Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 15 2012
By: Kai-lash167 First Son 1 posts

How can I get my ps3 to connect using NAT Type 1?

6 replies 616 views Edited Dec 15, 2012

I have a D-Link ADSL Router (DSL-2750U) 

I am not very clued up about what the difference is between a router and a modem is. I understand that I need a modem connected directly to my ps3 with an Ethernet cable to establish a NAT type 1 connection. 

I would just like to know if a NAT type 1 connection is possible through my router or would I have to get a modem to connect my ps3 directly to the internet. If so how exactly would I go about doing it?

Thanx

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (616 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
241 posts

Re: How can I get my ps3 to connect using NAT Type 1?

Dec 15, 2012

Kai-lash167 wrote:

I have a D-Link ADSL Router (DSL-2750U) 

I am not very clued up about what the difference is between a router and a modem is. I understand that I need a modem connected directly to my ps3 with an Ethernet cable to establish a NAT type 1 connection. 

I would just like to know if a NAT type 1 connection is possible through my router or would I have to get a modem to connect my ps3 directly to the internet. If so how exactly would I go about doing it?

Thanx

I think it may be possible to get NAT Type 1 but it's not a good idea. The best to have is NAT Type 2, because NAT Type 1 doesn't have a firewall which means your open in the air and it's more of a chance of you getting hacked.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (606 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 17, 2012
pretty sure nat 1 means it is directly connected to the internet... so for nat 1 take the cable out of the router and plug into the back of you ps3... I don't think there is much latency difference between nat 1 and 2 though, just that it is connected wirelessly. If you're getting nat 3 you will have to fix it in order to play most games online. just google nat 3 to find a fix.. Nat 2 is fine though.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (580 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 18, 2012

NAT 1, 2, and 3 is not quality status.  It's a connection status.

NAT 1 - NO NATing, the IP of the PS3 IP is a public IP; all ports nessary for communication are open.

NAT 2 - NATing is present.  The IP of the PS3 is private; all ports nessary for communication are open.

NAT 3 - NATing is present.  The IP of the PS3 is private; all ports nessary for communication are NOT open.  All features may not work.

To answer your question.  It's impossible to get NAT 1 with a router.  The closest you can get to a NAT 1 with a router in principle is to give your PS3 a fixed IP in your private network and put that IP in the DMZ zone on your router.

Hacking?  really?  There is no security or exposure issues with a PS3 being in a DMZ zone.  The PS3 is a closed system; the PS3 filesystem or operating system cannot being access or acted upon from outside the system.  I challenge anyone to state one factual case of an unmodifed PS3 being hacked from the internet... just one.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (566 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
48434 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Madafaku wrote:
pretty sure nat 1 means it is directly connected to the internet... so for nat 1 take the cable out of the router and plug into the back of you ps3... I don't think there is much latency difference between nat 1 and 2 though, just that it is connected wirelessly. If you're getting nat 3 you will have to fix it in order to play most games online. just google nat 3 to find a fix.. Nat 2 is fine though.

^ this.  No router = Nat Type 1

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (557 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Dec 18, 2012

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

Madafaku wrote:

^ this.  No router = Nat Type 1

Thankl you for stating what the OP already knew... he wanted to know if it can be done with a router.  Short answer, No.

"I understand that I need a modem connected directly to my ps3 with an Ethernet cable to establish a NAT type 1 connection. 

I would just like to know if a NAT type 1 connection is possible through my router or would I have to get a modem to connect my ps3 directly to the internet. If so how exactly would I go about doing it?"

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (555 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

Dec 18, 2012

Madafaku wrote:

NAT Status has nothing to do with "wireless" or "wired"; NAT (Network Address Translation) is router function that translates a private IP traffic to a public IP and vice-versa, this is what allows mucltple devices in a private network to use a single public IP.  NAT 1, 2, amd 3 on the PS3 is "NAT detection" status based on private to public IP translation and port access as stated previously.  There is absolutly no relationship between "latency" and NAT status.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (553 Views)
0 Likes