  None of the Xbox One arguments rely on logic, just name calling and vague references to the future.  I realize it isn't directly related to the console, but I don't want to hang out with these ignorant morons.

8.) Playstation exclusives are exclusive.  Most Xbox exclusives are also PC.  If you are a gamer, you probably own a PC and can play those games.  Titanfall, Project Spark, and Plants versus Zombies Garden warfare are on the PC.

9.) PS4 exclusives seem to target a more mature audience with titles like Beyond Two Souls and The Last of Us.  I don't think Microsoft can compete on exclusives even if they were exclusive.

10.) Microsoft sees the Xbox One as an entertainment device focused on TV.  Sony sees the PS4 as a gaming system.  I have ten devices to control my TV.  I want a gaming system toplay games. Sony gets it.

I don't see a single good reason to buy the Xbox One or the Wii U for that matter.  I bought the Xbox 360 and Wii last generation and if anyone comes out with something better than Sony next gen, I would buy that.  I am not a fanboy of any company or console, I just want the best gaming console each generation.  This generation the PS4 is the only and clear choice.  If Sony stays on the path they are on, I am pretty certain they will have the best system next gen as well and I will buy that.

Message 166 of 197 (202 Views)
Big Daddy
16824 posts

Aug 8, 2013

blackf77t wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

I don't agree.

1.) Playstation is $100 cheaper.  That is one additional AAA title and a bunch of downloads.
Because it doesn't include the camera, if Sony included the camera, it would likely be the same price.

2.) Playstation Plus offers a bunch of free games and what I have seen most of them are good titles that I want to play.  Xbox has started offering very old titles.  I spend roughly the same and get to play more games, which is the point of a gaming system.

Of course. 

3.) Microsoft still has a mandatory Kinect, which has zero value.  If you disagree, name several games that it is worth buying for.  Even if it did add value, why do I have to buy it bundled?

Its bundled because Microsoft wants to push people to buy motion control games, and its prompting developers to include support for it.... its doing pretty well as numbers are in the TENS OF MILLIONS in combined sales numbers of the camera itself, and the games developed for it.
"Worth buying for" is a very opinionated phrase. As such, I am not bothered by motion control, but I do not bother myself with it because I have not yet been impressed with it. For me, there isn't much of a selection of games that entice me to buy into it. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. Microsoft is making hand over fist off the Kinect.... Most older people wont bother with it... but you know who REALLY buys into it? children. regardless of what anyone thinks, children are a huge source of sales.... look at all the successful Disney "stars" to come out of them.... Even the Olsen Twins and their large industry.... its in the BILLIONS.... and who buys their stuff? Parents, who have children.
If you don't know the sales figues just for kinect hardware and software, open a new tab and use google. You might also want a calculator.
Just because of your opinion of a device is different from anyone elses, doesn't mean that it doesn't have the clout to prove itself (which it has).

4.) Microsoft doesn't insist on an always on connection, but who is going to bother to turn it off?  Yes, I could get up and disconnect it every day, but I don't have to go through the hassle with the cheaper PS4.

You don't have to "get up and disconnect" it.... because the Xbox One is also WiFi enabled... it would only be a few button presses to get to the settings menu to turn off the WiFi. 

5.) Microsoft wanted to monitor software use and didn't promise they never would.   How much do you trust a company that has flip flopped as much as they have?  What would stop Microsoft from a reversal a few years out?
The fact that Microsoft AND Sony for that matter, have made presentations and statements before, during and after the fact, sets the precedence that Microsoft was going to FAIL due to their restrictions. Because of the MASSIVE backlash and pressure from EVERYONE, they had no choice but to do a 180 otherwise, they'd literally be dead in the water. Even if they didn't, how long would it have taken them to finally flip 180* and say "Okay, we give up, we'll meet your demands and remove our restrictions, just please buy our stuff". 
If you read the news closely, a lot of Sony's moves, were in response to the negative feedback that Microsoft was enduring.... its even been mentioned that the reason why the PS4 is $100 cheaper, is because Sony caught wind that MS was making the camera mandatory and Sony knew from the PS3's price, that they would win a lot of people from not making a camera mandatory and as such, the bean counters said a lower price while still being profitable is possible.
Not to mention the massive twitter responses from Sony big-wigs directly responding to the many detailed concerns about the PS4, REGARDLESS that the PS4 had already proven itself to be the better choice as of E3.

6.) Kinect can monitor heartbeat, facial expressions, etc.  Microsoft has given NSA access to almost every other service.  It is niave to think NSA won't monitor this as well.  Microsoft claims you can turn it off, which is wrong if its listening for you to say "Xbox on."  I could cover the video and mute the sound somehow or just get the cheaper PS4.

Its also pretty naive, and ignorant to think that the NSA would REALLY want to watch you play a game, watch TV, sleep, eat, chat with friends etc etc.... you're going into tin-foil hat territory here. 
But you know whats the most simple solution? Don't connect it, tape cotton over its mic, and some tape over the lens.... Maybe don't connect to the internet at all?
While I admit that certain things are a bit creepy as to the camera's abilities.... this isnt anything new for any sort of camera made in the last 10 years or so. Did you know that most camera's with night visioin can also pick up heat sources through a good part of the infrared scale? The kinect does something similar, and its readings are not an exact thing.... its an approximation. If you bothered to look at the demos of it, its readings are pretty erratic as it is.

7.) Xbox fanboy arguments that I am dumb, "don't get it", "government is monitoring you anyway so bend over" or "wear a tinfoil hat."  None of the Xbox One arguments rely on logic, just name calling and vague references to the future.  I realize it isn't directly related to the console, but I don't want to hang out with these ignorant morons.

Then you should be off the internet... because when you throw your opinion out there, you have to at least be able to deal with the idiots and the name calling and such. Neither of the PS4's arguments are the same either.... really think about the counter-points to the Xbox One... ASIDE from the camera. Really think about it.... what is SO DIFFERENT about the Xbox One, that the PS4 can/can't do? Theres very little difference.

8.) Playstation exclusives are exclusive.  Most Xbox exclusives are also PC.  If you are a gamer, you probably own a PC and can play those games.  Titanfall, Project Spark, and Plants versus Zombies Garden warfare are on the PC.

Not true. But go ahead.... show me some AAA Xbox 360 and Xbox One exclusives that are not on PC. They will outnumber most games that are also going onto PC.... Heres a little hint about Titanfall that they've been closed lipped about..... They are not leaving the PS4 out of the question as they have briefly commented on it in an interview... thats a nice little loose end to think about. Just because SOME games are also going to the PC.... doesn't meant that ALL games for the X1 will also be on PC.... 

9.) PS4 exclusives seem to target a more mature audience with titles like Beyond Two Souls and The Last of Us.  I don't think Microsoft can compete on exclusives even if they were exclusive.

Debatable.... but won't go into it. Especially if you don't have a xbox.

10.) Microsoft sees the Xbox One as an entertainment device focused on TV.  Sony sees the PS4 as a gaming system.  I have ten devices to control my TV.  I want a gaming system toplay games. Sony gets it.

Fair enough.... but thats because they've actually mentioned it many times before. They are both still fighting for their device to be plugged into HDMI slot 1, which means, your primary entertainment device.

I don't see a single good reason to buy the Xbox One or the Wii U for that matter.  I bought the Xbox 360 and Wii last generation and if anyone comes out with something better than Sony next gen, I would buy that.  I am not a fanboy of any company or console, I just want the best gaming console each generation.  This generation the PS4 is the only and clear choice.  If Sony stays on the path they are on, I am pretty certain they will have the best system next gen as well and I will buy that.
You might not. But many people think otherwise. Of course, its your opinion. But to blindly think that its simply better is downright naivete. 

I'll by buying both anyway. I play on all consoles. Some more than others, as I still do have my preferences, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy ALL games no matter what platform they're on. I'll play any game, on any platform it was meant to played on. This is why games like Crysis, Metro etc etc are best played on PC and you're cheapening the experience if you buy it on a console.
its my opinion. Does that affect you? No.

But it was nice playing Devil's Advocate.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 167 of 197 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6929 posts

Aug 8, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

blackf77t wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

I don't agree.

Because it doesn't include the camera, if Sony included the camera, it would likely be the same price.

The PS4 would still be $40 cheaper but other than that I agree with the rest of your post.
The only other cost issue is that I believe you are getting better hardware specs at and a cheaper price. DDR3 is cheaper than DDR5 but yet the cost of the PS4 is cheaper, is my point. So camera aside you are technically getting a better "deal" with the PS4.

Troll, flame or be offensive:Trolling and flaming is when you deliberately make offensive or provocative comments with the aim of upsetting another user or prompting an angry response from them.We will remove posts or threads which are found to be insulting, harassing, threatening or non-constructive and overly negative. We reserve the right to immediately delete any posting or suspend any user at our sole discretion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRTN97XEASQ
Message 168 of 197 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Aug 8, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

blackf77t wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

lanie_faye wrote:

I don't agree.

Of course. 

Its bundled because Microsoft wants to push people to buy motion control games, and its prompting developers to include support for it.... its doing pretty well as numbers are in the TENS OF MILLIONS in combined sales numbers of the camera itself, and the games developed for it.
"Worth buying for" is a very opinionated phrase. As such, I am not bothered by motion control, but I do not bother myself with it because I have not yet been impressed with it. For me, there isn't much of a selection of games that entice me to buy into it. But that doesn't mean it isn't worth anything. Microsoft is making hand over fist off the Kinect.... Most older people wont bother with it... but you know who REALLY buys into it? children. regardless of what anyone thinks, children are a huge source of sales.... look at all the successful Disney "stars" to come out of them.... Even the Olsen Twins and their large industry.... its in the BILLIONS.... and who buys their stuff? Parents, who have children.
If you don't know the sales figues just for kinect hardware and software, open a new tab and use google. You might also want a calculator.
Just because of your opinion of a device is different from anyone elses, doesn't mean that it doesn't have the clout to prove itself (which it has).

You don't have to "get up and disconnect" it.... because the Xbox One is also WiFi enabled... it would only be a few button presses to get to the settings menu to turn off the WiFi. 

The fact that Microsoft AND Sony for that matter, have made presentations and statements before, during and after the fact, sets the precedence that Microsoft was going to FAIL due to their restrictions. Because of the MASSIVE backlash and pressure from EVERYONE, they had no choice but to do a 180 otherwise, they'd literally be dead in the water. Even if they didn't, how long would it have taken them to finally flip 180* and say "Okay, we give up, we'll meet your demands and remove our restrictions, just please buy our stuff". 
If you read the news closely, a lot of Sony's moves, were in response to the negative feedback that Microsoft was enduring.... its even been mentioned that the reason why the PS4 is $100 cheaper, is because Sony caught wind that MS was making the camera mandatory and Sony knew from the PS3's price, that they would win a lot of people from not making a camera mandatory and as such, the bean counters said a lower price while still being profitable is possible.
Not to mention the massive twitter responses from Sony big-wigs directly responding to the many detailed concerns about the PS4, REGARDLESS that the PS4 had already proven itself to be the better choice as of E3.

Its also pretty naive, and ignorant to think that the NSA would REALLY want to watch you play a game, watch TV, sleep, eat, chat with friends etc etc.... you're going into tin-foil hat territory here. 
But you know whats the most simple solution? Don't connect it, tape cotton over its mic, and some tape over the lens.... Maybe don't connect to the internet at all?
While I admit that certain things are a bit creepy as to the camera's abilities.... this isnt anything new for any sort of camera made in the last 10 years or so. Did you know that most camera's with night visioin can also pick up heat sources through a good part of the infrared scale? The kinect does something similar, and its readings are not an exact thing.... its an approximation. If you bothered to look at the demos of it, its readings are pretty erratic as it is.

Then you should be off the internet... because when you throw your opinion out there, you have to at least be able to deal with the idiots and the name calling and such. Neither of the PS4's arguments are the same either.... really think about the counter-points to the Xbox One... ASIDE from the camera. Really think about it.... what is SO DIFFERENT about the Xbox One, that the PS4 can/can't do? Theres very little difference.

Not true. But go ahead.... show me some AAA Xbox 360 and Xbox One exclusives that are not on PC. They will outnumber most games that are also going onto PC.... Heres a little hint about Titanfall that they've been closed lipped about..... They are not leaving the PS4 out of the question as they have briefly commented on it in an interview... thats a nice little loose end to think about. Just because SOME games are also going to the PC.... doesn't meant that ALL games for the X1 will also be on PC.... 

Debatable.... but won't go into it. Especially if you don't have a xbox.

Fair enough.... but thats because they've actually mentioned it many times before. They are both still fighting for their device to be plugged into HDMI slot 1, which means, your primary entertainment device.

You might not. But many people think otherwise. Of course, its your opinion. But to blindly think that its simply better is downright naivete. 

I'll by buying both anyway. I play on all consoles. Some more than others, as I still do have my preferences, but that doesn't mean that I can't enjoy ALL games no matter what platform they're on. I'll play any game, on any platform it was meant to played on. This is why games like Crysis, Metro etc etc are best played on PC and you're cheapening the experience if you buy it on a console.
its my opinion. Does that affect you? No.

But it was nice playing Devil's Advocate.

It would be painful to reply inline so I will number them below.

1.) If I don't want or need a camera its a wasted $100 and the electricity to power it for eight years.  I haven't seen a single good argument for having a camera on my system.  If something good comes out, I can by the Sony camera separately when I want to.  Microsoft is forcing you to pay for it when it has zero value.

2.) Agreed.  I will give credit to Microsoft that Xbox Live seems more stable.  Hopefully, Sony will fix this.

3.) I understand they want to encourage development, but they are asking me to pay for it.  I don't want to and don't have to.  I do have two small children.  I think they would be just as happy with controller based games.  I think Nintendo still has the best kids experience with Mario games, but the Wii U graphics and tablet suck.  I showed my son Sony's games and he has Knack, Skylanders, Lego games, and Racket.  He will be eighteen by the time the next console comes out so he will get to play the more mature games at some point as well.

4.) Button presses I don't have to do with the PS4.

5.) When they were presented with a choice, Microsoft wanted to screw us and Sony didn't.  Those intentions will come back to haunt Xbox One gamers.

6.) A conspiracy is speculation.  The NSA is spying on us and Microsoft is helping them.  The Kinect will produce more and better data than Skype ever could.  NSA will be monitoring this without a warrant on day one.  It would also be very easy to hyjack a Xbox One from most people.  WEP can be broken in less than a minute, a nmap trace takes even less time, and wireshark can grab the files.  I could grab Kinect data in about five minutes from a poorly setup Xbox.  I could do the same on a PS4, but what would I get?

7.) The camera is a huge deal and the only reason I didn't automatically upgrade from the Xbox 360 to the Xbox One.  As soon as the details were announced, I traded in ALL of my 360 stuff and preordered a PS4.  I have a friend who did the same.  I haven't heard a single good reason to buy the Xbox One over the PS4.

8.) I am not saying all of the Xbox games will make it to the PC.  I am saying you get more exclusives with the PS4.  I used Titanfall as an example, because most people, not me, want to play it.  I bet Micrsoft will throw money at them to prevent it from going to the PS4.

9.) This can be subjective, but I really think Sony has more better titles.  The only thing I will miss out on so far is Killer Instinct.

10.) Agreed.  I think they both have to do it, but Microsoft is putting way more into it than they should.

Everyone does have a right to chose, but I am stating that the PS4 is far and away the best option and I stated ten arguments to back that up.

I also replied, because you said the Xbox One and PS4 are on an even keel now.  They are not.  The points above make it clear this still isn't the case and wont be unless the Kinect is removed from the system.  Other people chosing to buy the Xbox One does affect me.  I want the Xbox One to fail so Microsoft will remove the Kinect and the potential invasion of privacy.  I have suggested to everyone I know not to buy the Xbox One and convinced most of them not to buy it.  Unfortunately, I think the sales of the two consoles will be pretty close.

Message 169 of 197 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
308 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 2, 2013

I oppose mandatory Playstation Plus.  Sony may lose some of it's customer base, but not to competition.  Some customers will simply hang up their hat and retire from gaming completely, and I doubt it would be in droves, only a few will.  I'm contemplating doing it.

The argument I get a lot from the fanboys is that Sony needs to make Plus mandatory in order to improve games and services.  The revenue from a mandatory Plus will never improve anything.  They have already made millions from past and existing Plus subscribers and it never improved anything. 

I had Xbox Live Gold for years.  Microsoft made millions and millions from Gold and their online experience and games were no better than the PS3's free online service.  I know because I've had both for a long time.  The grass truly is not greener over there.  I ultimately made a decision to downsize and sold my 360 and games.  Sony's free online service was probably the single most reason for making that decision.  Xbox fanboys argued that Microsoft needed that revenue to improve the games and services, so I paid and paid and paid.  Nothing ever got improved.  And nothing will with mandatory Plus either.  The single most important factor in making me go unilaterally PS3 is about to vanish.

BTW, if I do ever hang up my hat it won't be over mandatory Plus alone, there are other factors involved.  I just don't like where the gaming industry has gone over the years.  I've been a gamer for almost 30 years and I never would have chosen this hobby if the culture was this way back then.  I'm tired of paying and paying just to live.  It never used to be that way.  This generation seems to be ok with it all.   I'm not trying to be dirogatory in any way, just honest.  And I know 20 kids are gonna come on here now and rant "good riddens nobody is gonna miss you!"  My Xbox 360 friends missed me.  Some of them even bought a PS3. 

Get your Portable ID!
The gap between PS3 and everything before is so huge that backwards compatibility is more important now than ever. PS3 games should be preserved.
Message 170 of 197 (132 Views)