Lombax Warrior
210 posts

Re: How Sony Could Make PS+ Just A Little More Desirable

Feb 25, 2011

It's different because you are actually a customer located in those other markets. If you GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY, then you are a buyer IN THAT MARKET. It's ENTIRELY different. If it weren't, then those products would be widely available here as well. Why do you think there are region locks on DVDs and Blurays for example (don't tell me that blurays are region free because there are bluray region locks. Though PS3 games are region free, doesn't mean Blurays are. Google it).

One perfect example, would be the issue with Battle Stadium DON. It was possible in Japan because only one company owns the licenses and rights to the characters in the game. However, here in the United States, Dragon ball, Naruto, and One piece are all licensed and distributed by different companies. So the game was not possible here. What you are failing to understand is that there are things called "license agreements". It's what I explained to you previously.

Different countries have different rules and regulations for distribution of product, which is why there are different departments for each reason. Do you think that that Sony made SCEA and SCEE just because they like to waste money? They are designed to deal with each different market and deal with each regions customs. Licensing is DIFFERENT in DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD. Like why Resident Evil is Resident Evil in Europe and North American, yet it's called Bio Hazard in Japan. There's a lot more to it that you don't seem to want to listen to or understand.

The world isn't simple, there's a lot more that has to be done other than "flipping a switch". I don't mean to sound condescending, but you made it blatantly obvious that you didn't really read what I or markburelson had to say.

Take a few business and marketing classes, and you'll understand (I am a 4th year business major, so I have many international relation, marketing, management, and economics classes under my belt). What I tell you isn't even debateable, it's factual. Any Sony representative will tell you the same exact thing.

Message 41 of 45 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
298 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Stubyph,

Please take a look at the link below and read what it states about the effects that licenseing a game for sale in differnt regions can be a problem. I should note for you that this is comming from an official Sony source.

Reprint from the EU Blog

http://www.gbgamer.net/2011/01/31/psone-classics-where-we-all-stand/

Actual link to the EU blog that isn't working right now

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011/01/31/psone-classics-where-we-all-stand/

This is the same reason why for a long time users in Canada were unable to view Netflix. Understanding the fact the licenses are used to restrict the use of content will help you understand your red and purple complaints. Until you understand what effect license restrictions might have on a user of digital content you will not understand why Sony is unable to give you access to all stores or let you stream content on a free-for-all basis in Home. It all basically comes down to copy right protection (this is the license issue). Sony does not want to get into the same trouble that youtube got into a few years back while people were uploading clips from tv show or how on justin.tv streams of live tv can be removed due to license restrictions (copy right restrictions) being violated.

Hulu is a differnt case as it has a license that allows anyone with the particular hard ware to view its content. Note that you used to be able to view Hulu in the PS3 web browser but Hulu decided not to license that content to PS3 users and blocked the access. You must in some form have a license to view any digital content. How a particular vendor chooses to deal with those licenses is up to that vendor. When you buy a DVD you are buying a license for that content for use in your own private home. If you look closely you are not buying a license that enables you to charge access to view that DVD to other people.

Message 42 of 45 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Hmmmm.so what's under that belt of yours when it comes to using the Internet to order things from other regions and I can buy it and have it shipped over to America...........................

And you can beat it with a stick buddy but when there is demand and money can be made....companies make new license agreements to get that money....

As well I am not to in the dark about such things...I have worked for people that sell products world wide....ChuckNash may not be in other regions of the world...never the less I bet you can still go to a Chevrolet dealership in other regions of the world and buy a Corvette there.....

Or is this not the case...I could have sworn my friend bought his GT-R at a Nissan dealership in Texas....He as well buy's Heineken at H.E.B. These combinations are endless...LOL

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 43 of 45 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Feb 25, 2011

The both of you still failed to get to the point of your argument..... License this license that....what about the Dad who has netflix so he is licensed and yet his children and every one else in the family can watch Netflix during the Family Reunion....and not no one else in the family has Netflix....LOL

I don't need to read "how well we are making money this way and that's what's on file so we can't make money any other way"....Fact of the matter is as I stated before demand and money that can be made will make licenses change....As it stands I don't think that SCE would make much more money by letting us region shop...so there for the effort to do so would hurt their pocket and they will not do it until...that money is profitable from the demand that it is asked.....

As well you both side steped the "well I have a Japan Profile and can buy Japan Content" What's the arguement on that????

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 44 of 45 (10 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1680 posts

Feb 25, 2011

Another thing too...I say this ya for Plus members but it could be an all around PSN type of deal......Allow us to DL more fonts and font colors for our PS3.....I'm sick of nice themes static and dynamic that are white and you can't read the XMB....

As well custom color maker to be used for our Profile highlights...this and the custom avatar would be a nice combo to go with my lil PS+ symbol

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Message 45 of 45 (10 Views)
0 Likes