Fender Bender
4225 posts

Re: How easily can the PS3 get a virus?

Jan 27, 2010

Mopthefloo wrote:

i want to download stuff from the browser since the PlayStation Store is limited. but i want to be sure that if i go to a bug infested site (accidently) my PS3 will remain unharmed.

you may wanna read this

Message 41 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
34736 posts

Jan 27, 2010

Mopthefloo wrote:

i want to download stuff from the browser since the PlayStation Store is limited. but i want to be sure that if i go to a bug infested site (accidently) my PS3 will remain unharmed.

It is impossible for a PS3 to be affected by viruses other malware that targets Windows, MacOS, Linux, or any other PC operating system; for the simple reason that the PS3 has no ability to run software designed for those platforms, and a virus is just a software program. The PS3 could only be affected by a virus that was specifically designed for PS3s, in which case it would have no effect on any other type of system.  Such a virus would be difficult to write, as PS3 software development kits are not widely available.  It is possible in theory, but the chances of it happening are very, very, small.  Given that PS3s have very little information of value on them (it is a game console after all), there isn't much point in writing a PS3 virus.  A PS3 would be a useful botnet node for attacking other web sites, or sending SPAM; but aside from that, it is hard to see how you could make enough money from a PS3 virus to compensate anyone for the effort of creating and distributing it.

GKP

GKP
Message 42 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Jan 28, 2010

CrazySouthrnBoy wrote:
Lol I see you dont know anything about this **bleep** man, By putting something into DMZ On a Modem or router, all you got to do is brute force a port then you have full access to there HDD then you can take a A bot or trojan & upload it as a firmware for that router or modem

wow.

just stop. ching is 100% correct. you are complete opposite of that.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 43 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 28, 2010

Lol I'm done with your newby sht. Not all shthas to be a .EXE Ive seen sht in .PHP, Firmware, etc.. If you dont know just google.com man

Ive seen my share of hacking man & I'm done fighting about this stupid sht

Message Edited by CrazySouthrnBoy on 01-28-2010 01:48 PM
Ventrilo Server: 69.90.43.131 Port: 4315
Photobucket
Photobucket

Message 44 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Jan 28, 2010
My PS3 got the H1N1 virus a couple of months ago. Luckily the virus was no were near powerful as they kept saying, so the PS3 survived.
Message 45 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

Jan 28, 2010

hi mopthe, 

There is nothing to worry about because viruses are written to be on PCs not PS3s, and if it was ever possible that a virus got on a PS3 then sony would just update the system and its security to clean it and prevent it from happening again.

Message 46 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Mar 13, 2012

My PS3 got a virus once..all it really did though was Corupt all my Saved Datta and Data utilities..it didn't really affect the PS3 it's self persay so it can happen. That's also why sony has a thing where if you use the Web Browser it let's buy Trend Micro for it as a percaution. I heard you can also get them through MSg/Servers for Online games and all it really does is makes it so that your conection to every online game(of that game I mean) goes hay wire till you turn off the system IDK if that's true though

Message 47 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Mar 13, 2012

No, the Trend Micro Internet Security option is not an antivirus package. It simply provides parental controls and anti-scam filters to the PS3 web browser.

Change your password, and make sure you don't use the same password across all of your online accounts.

Message 48 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 13, 2012

MrJenkins6390 said:

PS3 is virus free, just like macs and linux systems. only windows is able to get vruses, so don't worry about it. now in all systems, it is possible to find "loopholes" in the software and with such loopholes, the finder of them could manipulate a system, but it is less likely to happen than a virus is. so far sony has been pretty good at keeping the ps3 free of exploits, but they do happen from time to time. for example, you might have noticed a few threads recently talking about the ps3 getting hacked. well big deal. it happens to all systems, and the exploit will be fixed. but one thing i should point out is that even sony is guilty of exploiting people's computers. just  do some reasearch on the 2005, 2006 issue where sony was using software on music cds they made and sold that was infecting peoples computers and causing some peoples computers to lock up, not to mention illegally spying on them. sony was sued and settled for $millions$ in damages.

Photobucket

im sorry to say but that isnt true... anything can get hacked and that is what a virus does is it attaches itself to a file and hacks your system to disrupt it and steal info... any device that has a harddrive can get a virus... its just sony made it a little dificult for hackers to make viruses for the ps3... and macs definitely are virus free... i had several macs (new models) get trojans and all sorts of spyware... never used a linux so i can comment on those

Message 49 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Mar 13, 2012

so far theres no viruses that a ps3 can get,its nearly impossible until someone has access to all of the os the ps3 uses and that has never happened,viruses are unlikely on a mac but it can happen no doubt and as far as Linux goes there is viruses but they can't never really do anything unless you always use your system as root..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 50 of 57 (365 Views)
0 Likes