Plug the controller up with the USB cord to the PS3
Peetsuh
Message 11 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Re: how to sync ps3 controller

Oct 22, 2008
well that doesnt seem to be the case for me. i plpug it in, press the ps button, unplug it. it flashes four red dots for a few secs, then is connected. the next time i need to turn on the controller, i have to plug it back into the usb cable because i will just keep flashing four red dots it i do not plug it in again. i cant be alone here. if i am that is ridiculous
rook, rook, what a little rook.
go read a book
rooky rook rook
Message 12 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1994 posts

Oct 22, 2008

the_rook wrote:
well that doesnt seem to be the case for me. i plpug it in, press the ps button, unplug it. it flashes four red dots for a few secs, then is connected. the next time i need to turn on the controller, i have to plug it back into the usb cable because i will just keep flashing four red dots it i do not plug it in again. i cant be alone here. if i am that is ridiculous

Get a pencil or something, and on the back of the controller there's a reset button.

Press it with the pencil or pen or paper clip or whatever you have.

Then plug the controller in with the usb cable and prs the PS button.

Message 13 of 51 (17,239 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Dec 31, 2008

This guy isn't the only one having the same issue..

I've gotten 2 DS3s.. And had the same issue.. (One used and one new)

I plugged it in the USB and pressed PS button... It connected.. I unplugged the usb and pressed the PS again.. It connected and I played for a while.. Shut down the system and have to go through the entire sync process again when I turn it back on.

I'm not sure how I eventually got it working.. But these are the steps I did to finally get it working..

1. Unplug ALL USB devices.

2. Turn off the PS3 from the back switch.. Not the  touch sensitive button.

3. Turn on the PS3.

4. Plug the DS3 into the USB port and press PS button.

5. Unplug it and press the PS button again to sync up.

6. Go into the PS3 menu options and reassign the DS3 to controller 2.

Now the DS3 will sync up after a power cycle..

I'm not sure which step actually fixes the issue.. Hard power cycle.. No USB devices.. Forcing the DS3 to a different assignment.. But what ever it was, it fixed the issue.

Edit:

Maybe there should be a step "2.1".. Do like the person said above and reset the controller with pencil or what not.. I didn't do that, but it can't hurt...

Message Edited by JohnRKlein on 12-31-2008 02:12 PM
Message 14 of 51 (17,239 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Jan 3, 2009

Ignore everything I just said above.. It still didn't fix it..

I have 4 controllers.. My SixaxiS controllers work perfect.. My two DS3s that I got recently will not stayed paired to the PS3 after a power down like the OP..

Just to be clear, once I pair the two DS3s, I can turn on/off the controller as many times as I want without issue.. It stays paired to my PS3 and syncs up without any issue.. Once I turn off my PS3, it's like I never paired those two controllers and I have to use my USB cable again..

And I have tried the reset buttons on the controllers in every combination I could think off..

ANYONE with any ideas? Google tells me we are not alone with this problem.

Message 15 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1113 posts

Jan 3, 2009

JohnRKlein wrote:

Ignore everything I just said above.. It still didn't fix it..

I have 4 controllers.. My SixaxiS controllers work perfect.. My two DS3s that I got recently will not stayed paired to the PS3 after a power down like the OP..

Just to be clear, once I pair the two DS3s, I can turn on/off the controller as many times as I want without issue.. It stays paired to my PS3 and syncs up without any issue.. Once I turn off my PS3, it's like I never paired those two controllers and I have to use my USB cable again..

And I have tried the reset buttons on the controllers in every combination I could think off..

ANYONE with any ideas? Google tells me we are not alone with this problem.

Are you guys leaving it in standby, or turning it off from the back?  I leave mine in standby and have no problems with my DS3...  I have a 60GB, what you guys have?
First platinum March 16, 2010 at 00:15

Message 16 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2744 posts

Jan 3, 2009
connect it to ps3 and press PS button
Hip Hop Fan Pictures, Images and Photos

Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/QWERTY_MASTAA
Message 17 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Jan 3, 2009

No offense, but everyone that comes in here and just spams "plug it into usb and press PS" after the first few that already posted it is a idiot... Try reading the thread a little before posting and you will see that that has been said many times and that we HAVE done that and then some.. It reminds me of Rain Man where the guy keeps repeating himself..

Delta_38: 

I always use standby when I shut down normally.. I only use the back switch when the PS3 is acting up, like this controller issue. I have a 60gig.. But google tells me all models are experiencing this issue.. I've seen 60gig, 80gig, and 40gig models having the problem in the google responses..

It seems that some PS3s can no longer modifiy it's list of paired controllers or something.. I can reset my original Sixaxis controllers and they will pair up with no problem.. I have tried 3 different DS3s now and they all have the same issue.. Again, it's like the PS3s internal list of valid controllers will not save to survive a restart.. I may borrow my buddies Sixaxis to see if it shows the same issue...

Message Edited by JohnRKlein on 01-02-2009 07:45 PM
Message 18 of 51 (17,239 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1113 posts

Jan 3, 2009

JohnRKlein wrote:

No offense, but everyone that comes in here and just spams "plug it into usb and press PS" after the first few that already posted it is a idiot... Try reading the thread a little before posting and you will see that that has been said many times and that we HAVE done that and then some.. It reminds me of Rain Man where the guy keeps repeating himself..

Delta_38: 

I always use standby when I shut down normally.. I only use the back switch when the PS3 is acting up, like this controller issue. I have a 60gig.. But google tells me all models are experiencing this issue.. I've seen 60gig, 80gig, and 40gig models having the problem in the google responses..

It seems that some PS3s can no longer modifiy it's list of paired controllers or something.. I can reset my original Sixaxis controllers and they will pair up with no problem.. I have tried 3 different DS3s now and they all have the same issue.. Again, it's like the PS3s internal list of valid controllers will not save to survive a restart.. I may borrow my buddies Sixaxis to see if it shows the same issue...

Message Edited by JohnRKlein on 01-02-2009 07:45 PM

So did you try it?  I don't know, I can't think of anything that could be it.  What you said makes sense, there may have been a bad batch of PS3's. 
First platinum March 16, 2010 at 00:15

Message 19 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
267 posts

Jan 4, 2009

No, I hadn't been able to contact him yet.. We have ice storms atm, so I didn't think I'd be able to do it for a while.. So I began to experiment..  I did a system backup and started doing things that scares me.

1. First I tried just resetting the system settings only.. It was nice to see that my user info was still there.. But... That didn't fix it..

2. Second I tried formatting the HDD. Again, it was nice to see that my user info was still there.. But... That didn't fix it either..

3. So then I tried using the Reset system to default... I thought this was the same as doing the first two options, but I seem to be wrong. First thing I noticed was my user info was gone which has me in a panic.. But.. The DS3s seems to now stay paired between restarting the PS3..

But now I'm scared.. We have 5 different people that use this PS3 and all those accounts are gone.. I'm currently doing the system restore.. I'm praying that the restore works and automaticially brings back the user info also.. And if it does, I hope it doesn't bring back the bug that causes the DS3s to not stay paired...

This is r-e-t-a-r-d-e-d that I have to go through all this just to get a couple controllers to pair up...

Message 20 of 51 (17,239 Views)
0 Likes