Feb 23 2014
By: c3RAMburger Lombax Warrior 145 posts

How difficult is it to allow multi-regional PSN releases?

[ Edited ]
7 replies 204 views Edited Feb 23, 2014

Back in 2012 a little game called Silent Hill 4: The Room was released on the Japanese PSN.  There is apparently Youtube video proof that the game can be played (in English) on any PS3-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB11reZnpgg

So what's holding back Sony/Konami from expanding availability to different regions?  It's not like any legal argument could be made since all the Silent Hill games have already been released in the U.S., and after the disaster that was the HD Collection, every fan of the games are vocally adament about PS2 Classics releases being the best thing that could happen, aside from buying another PS2 to play them.  Win/win as Sony Konami get more -basically free- revenue from a re-release and fans get the best versions of more classic games to own right on their hard drives (not merely stream on the Now-Cloud). 

The other thing is, why only release it (The Room) in Japan when they apparently didn't even like the game-

http://www.gamesradar.com/official-silent-hill-4-a-pain-in-the-**bleep**/

Case in point, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason as to why these games, or at least 4, isn't available across all PSN regions considering other less popular (and far less classic) games have already been released. 

Edit: Changed label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 8 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
78 posts

Re: How difficult is it to allow multi-regional PSN releases?

Feb 23, 2014

I'm fairly certain that SH 4 wasn't even supposed to be a SH title originally. It certainly didn't play like one when I played it. So maybe it NOT being re-released on the PS Store across all regions was a good thing.

If anything, there's one thing Sony could've done to make it so we could still play our old games. That being actually keeping the full BC in all PS3 models. Actually I read somewhere that Sony even got approved for a patent on an add-on for the PS3 that has the PS2 chips in it that would make ANY PS3 backwards compatible. Why they've never released it IF it exists is beyond me as there are some of us who hate hooking up our old PS2's just to play the old games.

Message 2 of 8 (190 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Feb 23, 2014

c3RAMburger wrote:

Back in 2012 a little game called Silent Hill 4: The Room was released on the Japanese PSN.  There is apparently Youtube video proof that the game can be played (in English) on any PS3-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB11reZnpgg

So what's holding back Sony/Konami from expanding availability to different regions?  It's not like any legal argument could be made since all the Silent Hill games have already been released in the U.S., and after the disaster that was the HD Collection, every fan of the games are vocally adament about PS2 Classics releases being the best thing that could happen, aside from buying another PS2 to play them.  Win/win as Sony Konami get more -basically free- revenue from a re-release and fans get the best versions of more classic games to own right on their hard drives (not merely stream on the Now-Cloud). 

The other thing is, why only release it (The Room) in Japan when they apparently didn't even like the game-

http://www.gamesradar.com/official-silent-hill-4-a-pain-in-the-**bleep**/

Case in point, there doesn't seem to be any logical reason as to why these games, or at least 4, isn't available across all PSN regions considering other less popular (and far less classic) games have already been released. 

Edit: Changed label. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

You've pretty much answered your own question. A lot of times it comes down to money. The expense of releasing a game in the U.S. or other territories, may not be worth it because there won't be a very good return on it. After what you described as "disasterous", it makes it less likely that there will be another release. As for what you describe as a "win-win", at traditionally $9.99 for a PS2 classic download, they're already looking at a very limited profit margin, as opposed to a higher margin on a NEW game. A higer profit margin on a more expensive item, means you're going to make more money. 

This is not exactly new. This type of thing has been going on for years, especially with music and movies. I've had to go through multiple channels at times back in the 90's to acquire music CD's from Europe and Japan that weren't available in the US, and I often still do. And just be glad we've moved from VHS to digital formats, because you would have to bring a European PAL formatted tape to be converted to NTCS to even get it to work.

Since the PS3 is region free, you can create a Japanese account and buy the game that way. You'll have to pay in Yen, so it will be more expensive. You can also find a disc versions from online retailers.

Message 3 of 8 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6100 posts

Feb 23, 2014

im still waiting on a gundam game in america that doesnt suck. they released a BAD one on ps3 years ago and didnt sell. then they did the 3 dynasty warrior games. they werent really gundam games more like dynasty warriors with guns.

there is a large gundam fanbase in the US craving a gundam game but they just come out in japan. US gundam fanbase rivals japanese gundam fanbase in terms of size but who cares. not namco-bandai apparently.

photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 4 of 8 (185 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Feb 24, 2014

I actually did just create a Japanese account and got a PSN card from playasia.com.  Downloading the game now.  I figure simply switching my PS3 user ID beats buying my third PS2 and the actual disc-based game that still goes for over $40 used, let alone new.  

I even talked to chat support requesting a U.S. release on PSN and got a very typical, "we'll pass that along" reply.  When I asked them how difficult it would be to just download it from the Japanese PSN they said it would be "very hard" due to the need for Yen currency.  

It turned out to be less of a hassle than getting the PC version to run well. 

Message 5 of 8 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
499 posts

Feb 24, 2014

Just because something is in English and released in one PSN region doesn't mean it's legal to sell in any region they want to.

However you already figured out how to get it, so this is all a moot point.

=First in the world to 100% Fat Princess=

Message 6 of 8 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 24, 2014

Well after playing a few minutes, I ended up deleting it.  I must've gotten spoiled by how much better the PC version looked. Going to find my old DS2 config and reinstall it.  Hell even the original Silent Hill looks better on a big screen.  

Was worth a try at least, but the HD display transition hasn't been kind to that game, even considering its grain effect in visual design.

Message 7 of 8 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
VP of Gaming
29189 posts

Feb 24, 2014

c3RAMburger wrote:

I actually did just create a Japanese account and got a PSN card from playasia.com.  Downloading the game now.  I figure simply switching my PS3 user ID beats buying my third PS2 and the actual disc-based game that still goes for over $40 used, let alone new.  

I even talked to chat support requesting a U.S. release on PSN and got a very typical, "we'll pass that along" reply.  When I asked them how difficult it would be to just download it from the Japanese PSN they said it would be "very hard" due to the need for Yen currency.  

It turned out to be less of a hassle than getting the PC version to run well. 

Honestly, what did you expect them to say? Telephone support are only there to offer just that, support. Not to make decisions on whether to release certain games. This falls under the category of "Hey man, I just work here".

Message 8 of 8 (132 Views)
0 Likes