Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 09 2012
By: disturbedlord7 First Son 2 posts

How Playstation Helped Me Through Depression

6 replies 2514 views Edited Dec 9, 2012

All my life I have been a gamer. My first game system was a Ps One when I was around ten and the joyful memories of being scarred from the horrors of Silent Hill still bring me laughs to this day. I followed with a PS2 and then a PSP and finally PS3 when the slim came out. I completed my PlayStation collection with a PS Vita in May but it was sort lived. Late last year I began to go through a stage of depression. I tried to hide it at first and did a pretty good job of hiding it but that soon became the problem.

Though I thought it was the best thing to do it soon overwhelmed me. Bottling up my emotions like that sent me into a state of super depression. I quit hanging out with friends, quit playing my PlayStation, stopped seeing my girlfriend, and started fighting with my family and friends. All of the pressure of this and on top of school overwhelmed me and I cracked. I was rushed to the hospital for attempting to commit suicide.

I stayed in the hospital for five days and attended counseling also. Though the guidance helped me come out, seeing how bad my family was devastated just made me depressed again. No one trusted me anymore and just the pain I saw in the eyes of my parents was just…unbearable. Around a week after I left the hospital my girlfriend broke up with me and about this time I felt the world was crashing all around me. Nothing I did could make me happy and was the worst person to be around.

I heard about Sound Shapes on IGN and thought it looked cool because I love music and decided I should pick it up. After picking up a money card from Wal-Mart and heading home I anxiously waited for it to download and dove right into it. I was starting enjoy it and was really beginning to get into this game but when I opened the Cities by Beck album things began to turn 180. Around half way through the first song I paused the game, put down my Vita and broke down in tears. Something about the song and still to this day I don’t know what it is, filled a gap in my heart and for the first time in a very long time I felt HAPPY. Being emotionally unstable I finished the album and laid in my bed to reflect about what I just experienced. Nothing like this had ever happened to me before and I felt so grateful for the people that created this masterpiece. Not long after that friends and family began to notice a difference in me. I started to get back to being my old self and enjoying life again. Sound Shapes made me realize that you don’t know what you got until you almost lose it all. In a strange way I feel like I am in debt to the people that made it and because of that I bought all of the DLC because I thought it was the least I could to for them. I really wish the developers could hear my story so I can give them the hugest thanks and tell them if it wasn’t for them I honestly don’t know where I would be right now. Sound Shapes will always have a place in my heart and thank PlayStation and Queasy Games for giving me an experience of a lifetime.

Message 1 of 7 (2,514 Views)
Splicer
33 posts

Re: How Playstation Helped Me Through Depression

Dec 14, 2012

i can just say: wow  :smileywink:

Congrats hope everything goes well 

Message 2 of 7 (2,397 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Dec 14, 2012
Thanks to https://twitter.com/hyperdude53 the developers know about your story now, see here: https://twitter.com/soundshapes/status/279408073028800512

Nice to hear that a game and its music managed to help you. Good luck from here on. :smileyhappy:
Message 3 of 7 (2,373 Views)
Santa Monica Studio Community Strategist
415 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

Disturbedlord7, your story is mesmerizing and inspiring, and further solidies to our team here at Sony Santa Monica, and furthermore the brilliant minds behind Sound Shapes at Queasy Games, how truly special and moving this game can be for everyone. It is a sound "Journey" worth taking, that should not be missed.

We could not be more inspired by how our game touched your life, and changed your course of direction for the better. Games are meant to be experiences that impact people in an emotional and moving way (whether that be joy, excitement, tears, etc), that is what we strive for here at Sony Santa Monica and why we work with amazing teams like Queasy Games, the creators of Sound Shapes.

I sent you a private message, please give it a read.

Continue your Sound Shapes journey and sharing your levels, be well, and know you have our full team behind you, and our utmost respect.

Cheers, 

Tank

Follow me @Just_Tank and @SonySantaMonica

Every day is community day!
Message 4 of 7 (1,793 Views)
PlayStation MVP
71 posts

Dec 14, 2012

Hello! I'm really glad videogames, SoundShapes in perticular, became a positive effect in your life! I managed to get the Developers to read your story and they were touched. They want to get in contact with you :smileyhappy: If you have a twitter please send me a mention to @hyperdude53 . They asked me to help you get in touch with them, you can send me a message on PSN ( SEN ) as well and i'll try to get them to contact you in an alternate way :smileyhappy:

Take Care!

Dan

Message 5 of 7 (1,781 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
71 posts

Dec 14, 2012

Yes! I am very happy videogames can bring a positive effect and joy into someone's life! I am really glad the Developers read the story as well since they were touched!  :smileyhappy:

Dan

Message 6 of 7 (1,770 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
71 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2012

Accidental double post, Oops!

Message 7 of 7 (1,767 Views)
0 Likes