Mar 17 2013
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14623 posts

How could the PS4 touch pad be used? *Your ideas*

[ Edited ]
27 replies 1473 views Edited Mar 17, 2013

Hey fellow forumites, I just wanted to ask what YOU think the touch pad on the face of the PS4 controller can/should be used for both in and out of games. I may try to compile them in this post too!

My idea- Use it as a community input. You get a message and you can swipe (or click if that rumor is true), to instantly bring it up. This would be instead of going through the entire menu to sheck and reply to the message. This can apply to any community message that comes up.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 28 (1,473 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6439 posts

Re: How could the PS4 touch pad be used? *Your ideas*

Mar 17, 2013

Quick time events

Check out my PlayStation dedicated blog, PlayStation Persuasion! playstationpersuasion.tumblr.com

PSN: ScreamAimFire999
Message 2 of 28 (1,466 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11752 posts

Mar 17, 2013

Honestly, I've been wondering about the Vita-like touchpad for the DualShock 4 controller myself. Quick-time events seems like a possibility. Maybe it'll be used as a drawing tool? Does having to remove your hand from around the controller to swipe the touchpad sound appealing, though? Hopefully whatever it is developers do with the touchpad, they don't end up tampering with what could be a solid experience without.

Message 3 of 28 (1,459 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
11148 posts

Mar 17, 2013

I imagine the start and select buttons will be mapped to it for streaming PS3-PS2-PS1 games, but beyond that, probably QTEs and the like.  It will probably function a lot like the wheel on a mouse:  Changing weapons/weapon modes, Zooming in/out, etc.  It's not large enough to be used for much more than that.  It is certainly not large enough to be used as a drawing tablet for more than tiny details.

Message 4 of 28 (1,451 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
263 posts

Mar 17, 2013
I think it'll be a pinch&zoom type thing.
Message 5 of 28 (1,449 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
336 posts

Mar 17, 2013

uptownsoul wrote:
I think it'll be a pinch&zoom type thing.

that's a good idea

I think it will used for menus on the PS Store where you just move through pages while swiping the touchpad

Message 6 of 28 (1,436 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Mar 17, 2013

It could be used for menus. lol

Message 7 of 28 (1,431 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8193 posts

Mar 17, 2013
Sniping.

Back in my PC gaming days (2004) I use my mouse for large movements, then switch to my trackpad for gentle accuracy.
Message 8 of 28 (1,429 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Mar 17, 2013

It can make use of in-game puzzles, zoom, aim, or maybe a an event screen for upcoming news or if a friend gets online...

Message 9 of 28 (1,424 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2142 posts

Mar 17, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Hey fellow forumites, I just wanted to ask what YOU think the touch pad on the face of the PS4 controller can/should be used for both in and out of games. I may try to compile them in this post too!

My idea- Use it as a community input. You get a message and you can swipe (or click if that rumor is true), to instantly bring it up. This would be instead of going through the entire menu to sheck and reply to the message. This can apply to any community message that comes up.

Well I don't what they could use it for, and still be practical in any way.  Drawing "no", Sniping "no", navigation "maybe".  Its just the touch pad is SO SMALL, smaller than a laptop touchpad "Which I can't stand".  They IMO are useless to use.  Now you are taking your fingers off the buttons to use this feature.  As long as it is not REQUIRED to use in intense gaming then I'm OK.  I just don't like a touchpad at all, would of better if they just made a LCD that size and used that.  At least you would have something else it could be used for.  Touchpads just don't have enough room on them to be really effective.

I think they took the wrong approach in the Touchpad for the DS4, but will have to wait and see.  If I would have to use it for something I would say maybe "Weapon Cycle" that is about the best thing it could be used for.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 10 of 28 (1,411 Views)
0 Likes