Last Guardian
12787 posts

Re: How easily can the PS3 get a virus?

Jan 27, 2010

Mopthefloo wrote:

i want to download stuff from the browser since the PlayStation Store is limited. but i want to be sure that if i go to a bug infested site (accidently) my PS3 will remain unharmed.

Don't you have a PC?

Message 11 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2890 posts

Jan 27, 2010

choochie49 wrote:

Mopthefloo wrote:

i want to download stuff from the browser since the PlayStation Store is limited. but i want to be sure that if i go to a bug infested site (accidently) my PS3 will remain unharmed.

Don't you have a PC?

yes, but my PS3 works much better than my computer
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Message 12 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5047 posts

Jan 27, 2010

Mopthefloo wrote:

choochie49 wrote:

Don't you have a PC?

yes, but my PS3 works much better than my computer

OMG!

No offense but, if your ps3 is better than your computer then I would suggest saving up and gettin a new computer. I got my last one for $300.00 at Office Max. Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit-3GB Ram-320GB HD. Does the job quite nicely for the price.

Message Edited by DaletonaDave on 01-27-2010 07:24 AM
Message 13 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3613 posts

Jan 27, 2010
the ps3 is going to be virus prone soon. the kid that hacked the iphone just announced he hacked the ps3 last week. and the hack/exploit is, something sony can't patch. so were going to be screwed if he lets out, the information on how to do it.
Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 Smiley Tongue
Message 14 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1598 posts

Jan 27, 2010
If mr. hotz releases his info it wont take long untill a ps3 virus is devoloped. lets hope he keeps to himself (yeah right).
I hope my next leap will be the leap home!
Message 15 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8540 posts

Jan 27, 2010
go back to page one and read what rayvolution wrote. that "hacker" dude and his exploit are no closer to a ps3 virus. they would have to figure a way to get you to download their own firmware first.
Photobucket
Message 16 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Jan 27, 2010

My ps3 was infected yesterday with the Tekken6 virus....

Message 17 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
VxF
Uncharted Territory
1891 posts

Jan 27, 2010

MrJenkins6390 wrote:

Mopthefloo wrote:

PS3 is virus free, just like macs and linux systems. only windows is able to get vruses, so don't worry about it. now in all systems, it is possible to find "loopholes" in the software and with such loopholes, the finder of them could manipulate a system, but it is less likely to happen than a virus is. so far sony has been pretty good at keeping the ps3 free of exploits, but they do happen from time to time. for example, you might have noticed a few threads recently talking about the ps3 getting hacked. well big deal. it happens to all systems, and the exploit will be fixed. but one thing i should point out is that even sony is guilty of exploiting people's computers. just  do some reasearch on the 2005, 2006 issue where sony was using software on music cds they made and sold that was infecting peoples computers and causing some peoples computers to lock up, not to mention illegally spying on them. sony was sued and settled for $millions$ in damages.

I beg to differ - while there is less of a threat than under a Windows-based system, there are still plenty of viruses for MACs.

And, in general, with all these kids setting their home networks as DMZs just to get NAT1, this is a disaster waiting to happen. There just aren't enough PS3s around - compared to, say, PCs - justify intensive hacking. If sales pick up, so will threats.  

Photobucket
Message 18 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2306 posts

Jan 27, 2010

VxF wrote:

MrJenkins6390 wrote:

Mopthefloo wrote:

PS3 is virus free, just like macs and linux systems. only windows is able to get vruses, so don't worry about it. now in all systems, it is possible to find "loopholes" in the software and with such loopholes, the finder of them could manipulate a system, but it is less likely to happen than a virus is. so far sony has been pretty good at keeping the ps3 free of exploits, but they do happen from time to time. for example, you might have noticed a few threads recently talking about the ps3 getting hacked. well big deal. it happens to all systems, and the exploit will be fixed. but one thing i should point out is that even sony is guilty of exploiting people's computers. just  do some reasearch on the 2005, 2006 issue where sony was using software on music cds they made and sold that was infecting peoples computers and causing some peoples computers to lock up, not to mention illegally spying on them. sony was sued and settled for $millions$ in damages.

I beg to differ - while there is less of a threat than under a Windows-based system, there are still plenty of viruses for MACs.

And, in general, with all these kids setting their home networks as DMZs just to get NAT1, this is a disaster waiting to happen. There just aren't enough PS3s around - compared to, say, PCs - justify intensive hacking. If sales pick up, so will threats.  

i wasn't aware that macs could get viruses. i just go by what people that use macs boast about it. i would never own such an overpriced, proprietary piece of equipment. not to metion hard to upgrade. all in all, i doubt viruses getting into the ps3 will ever be of great concern. and if they do, then a new market will probably emerge for antivirus software designed for the ps3.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Jan 27, 2010

VxF wrote:

Setting their home networks to DMZ or setting their PS3 to the DMZ?

And what disaster will come of this if the ps3 is set to the DMZ?

Not flamming or arguing with you, just would like to hear your thoughts on this and to explain whats in pink.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 20 of 57 (567 Views)
0 Likes