Apr 01 2011
By: araos1 Lombax Warrior 196 posts

How do you all feel about your PSPs?

35 replies 31 views Edited Apr 1, 2011

I ask this question because I am thinking of getting one.  I have a PS2 and recently purchased a PS3 and I am enjoying it.  But how is the PSP in all it's variations as a gaming platform alone?  I am aware that some content I've purchased from the Playstation Store can be played on either.  But I am largely looking at the PSP games themselves.  I mostly lean torward RPGs and sometimes RTS or story based adventures.  There's it's portable nature to consider of course, and it can be hooked up to a TV which is a major plus in my book.  I'm interested in how the games are for it.  And if people are happy with their own before I go and buy one.

Message 1 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Re: How do you all feel about your PSPs?

Apr 1, 2011

First off, I suggest you get a 3000. Some games are UMD exclusives and will never be out for the Go.

And second, take a list of PSP games you are interested in, then take a look at Youtube videos of the said game. Personally, I don't like professional review sites, including Metacritic, because they do not represent individual persons.

As a gaming device, the PSP can definitely hold up on it's own. I'm pretty happy with it. Games that I play on it is Metal Slug Anthology, DJMAX Portable (series) and HOARD. Battery life is alright, though if you are using the UMD drive, be sure to charge it everytime you get home.

P.S: If you can, hold out for the NGP. It's coming the end of this year.

Message 2 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Apr 1, 2011

The 3000 is what I've been looking at the most.  The Go model seems limited and the guy I know over at GameStop said they haven't done very well.  They don't even stock them anymore.  Having access to UMDs is a plus in my final decision.  Not so sure on the NGP just yet.  It would depend largely on the features it offers and if I'd take advantage of them.  Not a fan of touch screens for example.  But if newer games aren't going to be made for the 3000 and will be for the NGP, that is something I must consider as well.  Just not enough info on the NGP yet.

I didn't think about youtube.  That's an interesting idea.  You mentioned the battery life being alright....could you not play it while it's plugged in?  Like with a wall adapter?

Message 3 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
511 posts

Apr 1, 2011

I have a psp 1000 and I am still finding great new games.  For example, I used to love  the pokemon games, and the other day I found "Jewel Summoner". Which is basically an awesome verson of pokemon for psp

I also recently bought Valkyria Chronicles 2. Such a great game!    

I agree though, if you are going to buy one, get the 3000 instead of the GO. Or since you have waited this long, wait for the NGP. Then Either buy the NGP or wait for the 3000 to drop in price again.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
989 posts

Apr 1, 2011

lol at the hippies still clinging onto their UMDs.  Dude NGP comes out for the holidays and you CANT use the UMDs. Get a Go! Much more convinient and every game worth getting already IS on ps store(except Crisis Core). I have 20 games on mine and could'nt be happier. It also weights less, looks better and fits into ANY pocket even if you use those anti-erection skinny jeans.

Anyhow I am extremelly happy with my Go and new games will all release on ps store as well. Only company that was against it was Disney and they recentlly gave ps store like 7 Disney games. Buy a 3000 and you wont be able to use the games you learn to love on the NGP.

Note: altho I love my Go the 3000 is on a zomg sale for $130 but keep in mind retail games cost more + tax and if you want a better mem stick you NEED to buy a mem stick as well.

I'm no troll, I just dont like you.
Message 5 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Apr 2, 2011

I recently purchased a Go and I couldn't be happier. There are arguments for purchasing both the 3000 and the Go, each with their own pros and cons. For me, I like not having to carry around UMDs and not worrying about losing them or damaging them. Also, and this is very important, all the games that I wanted were on the PS store. This is a vital piece of info. You must check out the PS store and look at all the games available to make sure that they have what you want. If there is a game, like Birth by Sleep, that is a must own for you then your only option is to get the 3000 cause it is not on the store.

Do your research. Do your research. Do your research. Yeah, I typed that three times because it's that important.

Message 6 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
161 posts

Apr 2, 2011

araos1 wrote:

The 3000 is what I've been looking at the most.  The Go model seems limited and the guy I know over at GameStop said they haven't done very well.  They don't even stock them anymore.  Having access to UMDs is a plus in my final decision.  Not so sure on the NGP just yet.  It would depend largely on the features it offers and if I'd take advantage of them.  Not a fan of touch screens for example.  But if newer games aren't going to be made for the 3000 and will be for the NGP, that is something I must consider as well.  Just not enough info on the NGP yet.

I didn't think about youtube.  That's an interesting idea.  You mentioned the battery life being alright....could you not play it while it's plugged in?  Like with a wall adapter?

What was his basis for saying they haven't done very well? It seems like a personal opinion rather than someone making an informed statement. Well here's my opinion, the Go is a pretty awesome little piece of hardware. The Go was not a hit mostly because it does not allow you to copy UMD games to it's memory. It is not an upgrade from the 3000 and most 3000 owners and older wanted it to be one.

The features of the NGP are mostly known. Check out previews on sites like ign and other news worthy web pages.

I would venture a guess that once the NGP is released most developers will concentrate on making games solely for the NGP. That's where the market will be and UMDs will probably go the way of the Do-do.

Message 7 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
196 posts

Apr 2, 2011

I was curious as to why the guy at Gamestop said that as well.  Apparently customer response to the Go was not what it needed to be to keep it in their store.  I have more than one store in my area and neither carry it or will carry it again.  Their online store has it but nothing local.  People such as myself, still want physical media for what they can get with it.  Some want the ability to do both....to have a physical like the UMD and the ability to download games as well.

As for what I know of the NGP, it is based off what I've read in Game Informer and Chronicle on this site.  That's still not enough info for me.  So I'll check out some other places.  All things considered I'm most likely going to go for a 3000 model for now and wait for the NGP is out for a bit before I decide if I want one.  I'd want to see what will be available for it before I rush to get one.  I already know a few PSP titles I want.  The 3rd Birthday and Tactics Orge to name a couple off the top of my head.

Message 8 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
369 posts

Apr 2, 2011

I have had a PSP 3000 for about to 2 years, and it's an alright system. For $100.00, it's a good by. It has plenty of good games out for it. I suggest getting MGS: Peace Walker if your looking for a really good shooter game, or get a Midnight Club game if your looking for an awesome racing game

Message 9 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
365 posts

Apr 2, 2011

araos1 wrote:

I ask this question because I am thinking of getting one.  I have a PS2 and recently purchased a PS3 and I am enjoying it.  But how is the PSP in all it's variations as a gaming platform alone?  I am aware that some content I've purchased from the Playstation Store can be played on either.  But I am largely looking at the PSP games themselves.  I mostly lean torward RPGs and sometimes RTS or story based adventures.  There's it's portable nature to consider of course, and it can be hooked up to a TV which is a major plus in my book.  I'm interested in how the games are for it.  And if people are happy with their own before I go and buy one.

It was an awesome piece of kit a year or two ago, not so much anymore but it does have a great back catalogue of games to sift through. Hooking it up to a TV isn't that great, doesn't run full screen if i remeber correctly and it kinda looks like the b*stard child of the PS2. Actually, its not THAT bad, I think i've just been spoilt by what this generation of consoles has treated us to.

If you can get one real cheap and you travel a lot you will get some great use out of it, it was my lifeline on many flights over past few years...invest in a spare battery as it lasts 5-6 hours max. As for using it when you are around the house when you have the PS3 there, don't count on it. It gets old really fast.

Just my opinion of course but try before you buy if you can.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Looking forwards to a PS3 price cut...what makes you think anyone who owns a PS3 really cares? If the price of the PS3 really bothered those of us who own a PS3, then we would have an XBOX.
Message 10 of 36 (31 Views)
0 Likes