Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Re: how to sync ps3 controller

Jan 4, 2009

For completeness sake..

The restore worked.. But it brought back the issue that my DS3s will no longer stay paired up after a restart..  So all this for nothing.. So I know now that there is NOTHING wrong with my PS3 or my DS3s.. It's a software thing that I can not fix without loosing everything..

As an added bonus.. Trophies do not just sync up after a restore like Sony claims.. I tried to sync after the restore and nothing.. I put in a game that I had trophies and it created a trophy section for that game. Then when I synced, that ONE game restored.. This means that I have to start up every single game that I had trophies before I sync back up.. Then have all the other 4 people on that PS3 do the same.. Another r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d thing to have to do.

Message Edited by JohnRKlein on 01-04-2009 06:07 AM
Message 21 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 5, 2009

I've got the exact same issue, as you do John,  but the LAN is also not working on my PS3. 

I have a 60GB PS3 with the 2.53 firmware and 2 brand new DS3 controllers (which I fully charged) purchased from BestBuy last month.  Either one of the DS3 controllers can start the PS3 when I press the PS button, but after that I get the 4 fast-blinking lights on the controller that started the PS3 and it gets un-paired.  After about a minute the 4 fast-blinking lights turn off and stay off.  Hitting the PS button to try to re-sync gets me the 4 fast-flashing lights for another minute after which they go dead again.  On the very rare occassion, one of the controllers actually does sync to #1.  If I try to sync the other controller then it usually fails after the 4 fast-blinking lights for 1 minute.  I usually have to pair it using the USB cable.

Regardless of how I boot the system, I get a msg to "Press the PS button" followed by an 80010201 error msg (ethernet cable not plugged in).

Using the USB cable, I am able to sometimes sync the DS3 controller immediately, and sometimes not.  If I can't I usually try the reset button on the DS3 then re-plug it into the USB cable and try the PS button again.  Usually this works.  Unfortunately, as soon as I disconnect the DS3 from the USB cable it does the 4 fast-blinking for a whole minute and stops working.

I am highly convinced that this is a software, and not a hardware issue.  I suspect that it is a bug introduced with one the later firmwares, and 2.53 certainly does not resolve the issue.  I think Sony knows about this issue, but is not doing anything about it for the "older" PS3 models.  I suspect there is no issue with the new 80G and 160G models as I believe they have a new style of antenna for the Bluetooth connectivity.

As far as my LAN issue goes, I suspect it is related to the controllers not initializing properly (because the green light on the NIC card does not even light up).  I think there is a boot up sequence and if the controllers are not found, then the routine that initializes the LAN driver, times out, consequently stopping the NIC card from working.

I was able to get the LAN working for a short period of time, at some point during one of the many PS3 system restores that I did, and it worked beautifully...which is why I think this is a software/firmware issue.  I believe I somehow got the DS3 to sync properly on boot up (I think it was connected via USB cable at the time). 

Unfortunately, I actually turned off the PS3 in order to move it to another location in the room, and restarting it made me lose the LAN connection and both the controller pairings.

I am seriously thinking of spending the $190 CAD to get my unit serviced.

I completely agree that we are not alone with this issue.  Best of luck.  Hopefully Sony or some other techie can figure this one out...

Message 22 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 5, 2009

btw, I forgot to mention that I've now returned 2 brand new DS3 controllers back to BestBuy, and now have 2 newer controllers that are behaving the same way.  That make a total of 4 DS3 controllers that are not syncing up, which is why I think it's a software/firmware issue.

cheers,

ep7 

Message 23 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 29, 2009

Was there ever a resolution to this issue?

I have pretty much the same issue....all of a sudden.

Except, I didn't purchase any new controllers, it's the same controllers I've always had.

The are the Sixaxis controllers.  I can get one controller to sync, but ONLY if it's plugged into the USB cord.  Once I unplug the cord, I lose connection.

I've not had any problems previously, untill now.  I just did a system update a week or two ago...system update dated roughly 9/20/09.

Is this an issue that is due to the "new" cheaper models of PS3's that were released?

Anyone?

This is terrible.

Message 24 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Oct 1, 2009

it works but its a little different

i hook it up to the usb cable. press the reset button, turn it back on again. release it from the cable

Message 25 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Nov 19, 2009

I was having this problem as well with the controller flashing then turning off and never connecting to the PS3. I tried hooking it up to the USB cable and hitting the center PS button and it would show its working but as soon as i disconnect it, it would turn off or blink the lights and then turn off. 

I fixed it.....

First, get a paper clip. Hook your controller up to the USB cable. Hit the PS button in the center. When it lights up the controller number, go ahead and take your paper clip and push the reset button on the back of the controller while its plugged into the usb cable. Then hit the center button. When it lights up the controller number again, hold the PS button down til it prompts you to power the controller down. Power it down, then disconnect it from the usb cable  and hit the PS button one more time and it should sync up to your PS3 wirelessly again. Hopefully this fixes your problem. Later

Message 26 of 51 (4,222 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 10, 2009

I just recently started having this issue on my new PS3 Slim 120gb.  What started it was this;  I was playing Battlefield while visiting my folks in Arizona.  My dad had a problem with an electrical outlet in his house, and started hitting circuit breakers, eventually hitting the one my PS3 was on.  Upon getting powered back up (and waiting for him to finish) I noticed that my controller would not power up the PS3 anymore, so I manually turned it back on.  At this time I tried powering up both of my DS3 controllers, the one the system came with, and a new blue one I bought in AZ because my brother forgot to bring one.  Both controllers would turn on and flash the four lights until they timed out and powered down.  I could get them to sync by plugging them into the USB cable, but they would loose connection as soon as the cable was dis-connected.  I was able to get them paired by powering off the PS3, then un-plugging it from the PS3 Side, and the plugging it back in.  I would then power the ps3 on with the front push button, and then connect the controller via USB, upon disconnecting it all would be well, at least  before I powered off the PS3 that is.  Here is the funny part, I could turn on the PS3 with either controller, disconnected from any cables, but the controller would then go to four flashing before the timeout power down, until I repeated the un-plug the PS3 fix.  I then read this post and found out that the controllers had a reset button (I did not know that was there).  I have now fixed the problem following these steps.

1) Power up both controllers with the PS3 on, then reset both controllers with their reset switches, and left them off.

2) Powered down the PS3.

3) Unpluged the PS3 from the back of the PS3, then plugged it back in, leaving the PS3 OFF.

4) Connected BOTH controllers using two USB cables.

5) Powered on the PS3, using the front power switch.

6) Powered up both controllers using their PS buttons.

7) Disconnected both USB cables.

Now I can both power up the PS3, and synch without a USB cable, even after powering off, and back on,  the light switch that controls the outlet my PS3 is connected to.

Hope this helps, and I am wondering if you all had this issue after a power outage or something, as that is what caused my issue.

Message Edited by Guidion on 12-09-2009 08:42 PM
Message 27 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
30 posts

Dec 10, 2009

im sure it wont apply to everyone, but if you have bought your controllers of ebay they may be fake.

Of course pretty much everyone can spot a fake but i heard that some recent dual shock 3 ones are extremely hard to spot as a fake, even so that some people have had fakes that work fine and been none the wiser.

Just suggesting that it may be a possibility. Fakes can often have connection issues as although they may be an immaculate copy to the eye, the software and eletronics inside them can be very unreliable.

Message 28 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 18, 2009

hellsbutcher wrote:

I was having this problem as well with the controller flashing then turning off and never connecting to the PS3. I tried hooking it up to the USB cable and hitting the center PS button and it would show its working but as soon as i disconnect it, it would turn off or blink the lights and then turn off. 

I fixed it.....

First, get a paper clip. Hook your controller up to the USB cable. Hit the PS button in the center. When it lights up the controller number, go ahead and take your paper clip and push the reset button on the back of the controller while its plugged into the usb cable. Then hit the center button. When it lights up the controller number again, hold the PS button down til it prompts you to power the controller down. Power it down, then disconnect it from the usb cable  and hit the PS button one more time and it should sync up to your PS3 wirelessly again. Hopefully this fixes your problem. Later

FYI - I was just scanning posts for this very issue. This solution proved successful for me as well.

Thanks for posting this!

Message 29 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 17, 2010

I knew u had to use the USB to reconnect it and push the ps button but it wont work for me, is that because it went from a fat ps3 to a slim idk why its not working?? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!

Message 30 of 51 (4,222 Views)
0 Likes