Dec 21 2011
By: jgrizzle358 I Only Post Everything 891 posts

How To Fix PS3 Update 4.0 Freezing/Syncing/Glitching/Lag Issues

36 replies 54263 views Edited Dec 21, 2011

After doing an extensive Google search hunt for the past week or so I have finally stumbled upon a YouTube video uploaded by a poor soul who was one of the unlucky ones to have the new firmware update cause issues on their PS3.

However he found a fix.

It turns out that you can fix the issues the 4.0 update caused simply by re-installing the update.

but how do you do this? well, you can't do it via PSN, as it won't let you. You're going to need a flash drive.

go here: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/pc_update/index.htm

and follow the instructions.

If you're still confused I'll explain it.

It's actually very simple...

1. Stick the flash drive in your computer

2. Make a folder on your flash drive called PS3

3. Inside the PS3 folder make another called UPDATE (it has to be in all caps)

4. Go Here: http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/ps3/index.htm and download the latest firmware update (should be about 180mb, it will be named "PS3UPDAT" and the file extension will be .PUP)

5. Copy the .PUP file you just downloaded to the PS3 > UPDATE folder on your flash drive.

6. Stick the flash drive in your PS3

7. Go to Settings > System Update, and choose Update via Storage Media.

8. The system will inform you that the update already exists. Hit "yes" anyways.

9. Wait...

This will re-install the 4.0 update over the one you had installed already and will effectively (hopefully) cancel out any issues it caused.

I can confirm that after the 4.0 update my PS3 was freezing like crazy, at least 7 or 8 times a day, but after reinstalling the update my PS3 hasn't had any issues at all. I've been using it for 8 hours straight and nothing has gone wrong (usually something would by now). So this method fixed my issues and hopefully can fix yours too.

It seems that people that update their PS3 via PSN tend to be more prone to having issues with it than those who update via flash drive. So my suggestion is just to play it safe, update via flash drive from now on.

here's the video by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX4r65t-kK0

NOTICESmiley Tonguelease be aware that this method is only for fixing PS3 hardware and performance issues caused by the PS3 4.00 firmware update and should not be relied on as a method for fixing game-specific issues. If you are having issues with games such as Skyrim or Modern Warfare 3 I suggest you contact their developers.

Exophase Gamercard
Message 1 of 37 (54,263 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Re: How To Fix PS3 Update 4.0 Freezing/Syncing/Glitching/Lag Issues

Dec 23, 2011

i have also had freezing/data corruption/blablablabla    since 4.00, and i can confirm that this does work...for a day or 2, then it goes right back

Message 2 of 37 (54,262 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Dec 25, 2011

I just got a new ps3 and it keeps freezing sometimes when I pull up the XMB in games and when I try to install games it wont alow me to do so.

Message 3 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 26, 2011

Confirmed here as well. I was playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 and it will freeze completely on me. Ive had my PS3 for a year and never had a problem with any of the PSN updates until now. I never dropped my system and it is in a well vent area. How can a system that is well vent and taking care of all of a sudden stop. So I went into Recovery Menu (cant tell you how many freakin times) and I tried to restore the PS3 File system. It said it was corrupted, so I restored it but yet I try it again to see if it still read the same message and it did. How can your PS3 be that BADLY corrupted yet still turn on and you can play games and talk to people like you normally would? Doesnt make any sense, so I still thought it was still something with the HDD. I went back into Recovery and Rebuilt the Database, then check the file system again (still corrupted). So I already backed up my entire PS3 onto a 1TB HDD. Finally I formatted the hard drive (btw which was replaced with a 500GB when I first bought the PS3 from the 160) and then did a quick format. Checked File System, still corrupted. So the only thing I can think of last was the Update. What the heck is SONY doing. Are they going to replace all the PS3's if they get damaged cause of their update error?

Message 4 of 37 (54,262 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Dec 27, 2011

I did the re-update and had no change in the freeze issue. The issue is just with my Tiger Woods game and all others are working

Message 5 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 28, 2011

at least you guys have managed to get 4.0, mine just times out everytime at 20%, its not the system, brand new today. to be honest i have had nothing but issues wit the fecking thing since that whole hacking problem. you would have thought that sony would try and win back the trust that everyone used to put in in the playstation.  i dont care about all the fancy stuff you get with the the updates, sort out the issues the old ones have first, they need to remember that its a games console first and a media station second. sorry sony but i am seriously considering on moving to xbox, i have owned a playstation since the day they released the ps1 but xbox 720.....................im thinking its a safer bet.

Message 6 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 2, 2012

I've been happen big problems caused by this update, every time i'm on my PS3 it ocassinaly stuggles with loading any icons XMD or it will crash before they load and when I do get to move around the menu and select on an icon it either crashs or  refuses to load and I can't cancel it and does include the update option

Message 7 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
304 posts

Jan 11, 2012

I really hope this has been brought to the attention of SONY. I cant even get through 15 minutes of playing gametime without my system freezing on me. SO SO SO SO annoying.

Message 8 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jan 11, 2012

funboy1127 wrote:

Confirmed here as well. I was playing Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 and it will freeze completely on me. Ive had my PS3 for a year and never had a problem with any of the PSN updates until now. I never dropped my system and it is in a well vent area. How can a system that is well vent and taking care of all of a sudden stop. So I went into Recovery Menu (cant tell you how many freakin times) and I tried to restore the PS3 File system. It said it was corrupted, so I restored it but yet I try it again to see if it still read the same message and it did. How can your PS3 be that BADLY corrupted yet still turn on and you can play games and talk to people like you normally would? Doesnt make any sense, so I still thought it was still something with the HDD. I went back into Recovery and Rebuilt the Database, then check the file system again (still corrupted). So I already backed up my entire PS3 onto a 1TB HDD. Finally I formatted the hard drive (btw which was replaced with a 500GB when I first bought the PS3 from the 160) and then did a quick format. Checked File System, still corrupted. So the only thing I can think of last was the Update. What the heck is SONY doing. Are they going to replace all the PS3's if they get damaged cause of their update error?

You have to be doing something wrong for you to get that message every time. Seriously.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 37 (54,262 Views)
First Son
1 posts

Jan 30, 2012

I have a problem with my PS3 160gb after the update it will not read blu rays and ps 3 game disc anymore but it will read dvds and cds do you think this fix might work for that too?

Thank you for your time and help

Calvin

pennfire51@yahoo.com

Message 10 of 37 (54,262 Views)
0 Likes