Aug 07 2013
By: Chewywalnut Lombax Warrior 147 posts

How can I get my hands on....

8 replies 224 views Edited Aug 7, 2013

A dev kit VITA?  I wantsss It

I would love to work for any gaming company but I believe that I lack the necessary requirements for hire. Well **** that im gonna buy everything I need to make a videogame myself. It may take me years but I will become a top industry game dev.
Message 1 of 9 (224 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Message 2 of 9 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Re: How can I get my hands on....

Aug 7, 2013
Thanks!!! Now all I need is moar extra cash....which shouldn't be too much of a problem.
I would love to work for any gaming company but I believe that I lack the necessary requirements for hire. Well **** that im gonna buy everything I need to make a videogame myself. It may take me years but I will become a top industry game dev.
Message 3 of 9 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13184 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Good luck on your project!

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 4 of 9 (170 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

Aug 7, 2013

You should start small. Maybe make some mods for existing PC games, and create some simple games that way you can build a portfolio. You're not going to get a big time programming job right out of the gate. You'll have to work your way up.

Message 5 of 9 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Aug 7, 2013
Im not looking for a programming job. I've been working on a game now for some years and this is just a test really before I drop dough on building a desktop and the unreal engine 4. Im really just going to give it a go for the heck of it. Kind of a one man dev team is what Im goin for.
Message 6 of 9 (157 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28838 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

Chewywalnut wrote:
Im not looking for a programming job. I've been working on a game now for some years and this is just a test really before I drop dough on building a desktop and the unreal engine 4. Im really just going to give it a go for the heck of it. Kind of a one man dev team is what Im goin for.

"Working for a game company" means you have a JOB with them. Whether it's freelance or a full time employee. And you're going to have to get your foot in the door before anyone in the industry takes you seriously. They aren't just going to be swell guys and take on an unknown property for the "betterment of the gaming community".

This is the long and short of it; posting on a message board is not the way to go about it. You have to make contacts within the industry, and the Playstation Indie development program is the way to do that. However be prepared for a lot of rejection.
You may have to sit on your project for a number of years before anyone will even look at it.

Contrary to popular "gamer" belief, you don't come up with ideas on the spot. George Lucas wrote the first script for Star Wars back in the early 70's. Todd MacFarlane created Spawn in 1979, thirteen years before the character appeared in comics. Before you say "that's different", not it's not. This is exactly the same thing. So even if you're persistent, there's no telling how long you'll be a "starving artist.

Message 7 of 9 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
147 posts

Aug 8, 2013

In essence what I mean is being the company by myself.  And yes both Todd McFarlane and George lucas did tose things ad had waited until recognized, yet my goal is simply to make a game. As you said I will have to make contacts in the gaming industry, yet those contacts can wait until I am satistfied with my own work.

To be honest when I posted this I was looking just for something that would allow me to create and hone my skills as a designer, developer, programmer, and artist, without having the looming presence of deadlines and trying to live up to other games, or one up them. This would allow me to create and revise on an impromptu basis In order to better myself at something close to my passion in life. It also allows me a better freedom than anyone in the gaming industry has at present. We all know that some games are came up with like most Ideas through brainstorming or a person just having "the vision", but I feel that If I can create without having to worry about what seems like a bad Idea being shot down, only to lose out on an oppurtunity to create something great that people would enjoy.

I guess what Im trying to say Is I dont want to make a game for the gaming community, but rather try and create something that makes me feel fulfilled in life. If I go back to the McFarlane statement, it can be said that he was just doing something he felt passionate about and when someone saw his work and recognized it he gained delay gratification from something that he was already personally satistfied with.

And working with a game company does mean that you'll have a JOB with them, but for how long no one knows. A job with a game company would be nice but If you have little to no experience doing said job, you may as well have applied to be the custodian(who actually get paid very well) for that company, and you may not even be qualified to do that.

I know this sounds like a pipedream and all but lets be honest Just doing something for the hell of it once in a while is the only way to live life to its fullest!!! It's basically an opportunity to show myself what I got Fly or fail.

And a small suggestion for the indie program that you caould prolly relay is that they should let the indie devs know why they were rejeected so that they can improve and work their way into the industry.        Personally I plan on running my own company to eventuall put a lot of companies i their grave but those are plans that all need to start somewhere( little friendly comp is never bad)

Thx for the advice tho, I will think more on what you said, 

Message 8 of 9 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Aug 8, 2013

Keep at it. 

Be persistent, and relentless.

Thats all I can say for you and your project.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 9 (82 Views)
0 Likes